5400 vs. 7200 RPM

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Would the average user notice the difference between a 5400RPM hard drive and a 7200RPM hard drive when using regular apps (Word, Excel, etc.) and a bit of gaming?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

The difference is there. For office it will depend how perceptive/patient you are. Everything will open faster, and any other cases where the disk is accessed will be less time consuming. For gaming, the games will open and load faster and depending on the game and your computer speed, the game might run more smoothly (my brother had a reasonably fast system but it had a 5400 RPM drive. Many newer games were jerky for the first 10-20 seconds of gameplay as the rest of the game was being loaded into memory. When he went to a 7200 RPM drive, the jerky time was cut to about 3-5 seconds).

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

FatBurger

Illustrious
They'd notice if they switched from 5400 to 7200. But if you gave them a 5400 and said it was a 7200, they'd never know.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

G

Isn't that always the way of things.
Just the other day I sold my grandma a 486 system as a 1.4Ghz Athlon. She was very impressed with the performance, and I made $1200 profit. J/K

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
You'd notice a difference. Like the other guy said, apps will load, open, and save faster. With games, you'll notice a difference when loading levels and stages.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
For just a second I thought you were serious. I was gonna track you down and beat you up :)

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

G

Nope. I was just trying to reiterate your point and make a joke at the same time.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, price is an issue, so can anyone tell me who makes the fastest 5400RPM hard drive?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes. a very destinct performance increase, provided the 7200 drive is of the same age or younger and has the same amount of cache and interface.

im eagerly awaiting the release of the 10,000rpm IDE drives... but i guess that wont happen for over a year :(

p.s. do the math.
5400rpm = 90 revolutions per second.
7200rpm = 120 revs per second.

if the heads have to move back and forwards to find data, the faster they reach it the better. and a faster spin rate means they can read more off the drive in any given unit of time.

My hamster really wants to give you a big kiss, you sexy hunk you!