[SOLVED] 5600G vs 5700G for non-gaming build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi all, i have a dilemma of sorts. I am trying to decide on the 5600G vs the 5700G from AMD. I am putting together a build that is not gaming intesive......and right now 5600g is ~ $136 while the 5700G ~ $178..........both really good deals in my opinion. I was thinking of getting the 5700G because it was slightly faster but i cant get it until after christmas while the 5600G i can get before christmas.........its not a huge issue but i was going to put system together and give at christmas........but i can do after............

thoughts? i know both are probably over kill for what i need but the 5700G is only ~ $40 more.........kinda seems likei should get it..........thoughts? i would appreciate your thougths and opinions.

Solution
I'd recommend something along these lines, assuming of course you do not require the addition of a discreet graphics card since you said these machines will not be gaming intensive. These will still run light games like Minecraft and other not demanding games fine at like medium 1080p settings, maybe even better than that, but certainly aren't going to run Cyberpunk worth beans. Not without a good graphics card.

It can of course be tailored. If you want a 1TB OS drive, you can do that. This is just a very solid place to start and I've done several of these builds using almost the exact parts, just different cases, very recently. All are very good stable machines.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz...
Most Rosewill power supplies aren't worth crap. The Capstone M units are pretty good, and on sale right now so they are like almost 100 bucks cheaper than they normally are. Rosewill is Neweggs's house brand but they Capstone units have always been good, as noted here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/rosewill-capstone-750-m/10.html

However, I DID choose that as being the least expensive of the good choices, but it IS an older platform.

If you want a good second choice, which would probably be a better choice but is a bit more expensive, I'd go with this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $64.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-28 21:37 EST-0500

And while it's much larger capacity than you need, there are no other really good choices of lower capacity near that price and there is literally no reason to not choose a unit just because it's capacity is more than you need. It will just result in the unit likely lasting much longer because it will never break a sweat.

Review here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-toughpower-pf1-650w-power-supply-review

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
its kinda strange. when i use part picker to look up other alternative MOB i can not seem to find the one you selected. i can only find micro atx and mini itx boards..........any idea what i am doing wrong?

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
sorry to ask so many questions.........i hope i am almost done......placing orders now.......if you have time i was hoping to get your input on the ram question i mentioned.....and again, thankyou!!!!!! for you help!!!!

Steel Legend is fine, a little more expensive for really no additional features, but the quality is fine AND ASRock is fine. I have certain preferences and those are based mostly on a combination of initial quality and customer service AFTER the sale.

And on THAT subject, I can SHOW that ASUS is not who they used to be. And I can SHOW that MSI is a shirt heel company. Yes, shirts actually have nothing to do with it but you have to keep it real because family friendly site. So. LOL.

That mostly leaves us with Gigabyte who has been doing this just as long as anybody else, maybe longer, in fact, definitely longer than ASUS. And ASRock is an offshoot from ASUS. And MSI, just has no moral compass so it's very hard to want to support them.

Now, I like the quality of SOME of MSI's products, but what I don't like is this. And I have not seen anything yet that would lead me to believe anything has changed in this regard.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BXwCJtaZE

But I'd recommend products from any of these companies for somebody else if I felt it was a really good value based on quality for the price.

In that case, I still think ASRock and Gigabyte offer the most quality, value and features for the money. In general.

The B550-F is a better board, but the Steel legend is totally fine for this kind of build. And at least moderately less expensive. I would, and have, buy a decent budget ASRock board than pay stupid prices for ASUS boards that really aren't much if ANY better.

That was just a very generic build I did for you. I'm the kind of dude that if you want, I don't mind going through each component, but you have to realize that I do this all the time because it's just actually what I do in real life. Although, on the side really, but for the forum, it's actually relaxing and we do it just because we like to help people.

So, there are tweaks we can do to each part. If you wanted to do 700 per build, I could increase the reliability and performance, not to mention probably also add some additional storage space in, but I don't really see that it's that critical. I like putting quality and longevity over immediate satisfaction though, but the thing is, I already do that and can show you how I come to the conclusions that I do. Believe me, it's cumulative experience.

I have to be honest though. Trying to keep it real, for your budget, I did fudge the choice of PSU a bit, in both cases. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but I usually am very stringent about the idea that PSU is the most important component in the entire build. And it is.

