[SOLVED] 5600x 62 celsius idle temp with H150i elite cappelix

Feb 4, 2021
UPDATE:

When I first installed the cooler I was told to screw it thumb-tight. However I think that was the reason my cpu was hitting high temps on idle. I screwed the aio really tight, and
to be safe I clean-reinstalled windows.

That fixed my problem, and I also managed to overclock the 5600x to 4.65Ghz all core sitting at 31C idle and 78C Max load. Single core boosts to 4.85Ghz.

Specs :
msi x570
r5 5600x stock settings
h150i elite cappelix, push pull rad top mounted exhaust
4x8 3200 cl16 vengeance pro rgb (xmp 1)
Gpu is a 1030 while i wait for a 3080 hybrid.

I'm having idle temps of 62 deg, 81-80 full load.
No overclock undertaken, power plan is windows ultimate. (somehow AMD power plans are not appearing, already tried installing them to no avail)
icue pump is set to balanced.
Did a benchmark in Cinebench R23, all core score was 9939 with temps at 81 with 100% utilisation.

Last edited:
Solution
Be careful doing that.
You can damage the cpu and or the socket.
If it starts acting strange the first thing I would be thinking would be to loosen those up abit.

I general go hand tight then maybe 1/8 of a turn with a screwdriver.

On a fx-8350 I installed in my son's system before upgrading him to ryzen I hand tightened only and it gave me fits till I backed off the thumb nuts.
It would help the Guy's out to know exactly what your specs are.
All we see is 62c on a x570 and a h150i.

So knowing no more then that.
What software are you using to get that temp reading? Ryzen Master is the most accurate.
Are you sure you installed the h150i correctly for a good mount, and install Icue?
Set the pump in icue to extreme?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And what are you using to read the temps? There's a very large difference with only reading the idle temp of 1 core vs the entire cpu. At idle Ryzens put all cores except 1 to sleep, so the entire load of any background processes, services running, Antivirus etc etc is all lumped into 1 core. That puts a Ryzen core at higher loads than having that load spread out over all the cores on an intel. For a faster boosting cpu, that means higher bumps in temps. Ryzens often bounce between 40-60°C. On one core. The other cores are sitting at 2.2GHz and barely warm by compatison.

Move the mouse, wake out of idle, wakes all the cores, temp goes down across the board.

I'd recommend Coretemp. Stick it in the bar, you'll see a single temp (hottest core) but if you hover the mouse over that temp, it shows all the cores. Or just open it.

Feb 4, 2021
And what are you using to read the temps? There's a very large difference with only reading the idle temp of 1 core vs the entire cpu. At idle Ryzens put all cores except 1 to sleep, so the entire load of any background processes, services running, Antivirus etc etc is all lumped into 1 core. That puts a Ryzen core at higher loads than having that load spread out over all the cores on an intel. For a faster boosting cpu, that means higher bumps in temps. Ryzens often bounce between 40-60°C. On one core. The other cores are sitting at 2.2GHz and barely warm by compatison.

Move the mouse, wake out of idle, wakes all the cores, temp goes down across the board.

I'd recommend Coretemp. Stick it in the bar, you'll see a single temp (hottest core) but if you hover the mouse over that temp, it shows all the cores. Or just open it.

Using HWMonitor and Ryzen Master to monitor temps, idle at boot is 60.

Feb 4, 2021
It would help the Guy's out to know exactly what your specs are.
All we see is 62c on a x570 and a h150i.

So knowing no more then that.
What software are you using to get that temp reading? Ryzen Master is the most accurate.
Are you sure you installed the h150i correctly for a good mount, and install Icue?
Set the pump in icue to extreme?

Sorry my dumbass forgot. I've updated it.

A quick google search shows people with high idle temps, but not as high as mine with the h150i. Maybe I didn't mount the cooler close enough to the cpu? Thumbscrews are already pretty tight

Feb 4, 2021
So if you don't have the different power plans did you install the Amd Chipset drivers?
Also set the pump speed to extreme.

I researched and found out that 5000 series processors dont need amd power plans anymore https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/missing-power-plans-on-amd-ryzen-5000-series/td-p/259920

I managed to fix my problem by screwing the cooler as tight as i could with a screwdriver. Just to be safe i clean reinstalled windows. I'm currently sitting at 32 deg idle, 78 deg at 100%.

Be careful doing that.
You can damage the cpu and or the socket.
If it starts acting strange the first thing I would be thinking would be to loosen those up abit.

I general go hand tight then maybe 1/8 of a turn with a screwdriver.

On a fx-8350 I installed in my son's system before upgrading him to ryzen I hand tightened only and it gave me fits till I backed off the thumb nuts.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS