Question 550w PSU and extension cables issues

simeon15

Commendable
Apr 30, 2021
My PC specs as follows:
R5 5600x, 6600xt, b550 tomahawk, lian li 215, 3 rgb 140mm fans, 2 nvme ssd, 1tb hdd, Cooler master mwe v2 550w bronze PSU
I have been facing black screen Kernel power 41 errors randomly ONLY when I game or ran gpu intensive games. After it crashed once, it would keep crashing after that. It would work fine under normal usage like browsing and entertainment but not gaming. This led me to believe it was either a GPU or SSD failure since my games were on the 2nd ssd. When gpu usage went high the system would shut off with the kernel 41 error and it seemed to have led to destroying that SSD, where the game was located. I ended up having to RMA the ssd thrice where they gave me a new one everytime. But as I replaced the ssd, the issue would stop, but it would then take 2-4 months for the exact same issue to resurface again. When I used to put the same ssd in another PC, it used to show a controller error in event viewer. So I kept blaming Gigabyte and I decided to try a diff brand ssd altogether. So after 4 months of usage without any issues with the new brand ssd, I encountered the same crash again, only this time the ssd didn't get destroyed by the sudden power loss. At this point I had tried everything, from RMA'ing my GPU and even trying a different motherboard.

Not having an idea as to what the issue was, I realized about my beautiful custom PSU extensions. I then remembered that the issues started 1 month after I had installed these cable extensions. I purchased them from a company in India called Kablemakers that seem to have a good reputation wrt quality. So when this issue occurred again, I decided to remove them and connect my components directly to the PSU. Guess what? It worked! No issues for one month now without the cables. I got in touch with their customer care, and he says that my 550w PSU might not be powerful enough to deliver power through the extensions added length. Over a period of time with the bends of the extensions it could cause further resistance that led to the issue resurfacing every 2-4 months. Honestly not heard about an issue like this. Could he be right or is it just bad extension cables. He is even willing to send over a 850w PSU for me to test out.

Lutfij

Titan
I have been facing black screen Kernel power 41 errors randomly ONLY when I game or ran gpu intensive games. After it crashed once, it would keep crashing after that. It would work fine under normal usage like browsing and entertainment but not gaming.
If a system reboots when under load, that can either be due to:
1| the PSU being incapable of delivering power to the system when taxed
or
2| you're having an overheating issue

I would ask the guy who made the extensions what the wire gauge used in the extensions are. The unit you have isn't exactly a good unit and I'd have picked out a higher quality unit not to mention a higher wattage unit to power your entire build. See if you can source a higher quality 650W unit and then try the sleeved extensions.

he says that my 550w PSU might not be powerful enough to deliver power through the extensions added length
That is neither fully correct neither blatantly false. Let's just say extending cables could cause this kind of problems you encountered.
Could he be right or is it just bad extension cables
Both options are possible. That is: better cables could work fine with your PSU and the cables you have could work fine with better PSU. However it is not possible to decisively blame extension cables for whole problem.

simeon15

Commendable
Apr 30, 2021
I have been facing black screen Kernel power 41 errors randomly ONLY when I game or ran gpu intensive games. After it crashed once, it would keep crashing after that. It would work fine under normal usage like browsing and entertainment but not gaming.
If a system reboots when under load, that can either be due to:
1| the PSU being incapable of delivering power to the system when taxed
or
2| you're having an overheating issue

I would ask the guy who made the extensions what the wire gauge used in the extensions are. The unit you have isn't exactly a good unit and I'd have picked out a higher quality unit not to mention a higher wattage unit to power your entire build. See if you can source a higher quality 650W unit and then try the sleeved extensions.
Yes it clearly seems that power was not being delivered properly to the system. The PSU is fine because as soon as I disconnected the extensions I haven't faced any issues since.
They use a 16awg wire. Yes, that is what I am guessing that getting a more powerful psu could solve the issue. Its just that I don't want to end up buying a new one only to finally end up with the extension cables actually being the fault.

simeon15

Commendable
Apr 30, 2021
That is neither fully correct neither blatantly false. Let's just say extending cables could cause this kind of problems you encountered.

Both options are possible. That is: better cables could work fine with your PSU and the cables you have could work fine with better PSU. However it is not possible to decisively blame extension cables for whole problem.
Makes sense, so I guess my only option is trying out a better PSU.

TRENDING THREADS