56.72 driver problems

If I leave my computer for a while and come back, it won't wake back up now.
I have to do a hardware reset. When the PC reboots, it says there was a
problem with the Nvidia driver, and it offers to send a report to Microsoft.
Might have to disable standby mode for now.

Stuart

Windows XP SP1, Athlon XP 1800+, KT266 motherboard, Geforce 4 Ti4200

"Stuart Pierce" <stuartwpREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> If I leave my computer for a while and come back, it won't wake back up
now.
> I have to do a hardware reset. When the PC reboots, it says there was a
> problem with the Nvidia driver, and it offers to send a report to
Microsoft.
> Might have to disable standby mode for now.
>
> Stuart
>
> Windows XP SP1, Athlon XP 1800+, KT266 motherboard, Geforce 4 Ti4200

You know that's a weird one-I've seen it happen with other drivers over the
years but haven't had it happen since back in the 4x.xx days. Seems to be
completely random. I've also seen where if you have just your monitor set to
turn off at a set time sometimes you'll have to go in to Display Properties
and change it to get it to work when it was working fine with a prior set.
No rhyme nor reason to it.

Mike G

---

"Andy" <andyholland@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> Same problem here, besides the "problem with the NVIDIA driver" I had
> "graphics card failure". Reinstalled previous version drivers until it
went
> away. 53.03 seems OK, problems seem to be with 56.64 and 56.72. Don't
think
> there's anything wrong with your card.
>
> My card is an MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 4xAGP.

Sorry you are having problems, but I'm glad that it may be a software
problem and not my card failing. I have also had problems with the last 2
versions, though I think it might be worse with the last set. I just keep
sending in my error reports and hoping that someone will notice.

Stuart

With that non-FX card you should be using the 45.23 driver for stability.

--
DaveW

"Stuart Pierce" <stuartwpREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> If I leave my computer for a while and come back, it won't wake back up
now.
> I have to do a hardware reset. When the PC reboots, it says there was a
> problem with the Nvidia driver, and it offers to send a report to
Microsoft.
> Might have to disable standby mode for now.
>
> Stuart
>
> Windows XP SP1, Athlon XP 1800+, KT266 motherboard, Geforce 4 Ti4200

eddie

"Stuart Pierce" <stuartwpREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> If I leave my computer for a while and come back, it won't wake back up
now.
> I have to do a hardware reset. When the PC reboots, it says there was a
> problem with the Nvidia driver, and it offers to send a report to
Microsoft.
> Might have to disable standby mode for now.
>
> Stuart
>
> Windows XP SP1, Athlon XP 1800+, KT266 motherboard, Geforce 4 Ti4200

I have the 56.72 on XP, SP1, ASUS P4P800 Delux MOBO, FX5600, no probs as
yet....famouse last words.

Eddie

> Did you Uninstall the old driver after going to VGA or Safe Mode
> and then rebooting BEFORE loading the new driver ?
>
> You may need a dose of Driver Cleaner 2.0 ( www.guru3d.com ).
>
> John Lewis

Yes, I completely uninstalled the old driver first and rebooted before
From reading here, I think there is a problem with this driver on some
systems. Other people are having the video suddenly drop out, too.

Stuart

DaveW wrote:

> With that non-FX card you should be using the 45.23 driver for stability.

I have a Ti4200 and have had problems with the 2 previous drivers (56.64
& 53.03), looking at this thread I dont think i'll bother trying these
latest ones. I think you're safe using the 52.16 with non-FX cards
though. They've been working fine for me for a long time.