[SOLVED] 5600G vs 5700G for non-gaming build

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi all, i have a dilemma of sorts. I am trying to decide on the 5600G vs the 5700G from AMD. I am putting together a build that is not gaming intesive......and right now 5600g is ~ $136 while the 5700G ~ $178..........both really good deals in my opinion. I was thinking of getting the 5700G because it was slightly faster but i cant get it until after christmas while the 5600G i can get before christmas.........its not a huge issue but i was going to put system together and give at christmas........but i can do after............

thoughts? i know both are probably over kill for what i need but the 5700G is only ~ $40 more.........kinda seems likei should get it..........thoughts? i would appreciate your thougths and opinions.

Solution
I'd recommend something along these lines, assuming of course you do not require the addition of a discreet graphics card since you said these machines will not be gaming intensive. These will still run light games like Minecraft and other not demanding games fine at like medium 1080p settings, maybe even better than that, but certainly aren't going to run Cyberpunk worth beans. Not without a good graphics card.

It can of course be tailored. If you want a 1TB OS drive, you can do that. This is just a very solid place to start and I've done several of these builds using almost the exact parts, just different cases, very recently. All are very good stable machines.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz...
If this isn't for moderately serious AAA gaming, and isn't for a professional type machine that really NEEDS those extra cores, then it's a waste of money. For the average person who just watches video, browses the web, maybe runs some common light applications or even does a bit of recording and streaming, the 5600G is perfectly fine. And actually, it's perfectly fine for gaming as well. The only real benefit to the 5700G is that it has slightly, very slightly, better graphics, and slightly better multithreaded performance.

In general, they are very much the same minus the extra cores and slightly better graphics on the 5700G. If there is a reason for paying the extra 40 bucks, then it makes sense but unless there's more involved than you've said I don't see the need. Plus, it's actually only 124 dollars for the 5600G on Newegg right now if you use the promo code found under the price on this page:

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600g-ryzen-5-5000-g-series/p/N82E16819113683

5600G is MORE than enough for those tasks, and would be fine even for moderately intensive gaming, photoshop, lightroom, Microsoft office or any other commonly used applications. It's a very capable processor and is basically my go to right now for new builds both on this forum and on my work bench due to it's capabilities and low price. I can give you a full build outline that I'd recommend if you can give me a list of all parts you need for each build (Or just, "need everything"), your full budget for each build and where you are located, as in, US, Canada, Australia, UK, etc.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Cool. I have this in mind for my build. I want to use the M.2 memory of 1 TB...i was thinking the samsung 980 pro. Also, for a case i can't decide on micro ATX or ITX case and/or MOB. For the ITX case i found the cooler master NR200 for the micro ATX i found the Asus AP201 but it just went up in cost so not sure...........actually not sure on a lot of things. Oh, i did want to use DDR4 PC3600 32G of ram......i know its over kill but i did one with this a few years ago for my wife and she loves her system.

980 Pro is unnecessary and overkill for this kind of build. Sure, it can be used, but you can get a drive that's going to give you real world performance and longevity (using long lasting TLC NAND and not poor lasting cheap QLC NAND) for significantly less than a 980 Pro costs and with the same length of warranty and good support.

If you build using ITX parts, everything is going to be much more expensive and you'll be a lot more limited in your parts selection.

32GB RAM is fine, it's defiinitely WAY more than you are going to ever use, in fact, it's doubtful, VERY DOUBTFUL, that you'll ever even use 16GB much less anything more than that unless you run a lot of multitasked applications or very high end applications or VMs, but RAM is fairly cheap these days so if you have the $$$$ then that's your call. Personally, I'd recommend putting any extra money towards additional storage devices in order to keep a running backup of anything important in more than one place at any given time. Usually, that means a secondary internal drive AND then either a third internal drive or an external drive so that anything important such as pictures, music, movies, personal files and folders or anything else important is never only on one drive at a time because the question is never whether a drive will fail or not, the question is only ever WHEN it will fail.

Life isn't like the movies. When a drive fails it's very unlikely you'll get the chance to move the important data off of it to another location OR be able to recover anything significant from it. So keep that in mind when planning. Better to have an extra drive for backing things up than pumping up specs that might not be of much value to you. But, you can of course do both if you wish.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
ok, so 16G it is.......you convinced me...........

for the 980 pro......i am open to what you suggest.......i was just thinking of this because it was fast and samsung is a good brand with quality stuff...........and it was 1TB what do you suggest

So, what is your preferred budget for each of these builds and do you also need Windows licenses for them or do you have valid Windows 7, 8 or 10 licenses that can be moved to the new systems? All of which, if valid and attached to a Microsoft account in your name, can be upgraded to a Windows 10 or 11 license for free.

