[SOLVED] 5600G vs 5700G for non-gaming build

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi all, i have a dilemma of sorts. I am trying to decide on the 5600G vs the 5700G from AMD. I am putting together a build that is not gaming intesive......and right now 5600g is ~ $136 while the 5700G ~ $178..........both really good deals in my opinion. I was thinking of getting the 5700G because it was slightly faster but i cant get it until after christmas while the 5600G i can get before christmas.........its not a huge issue but i was going to put system together and give at christmas........but i can do after............

thoughts? i know both are probably over kill for what i need but the 5700G is only ~ $40 more.........kinda seems likei should get it..........thoughts? i would appreciate your thougths and opinions.

Solution
I'd recommend something along these lines, assuming of course you do not require the addition of a discreet graphics card since you said these machines will not be gaming intensive. These will still run light games like Minecraft and other not demanding games fine at like medium 1080p settings, maybe even better than that, but certainly aren't going to run Cyberpunk worth beans. Not without a good graphics card.

It can of course be tailored. If you want a 1TB OS drive, you can do that. This is just a very solid place to start and I've done several of these builds using almost the exact parts, just different cases, very recently. All are very good stable machines.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz...

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Hi all, i have a dilemma of sorts. I am trying to decide on the 5600G vs the 5700G from AMD. I am putting together a build that is not gaming intesive......and right now 5600g is ~ $136 while the 5700G ~ $178..........both really good deals in my opinion. I was thinking of getting the 5700G because it was slightly faster but i cant get it until after christmas while the 5600G i can get before christmas.........its not a huge issue but i was going to put system together and give at christmas........but i can do after............

thoughts? i know both are probably over kill for what i need but the 5700G is only ~ $40 more.........kinda seems likei should get it..........thoughts? i would appreciate your thougths and opinions.
You should consider if you need the extra 2 cores based on your usage pattern, and if your budget permits. The R5 5600G is actually a very capable APU by itself.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Darkbreeze thanks for your help thus far. I really do appreciate it and i have learned a bit along the way which is always good. I really like this kind of stuff but its difficult to stay on top of whats current and what you can do.....so thanks. If you happen to be around and see this again thanks.

Oh, one more question: What was the case fan for? still dont know why i ordered this but hopefully you can tell me. if not i can return it i guess.

i still have not ordered the MOB....i am going to post this as a separate question on the forum now. I lost out on the B550-F board. I probabaly should have ordered it yesterday when i had the chance now its way more expensive.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Sep 17, 2022
You want the case fan because extra airflow into the case will improve how well your CPU cooler works. A CPU cooler, no matter how good it works, will not work well if all the hot air is just being dumped into the case without any way to exhaust hot case air and get fresh cool air to come in. It looks like the case comes with 2 fans, your extra case fan is the 3rd fan which will help with temps and thus performance.

It is a cheap way to avoid getting thermally throttled and losing >5% performance gains for a couple of bucks. I bought a 5-pack of Arctic 140 mm case fans for $40 for my friend's PC and my PC with a total of 4 case fans for each PC case. Granted that my CPU is a 5800X3D and my GPU is a 6700 XT, I will need more cooling than you do, but I would not sweat the $10 you spent on significantly better airflow.

Also, you have learned an important lesson that I and many others have also learned the hard way. Always buy a good deal if you see it on Black Friday (ideally) or Cyber Monday (your last chance for a good deal). I ended up paying an extra $40 on my CPU because I thought Black Friday would be a better price, not realizing that the CPU sold out at the discount price long before Black Friday.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
yeah, i am kicking myself .....but i have to stop and accept that i am now going to have to pay more.....because i have to get the stuff before the holidays. Do you have any suggestion for a MOB? i listed two below but i am not sure about will my M.2 and ram be ok on these............and/or if there are other MOB i should consider

Amazon.com: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC (AM4 AMD/B550/ATX/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/Intel Dual Band 802.11AC WiFi/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe 4.0/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) : Everything Else

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING AM4 ATX Motherboard - Newegg.com

rethinking the dual monitor thing............what about this one
Amazon.com: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC (AM4 AMD/B550/ATX/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/Intel Dual Band 802.11AC WiFi/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe 4.0/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) : Everything Else

looks like it got good reviews. would it support both of the M.2 memory i have selected? if this works i may just go with this......its more than i want to spend but i can get it here to me soon .........is this a good one to get?
This is a VERY good board, with a really good VRM configuration, AND it has both HDMI and Displayport outputs on it. It also has two M.2 NVME slots.

