520W enough for a 5970?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bromanbro

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
I currently have a E6400 (OCed to 2.9GHZ) system with 2 GB DDR2 RAM, an IDE drive, dunno how many fans (think 1 case fan), 6 USB2 ports, and currently, an 8800GT. I bought a 5970, planning to upgrade my computer soon, but wondering if I would damage it if I tried it in my current rig?

Solution

That power supply unit is grossly inadequate for a Radeon HD 5970 graphics card.

The Radeon HD 5970 also requires that the power supply unit have at least one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI-Express power connectors. Your ACE 520W PSUACE52012CM doesn't have any PCI-Express power connectors.

The label on your power supply also doesn't specify if the values are peak values or continuous values.

That power supply's +12V rail capacity is at most 26 Amps assuming the power supply is able to deliver its labelled power and the label is displaying continuous rating values and not peak rating values. It's, realistically, less than half of...

bromanbro

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

I don't wanna recable everything. Too much work since I already know that the E6400 will hevaly bottleneck the 5970. I'm just wondering if it's safe to put it in my current build.

bromanbro

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

Woohoo =D

Guru3D also stated "That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 50 Amps available on the +12 volts rails."

It's not the power supply's total wattage that determines whether or not the power supply is capable of properly powering the system. The only specification that really matters is the power supply's combined +12 Volt continuous current rating.

bromanbro

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

How do I find out about this +12 volt continuous rating?

Would it be dangerous if I just plugged it in to see? Would being underpowered possibly break the card?

What is the make and model of your power supply unit?

There should be a label affixed to the power supply showing the DC Output load table.

Power supplies that lack protection circuitry (e.g. OCP, OPP, OTP, OVP, ...) can destroy the components that are attached to them if/when the power supply fails.

That power supply unit is grossly inadequate for a Radeon HD 5970 graphics card.

The Radeon HD 5970 also requires that the power supply unit have at least one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI-Express power connectors. Your ACE 520W PSUACE52012CM doesn't have any PCI-Express power connectors.

The label on your power supply also doesn't specify if the values are peak values or continuous values.

That power supply's +12V rail capacity is at most 26 Amps assuming the power supply is able to deliver its labelled power and the label is displaying continuous rating values and not peak rating values. It's, realistically, less than half of what is required by the Radeon HD 5970.

To sum it up your power supply does not have the required connectors or the combined +12 Volt continuous current rating to even power up your system with a Radeon HD 5970.

Solution

Unfortunately that particular unit isn't going to power a 5970.
You need a new psu that's capable son.
Something good with 6 and 8 pin pcie connects and @650W.

Status
Not open for further replies.