[SOLVED] 5600x getting 40-50 temps idle

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
the weird thing is that the cpu usage is only around 3-4%, and any help would be appreciated.

i am also getting lag spikes on google chrome. where my screen ill freeze for a few seconds every once in a while.

this just started to happen today.

Solution
Ryzen are not Intel. So toss out any pre-conceived notions of what temps (especially at idle) should be.

An intel at idle drops speeds and voltages on all cores, but all cores remain active, so any background tasks get spread out amongst multiple cores. Temps are only reported on the hottest of those cores at any given time period. So you'd see 32°, but all the other cores will read @ 29-31°C.

Ryzen are different. At idle they lower clocks and voltages, but all cores are put in sleep mode except 1. That single preferred core will carry the full load of all the background tasks, and every new task startup hits high load % on single core, so you'll average closer to 40-45°C idle and spike 60ish°C or maybe higher, depending on when the...

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Ryzen chips are not the coolest chips. Intel chips run much cooler in my experience. I see temps on my intel chips in the 20's a lot.

If you want better air cooling get a Fuma 2 its 59.99. Sell your old cooler.

Be sure chrome is updated, bios, and windows patches are current.
my air cooler is the cooler master hyper 212

i literally restarted my computer, let my pc cool down for a while, and it seems fine now. 🤷‍♂️

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen are not Intel. So toss out any pre-conceived notions of what temps (especially at idle) should be.

An intel at idle drops speeds and voltages on all cores, but all cores remain active, so any background tasks get spread out amongst multiple cores. Temps are only reported on the hottest of those cores at any given time period. So you'd see 32°, but all the other cores will read @ 29-31°C.

Ryzen are different. At idle they lower clocks and voltages, but all cores are put in sleep mode except 1. That single preferred core will carry the full load of all the background tasks, and every new task startup hits high load % on single core, so you'll average closer to 40-45°C idle and spike 60ish°C or maybe higher, depending on when the actual read of temps occurs. Could be right before a spike and you don't see the temp change, or right after the spike ends and still don't see it, or right at the spike and you get a 70°C hit and freak out.

But all that temp is read on a single core, it's not the active temp of All cores or the entire cpu.

Soon as you move the mouse (1/256th of a second later) all cores are fully active and background tasks are split up over multiple cores, temp goes down proportionally.

Solution