The case fan is for the rear exhaust, as that case comes with two preinstalled front intake fans but does not come with any preinstalled exhaust fans at all. While this is not a really high TDP build, it would still be a good idea to have at least the rear exhaust fan in addition to the two front intake fans. They can be set at very low RPM using the BIOS fan configuration so that they don't ramp up at all until motherboard temperature hits around 50°C which it probably won't ever do anyhow, and then at that point starts climbing until fans are at 100° when the motherboard is about 80°C, which it will almost certainly never achieve unless you live somewhere that has EXTREMELY high ambient temps in the summer and no cooling in your house. And maybe not even then.

In any case, that's what that fan is for.

The board I am currently running in my main system is a Z690 Aorus Elite AX. The board I just got for my Ryzen system on the bench is an X570 Aorus Elite AX. So yeah, I'm probably going to go ahead and say I don't have any problems with that model. LOL.

Sep 17, 2022
yeah, i am kicking myself .....but i have to stop and accept that i am now going to have to pay more.....because i have to get the stuff before the holidays. Do you have any suggestion for a MOB? i listed two below but i am not sure about will my M.2 and ram be ok on these............and/or if there are other MOB i should consider

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING AM4 ATX Motherboard - Newegg.com
Honestly, I hate overpaying for mobos for features (WiFi!) that can be added by a PCI-E addon card for $25. The mobo I bought for my 5800X3D is the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 from Newegg for $130. This model actually gets higher reviews on Newegg vs either of the models you listed and you can save $60.

If you already bought your mobo, disregard my post.

You can definitely get an AX PCIe adapter for 25 bucks, but I suggested that previously and they didn't seem very responsive to it. There might also be specific reasons why an additional expansion card might not be desirable in some situations, but it's certainly an option.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I did already buy the board. i hope i did not make a mistake by doing so.

Question: the heat sink.....i watched a video on it and it says that it requires thermal paste.....is this something that is included or do i need to order it. part has not come in yet so i cant look if its included.......

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
question: i have gotten screwed by newegg and the MOB i ordered ....its a long story..........anyway, suffices to say the MOB are not coming by christmas ...........i am trying to get this built to give to my sister when i see her (we live far apart) at christmas..........so my only other option is to buy a MOB locally and here are my choices ..............and i wanted to know what you think.

(1) MSI - B550 GAMING PLUS (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen 2 AMD ATX GAMING Motherboard PCIE Gen 4 - Black.. will this support the two M.2 memory you recommended. also, i will have to get a separate wifi thingy. fyi: this board cost $159

(2)MSI - B550 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD ATX GAMING Motherboard. This board cost $199

if you could help i would appreciate it.

Last edited:

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi, Turns out Newegg was able to get me one of the MOB to me before christmas.
Question1: The extra fan that you suggested i get........is it to be mounted on the "back" of the case , opposite the front of the case?

Question2: The two M.2 memory sticks..........one is 500G and one is 1TB. Does it matter which one goes in which M.2 slot?

Question3: I am assuming that i am to install the OS onto the 500G M.2 card.......is this correct?

Assuming that case came with one or two fans installed in front, which I think it did, then yes, that fan was intended to be put in the "rear" fan location. If another fan is ever added at some point you would want to install it in the "top-rear" location.

Whichever one of the M.2 drives you use for the OS, and I'd recommend using the 500GB one for the OS and the other one for games, files and backups, (In addition to also having another drive or external drive for a second copy of any backups or important files, just in case.) the one for the OS should be installed in the M.2_1 slot which is the one closest to the CPU.