550w r9 390

MrRevan

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
First build.
Components are:
Intel core i3, GB Z170N wifi, corsair CXM 550w 80+ bronze, corsair vengeance 8gb, Xfx r9 390, seagate 1tb, and a diypc case with 4 built in fans.
I got all of my gear put together last night, plugged it in, and no dice. But when I unplug the peripheral cable that runs to my fans in the case and the graphics card, the GPU turns on. I tried it not hooked up to the graphics card and it still didn't work. So my question is is this enough power/good enough PSU to run this set up or did I just get a faulty one? I have read some of the forums here and other places and some say it's not good enough, others do. Have it boxed up ready to ship, just need to know if I should return and go bigger or exchange for it being messed up.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you really need a good 650w unit for that 390, CXM are not meant for high powered gaming systems

tier 1 or 2 unit:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Solution

The CXM 550W is different. The quality is a lot better and will be fine with the R9 390.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

tier 4 is not good at all

and he really needs a good 650w

Don't look at the tier list, look at the reviews for that particular power supply.
The CXM has had some new models introduced where the quality has been improved. No he does not need 650W, a decent 550W is enough. The silver CXM are the better units than the old green CXM units.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

from the reviews I can see, they still have bad caps

and these particular models seem not to like heat

Bad choices for a 390

while it is true that a 550w can handle a 390, you need GOOD models, like the xfx TS, evga GS, seasonic G, etc etc

The CXM are still pretty terrible, even if they have been improved from the original CX

Maybe good enough to run something like a gtx 960, not good enough for a 390 at all

wezegan

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
Yes, just like maxalge said, I just posted about a problem with my PC, surprise? CXM Series, and I have 750W, these are Tier 4, not meant for High End PC Gaming. These PSU gave me soo many problems, it is better to wait a little bit and buy a tier 1 or 2 PSU...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the issues stem from the fact that they can spike damn near 400w at times

weak psu's just cant handle it, and this leads to all the problems people have with these cards

this website did a story about it, but i cant find it

compprob237

Distinguished

Agreed. The CX-M 550w is not exactly the best PSU. Most consider it a generic, entry-level PSU and to not expect great performance. Judging by the DC output quality I wouldn't trust it with the task of powering a gaming computer. I also agree with the 650w and the Tier 1 or 2 suggestion.

400w I can believe during furmark. No idea what that bench does to AMD gpus but I've seen some crazy power figures!

I've had my wall meter plugged since I got the card and max spike oitsode of furmark (which is pointless) is 333w calculated gpu. So yes, I do agree a very robust psu is needed!

I would disagree, the CXM 550W is not the same as before. It has a new CWT platform, has improved its DC output and voltage regulation and it can withstand heat. With power spikes, that unit should handle a R9 390 as it supposedly can pull up to 700W depending on the temperature. The efficiency can almost obtain 80+gold rating.
The Vengeance 650 is essentially a similar unit but it's a multi rail unit and has all jap caps.
http://www.tomshw.it/forum/case-e-alimentatori/576766-corsair-cx550m-full-review.html

compprob237

Distinguished

I do not know the language that Falco75 speaks (Italian?) but from what I could piece together it seems the updated CX-M is better than the old model. It's still got a mix of low-quality caps but it appears they replaced the worst offenders with Nippon Chemi-Con which should help it produce a more stable output and be more reliable. The part that really got my attention is that they moved from group regulation to a DC to DC conversion. I have a few gripes about how the test was done, and that the reviewer's equipment is noisy (50mv is considered background noise?), but overall I might have to change my POV on the new CX-M.

Unfortunately, this still does not change my mind on the PSU suggestion. The CX-M is obviously not up to task with MrRevan's load since it's shutting down when his fans are hooked up. I'm kind of curious if those are Delta fans which can draw up to 40w each. :p

wezegan

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016

Maybe right now, but I won't risk myself again, I got many problems with a CX and a 7950, I just wouldn't risk again. I had a very bad experience with my PSU, ask maxalge, he helped my and he was right, IT WAS THE PSU and i thought it was a dead GPU, those PSU are not that great as people think...