So, if you WANT to invest a little more in each build and you want that additional investment to go into something that is undeniably important for the longevity of the hardware around it, and the build in general, you could make worse choices than doing this for the PSU which is for sure better than either of those others. And it's just ridiculous that there are no lower powered units that are less expensive, but, there aren't. So, this would be the next logical step up and it would actually, as an aside, give you just really good reliability plus also the ability to add pretty much any kind of hardware including even a big graphics card later IF you ever wanted to.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $89.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-29 02:34 EST-0500

But the others I listed, are totally fine. Market is crazy right now anyhow.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
hi, thanks for the update. I dont think either MOB we have mentioned has wifi.........is this right? i would need a wireless connection somehow ......any suggestions?

FYI: i already ordered the PSU that was $39.........so i hope this one lasts.

i liked your summary of the MOB companies. i picked the ones i did because they were the closest in price to the one you suggested so there was really no "thought" to them. Can you take a look at the ASRock and Gigabyte boards and see which one you would recommend. if i have to pay a little more thats fine. At this point the MOB is the only thing i have not placed an order for yet.

Thanks again.

A decent wireless adapter is going to probably run you around 25-75 bucks for something fairly decent in a PCIe x1 adapter. Or, you could go with something like this, which I have, and works fine on my laptop when I have it out in the garage which is around 50 ft from my house and has to go through two walls to get to the signal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D72GSMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But honestly, that B550 is 170 bucks (Not counting the rebate, which you WILL have to send in for and wait) so if you add another 20-30 bucks to that for some kind of wireless adapter, you're already paying the price of that Aorus Elite AX that is a much better board than the B550-F in my opinion, plus you won't need to buy an additional adapter. But, whatever works for you man.

Can also do this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T4E 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $24.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-29 12:54 EST-0500

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Note: the board you showed me is nice. But one thing is it only has a single HDMI output for a monitor. The B550-F board has an HDMI plus a display port so someone could hook up two monitors if they wanted.

DS3H is always pretty low end, on all chipsets and for all generations. It is the lowest quality board model that Gigabyte sells for all their chipset families. You don't want it.

I would say, maybe you are best off with the B550-F and an adapter then, because it's going to be awfully hard to get a decent quality board WITH WiFi and multiple display outputs for less than two hundred bucks.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
i think your correct. a few questions:
(1)the board you mentioned is a x570.......will this work with the 5600G? How to know if a MOB will work with a CPU
(2)If one removes the ATX requirement for the MOB .......and open up MicroATX and ITX.......can i even do this? The reason i ask is i found this one...it has wifi and multiple hdmi ports.........

The 5600G is compatible with a variety of chipsets, but X570 and B550 chipset boards are the only ones I'd entertain as options. B450 has some good models and good prices, much better than these others, but it is an older chipset so it lacks PCIe 4.0 and a few other features plus some boards from the B450 family may require a BIOS update before they will support any of the 5000 series boards. Even some of the older X570 models might. When looking at X570 I'd stick to X570S, with the S indicating that they are the newer versions of the X570 boards and as such they do not have nor require the chipset fan that is on all the earlier X570 boards. Any of the A520, B450, B550 or X570/X570S boards are suitable/compatible with the Ryzen processors prior to the Ryzen 7000 series that just came out, and there are additional chipset families as well that are technically compatible, such as B350, A320 and X370, but those are all much older and should at this point be avoided.

I would recommend looking at B550 and X570S models only, but an X570 board is fine too, should support the CPU, it's just that there's always a CHANCE that you could get a board with an older BIOS version that hasn't been update. For board models that have BIOS flashback or Q-Flash Plus, it wouldn't matter, because those boards could be updated without even having a CPU installed, so any compatible chipset board with that ability is an option.

What is the reason you need multiple outputs for graphics, you're planning to run multiple monitors? I mean, duh, obviously. So, exactly what types of inputs do each of these monitors have on them? Just HDMI and Displayport, or do either of them have DVI inputs on them?

You do realize that you can get adapter that will allow you to output video over the USB-C ports on any of these boards, to HDMI, right? I've never used one myself over USB-C, but it's absolutely an option although of course an adapter is again another additional expense. And, I'd prefer using displayport when possible anyhow.