for the 980 pro......i am open to what you suggest.......i was just thinking of this because it was fast and samsung is a good brand with quality stuff
980 Pro is a PCI-e4.0 ssd. 5600G and 5700G don't support PCI-e4.0 so the ssd will run at PCI-e3.0. Buying the 980 Pro is a waste of money. Better buy a cheap PCI-e3.0 ssd like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3d...tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds100t3b0c or https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sw4Ycf/crucial-p3-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-ct1000p3ssd8

For most people a 1TB drive for the OS is plenty, and then perhaps a larger drive as a secondary for storing things like game files and installers, application installers, pictures, music, movies, videos, personal files and folders or whatever is not actually the operating system or an application, so that if anything requires you to reinstall windows like a corrupt update, infection or anything else, you can do that without having to worry about losing the other stuff or having to be bothered with moving it and then moving it back, worry about IS THAT STUFF infected now too, etc.

I usually recommend like a 500GB OS drive, and a 1 or 2 TB SSD for stuff that doesn't need to be on the OS drive, plus a third drive whether internal or external to backup whatever is on the secondary drive AND to backup images of the operating system you should make periodically using Macrium reflect or Acronis true image, or something similar, but if you want a 1TB drive for the OS that is fine too. Everybody has different needs and I can't guess at what those are for anybody other than myself.

For example, I am a pretty high end user in many ways and have ALL of this stuff installed (Gaming stuff is on a different drive), and I still have like 362GB of free space on my OS drive.

wJEK41g.png

So, do you have your heart set on an ITX build or are you ok with mid tower ATX or microATX? Kind of makes a difference on what we want to target as far as parts.

I don't prefer either, I just know that, contrary to what you'd think (smaller should mean less expensive), unfortunately, smaller when it comes to PC builds generally means moderately more expensive. If you can live with a mid tower build, you'll have a lot more options and it will cost less.

I'd recommend something along these lines, assuming of course you do not require the addition of a discreet graphics card since you said these machines will not be gaming intensive. These will still run light games like Minecraft and other not demanding games fine at like medium 1080p settings, maybe even better than that, but certainly aren't going to run Cyberpunk worth beans. Not without a good graphics card.

It can of course be tailored. If you want a 1TB OS drive, you can do that. This is just a very solid place to start and I've done several of these builds using almost the exact parts, just different cases, very recently. All are very good stable machines.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($118.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($107.39 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 87 CFM 120 mm Fan ($10.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $535.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-28 18:07 EST-0500

Solution
NEED it? No.

Is it a VERY good idea, if you want to see the highest possible boost behavior from your cores and see those cores maintain that boost for as long as possible? Yes, very important on Ryzen and lately, on Intel as well.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3492-ryzen-cpu-thermals-matter-coolers-and-cases

Not to mention, the Wraith coolers, ALL of them from the Stealth to the Prism, are EXTREMELY annoying with the tone and particular frequency they create, and tend to ramp up and down badly under loads. Drives you nuts. Believe me, the twenty bucks is WELL worth it.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
ok, i am convinced. Hey, another question. The OS.......you mentioned this before i should install this on the 500GB drive.......right? Also, the case fan.......doesnt the case already come with a fan? is this an extra fan ineed to install?

Yes, on the 500GB drive. And before you do ANY of this, just in case you are not already pretty knowledgeable in this area, I would highly recommend you read ALL of these, even if you are knowledgeable, it's a good idea. It never hurts to know WTF you are doing AND things do change from time to time so there's that as well. Especially making sure you attach any licenses to yourself via Microsoft account. Makes things so much easier later. Then, afterwards, you can always switch to a local account if you want.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
very important question............for storage you have two M.2 drives.....both of these go on the MOB.....are there two places for these to go?????? i thought you could only have 1 of the M.2 drives on a MOB

Both go on the motherboard. You want to install the 500GB (Or whatever size you decide to go with) for the OS in the M.2_1 slot (Typically this is what it is called) and the second and/or third drives in the M.2_2 and M.2_3 slots. Seems like there is a small, but observable difference in performance when using the M.2_1 slot for the OS drive since that M.2 slot is directly tied to the CPU lanes rather than the chipset lanes like additional M.2 slots are. Technically, it shouldn't matter, but that is SOP.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
the Rosewill PSU...this is a good one.........the one thing i remember reading a long time ago was make sure to get a good PSU. Is this one "good"? Long ago i thought Rosewill was a cheaper company but again i dont put together many computers.... so its been a while

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
really sorry to bother you .........another question..........the cpu cooler.........the one with "no color lights" its basically the same as the one with lights ........right? i dont know if i mentioned this but i am going to put one together for my sister (and i dont think she would like the lights) and my daughter (she would like the lights)