512MB - not, in Compaq Presario 7461

Added 512MB to this machine. BIOS counts up to 128MB then red COMPAQ logo
on screen goes awry and machine locks up. Any suggestions? Memory seems to
match Compaq specifications (although they're vage on their website!).

Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Crucial, oddly, doesn't list a 7461. It does list a 7462 and indicates that
max memory is 512MB (2x256). My guess is your machine will not work with a
512mb DIMM
"Paul D.Smith" <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Added 512MB to this machine. BIOS counts up to 128MB then red COMPAQ logo
> on screen goes awry and machine locks up. Any suggestions? Memory seems
> match Compaq specifications (although they're vage on their website!).
>
> Paul DS.
>
> --
> Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Sorry, should have said its 2x256MB, as per the Compaq website
(http://www.hp.com/uk/support and search for Presario 7461).

Paul DS.

> Crucial, oddly, doesn't list a 7461. It does list a 7462 and indicates
that
> max memory is 512MB (2x256). My guess is your machine will not work with
> 512mb DIMM
> "Paul D.Smith" <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Added 512MB to this machine. BIOS counts up to 128MB then red COMPAQ
logo
> > on screen goes awry and machine locks up. Any suggestions? Memory
seems
> > match Compaq specifications (although they're vage on their website!).
> >
> > Paul DS.
> >
> > --
> > Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

hh

It needs to be Single/Low density RAM. For a 256MB DIMM, it will have at
least 8 chips on each side of the DIMM. If you put a high density DIMM in,
only 128MB of it will be detected.
HH

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It needs to be Single/Low density RAM. For a 256MB DIMM, it will have at
> least 8 chips on each side of the DIMM. If you put a high density DIMM in,
> only 128MB of it will be detected.
> HH

HH,

There are 8 chips on each side of the boards that I have. Should there be
more? Is there some other way to determine low/high density?

Cheers,
Paul DS.

TRENDING THREADS