Question 550w blew running RX580?

John 222

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
I have a XFX 550w full wired 80+ bronze. I recently bought the RX 580 Sapphire with a 8 and 6 pin power requirement. My PSU has two 6+2 pin ends that merge to one cable that works back to the PSU.

I plugged it in and it booted up fine. I loaded up a game to see how it ran and it worked fine for a couple seconds. Then the screen went to a dark blue color and remained there. After a couple of minutes I restarted my computer, tried it again and it happened again. I looked at the usage of the GPU on the monitor software I had and it seemed to be jumping around from about 1% to about 30% and back. I moved the cords around to try some different things, tried to turn my PC back on again and nothing. I don't see any lights or fans turn on when I hit the power now.

Incredibly confused and scared I fried my build. Anything helps, and just say if you could use more info. Thanks.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I have a XFX 550w full wired 80+ bronze. I recently bought the RX 580 Sapphire with a 8 and 6 pin power requirement. My PSU has two 6+2 pin ends that merge to one cable that works back to the PSU.

I plugged it in and it booted up fine. I loaded up a game to see how it ran and it worked fine for a couple seconds. Then the screen went to a dark blue color and remained there. After a couple of minutes I restarted my computer, tried it again and it happened again. I looked at the usage of the GPU on the monitor software I had and it seemed to be jumping around from about 1% to about 30% and back. I moved the cords around to try some different things, tried to turn my PC back on again and nothing. I don't see any lights or fans turn on when I hit the power now.

Incredibly confused and scared I fried my build. Anything helps, and just say if you could use more info. Thanks.
Yeah as said above, how long has your PSU been in use? Did it make any weird noises? Does anything seem sketchy about some of your components? (Don’t know if that makes sense)

John 222

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
Yeah as said above, how long has your PSU been in use? Did it make any weird noises? Does anything seem sketchy about some of your components? (Don’t know if that makes sense)

I've been using it for about two years but haven't had a graphics card for a significant amount of that time.
The exact model is a XFX Force TS Bronze Series 550W.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1184177-REG/xfx_force_p1550sgren_ts_bronze_series_550w.html

The card I bought was used so I guess that could be sketchy but I haven't heard anything weird coming out of the PSU.

As an update I can get the system to start now, but with some issues. When I'm just on my desktop the card will spike between 1% and 60% usage back and forth every couple seconds. As soon as I open a game or a program that uses the card the screen becomes a solid color, varying depending on the program.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS