Question 5600x + 280mm AiO high temps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 12, 2022
Case: Cooler Master NR200P Max (built in 280mm AiO)
Mainboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro Ax
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Asus Rog Strix 3070 OC

Ambient temp: 25c

Hello,

I've been going through a lot of threads and I've seen many posts about this very issue, though many seem to use the stock cooler
and have even better temps than me.
My idle temps are 45c-60c and on startup it even reaches like 75c for some time before it goes down.
Yes I've seen that this CPU is supposedly safe under 95c and is "normal"
but no way others get like 35c idle and 70c on load with the stock cooler and here I am with my 280mm AiO looking like a fool.
I also read that it's a supposed issue with Gigabyte and/or their temp sensors but some people with different mainboards seem to have the same issue.
Cinebench r23 / AIDA 64 10 min run reach 83c max with 4440Mhz on all cores (it doesn't even make use of the full boost clock speed).
In CSGO I have temps like 70c-75c with CPU usage of maybe 20-30%.
I have remounted the pump 3 times already, pump speed 100%, no changes. Windows power plan set to balanced.
Also I don't want to play around curve optimizer and undervolting and stuff that I read about because I simply shouldn't need to in the first place.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm haven't thought about water wetter in years. It's main purpose was it lowered the surface tension, lowered the coefficient of friction. Made it flow easier through restrictive parts like the micro fins and jet plates. Also went a long way to dissolving larger air bubbles, no surface tension to hold the air together, they'd just disperse.

I just use distilled with some biocide and a coloring dye.

If ID Cooling is using the same formula as Corsair, nzxt or Fractal, the poly breaking down or creating fungus sludge won't be an issue, with the big names who've been around the block for years, they've gotten it as close to perfect as it'll get. If ID is using Enermax or other relative newcomers who decided to create their own formulas, and inevitably screwed it up, you'll know in about a year or less

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hmm haven't thought about water wetter in years. It's main purpose was it lowered the surface tension, lowered the coefficient of friction. Made it flow easier through restrictive parts like the micro fins and jet plates. Also went a long way to dissolving larger air bubbles, no surface tension to hold the air together, they'd just disperse.

I just use distilled with some biocide and a coloring dye.

If ID Cooling is using the same formula as Corsair, nzxt or Fractal, the poly breaking down or creating fungus sludge won't be an issue, with the big names who've been around the block for years, they've gotten it as close to perfect as it'll get. If ID is using Enermax or other relative newcomers who decided to create their own formulas, and inevitably screwed it up, you'll know in about a year or less
We need more open loop choices. CPU cooler is great but my RTX3080ti OC whatever model makes a perfect space heater and runs a lot hotter than the 5950x.

May 12, 2022
The EVGA 280MM cooling the 5600x was very loud. It was in the same room as my AV system. Cooler noise level was ridiculous. Then when I replaced the 5600x with a shiny new 5950x. Bought a 360mm ID-COOLING Auroflow x360 which is almost silent. Not a well know company but it works great. Hopefully it will live for awhile. I will know immediately if it fails. The 5950's thermal protection will shut it down quickly.
The Evga CLC 280 in germany right now is 50€. Replacing the fans with arctic p14s which are pretty good performance to noise ratio wise would cost like 70€-75€ and would be a steal. I was gonna do it actually but I that ugly pump block kept me from buying it. I got the Kraken X63 which cost me 80€ more, stonks.

Reactions: JeffreyP55
well i had similar issue where my top radiator was heating up more than it should and it got resolved by removing dust filter on top of it....not sure whats the point of dust filter for an exhaust

anyway... do you use two 120mm fans as intake? single 120mm might not be enough for your case room size

what are your VRM temperatures, if they are hot, they can heat up PCB around it, which will also rise your CPU starting point temperature

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
The Evga CLC 280 in germany right now is 50€. Replacing the fans with arctic p14s which are pretty good performance to noise ratio wise would cost like 70€-75€ and would be a steal. I was gonna do it actually but I that ugly pump block kept me from buying it. I got the Kraken X63 which cost me 80€ more, stonks.
Sounds like a decent price. However I am in the USA.