[SOLVED] 550w PSU with MSI B550-A

Solution
The motherboard itself doesn't really define the power budget. You need to specify what the cpu, gpu and expected peripherals. If you are purchasing a new psu right now I would not suggest going under a 750. The latest round of nvidia 3000 series really needs 750 to work and other than initial cost there is not any running efficacy penalty to to bigger than what you use. As this is pretty obviously not a new purchase you just need to add your components power needs up and make sure it doesn't exceed the psu. The biggest power pulls are going to be CPU and GPU.

jasonf2

Distinguished
The motherboard itself doesn't really define the power budget. You need to specify what the cpu, gpu and expected peripherals. If you are purchasing a new psu right now I would not suggest going under a 750. The latest round of nvidia 3000 series really needs 750 to work and other than initial cost there is not any running efficacy penalty to to bigger than what you use. As this is pretty obviously not a new purchase you just need to add your components power needs up and make sure it doesn't exceed the psu. The biggest power pulls are going to be CPU and GPU.

Solution

roid555

Prominent
Nov 29, 2020
ohh I see,
I buying ryzen 5 5600x and this MB and right now I have gtx 1050ti
I dont want to buy the PSU now its something I already have just dont know if it will be okay with it

should I close this post and open a new one if its now related to MB ?

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
ohh I see,
I dont want to buy the PSU now its something I already have just dont know if it will be okay with it

Your 5600x is a 65 watt tdp, The 1050ti is going to run around 75 watts. That adds to 140 watts. The motherboard itself will pull between 50-150 and hard drive will pull between 15-30 max. So assuming worst case with motherboard and a drive you are looking at 320. You shouldn't have a problem with this configuration at a 550psu. Just be aware that if you do decide to upgrade your GPU to something like a 3080ti (350 watts) the psu won't be enough.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
ohh I see,

should I close this post and open a new one if its now related to MB ?
80 watts for the processor (says 65 watts but not under full load) under full load, 75 watts for the video card could be more in the 80 area depending on the card, about 80 for the rest (or less depending)

Less than 240 watts under full load the PSU you have should work fine.