[SOLVED] 5600x low budget motherboard for OCing memory?

Nov 22, 2020
Bought Crucial 2x8GB 3600 CL16 Ballistix sticks and a 5600x and I am running a GTX 1080 currently. (prob get a 3080Ti later on)
My goals are 1080 low latency fps gameplay.
I heard all about the dual vs. single rank thingy and researched for a bit.
I saw some benchmarks that listed 2 single ranked sticks @3600\3800MHz beat dual rank kits so I went with the 2 crucial single rank sticks since they are cheap.
Which budget motherboard should I get if I want to run the memory at least 3600MHz and try to lower the timings on in? (I'll use XMP first and go from there according to a guide I read)
Really don't need any features on it besides supporting 3600MHz+ and be favorable to OCing the memory.

Solution
I had my eyes on a https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-PRO-rev-10#kf
this is a mini ITX board and I have no clue if that is a problem.
What should I look for? better heatsinks?
It says it can run over 4000MHz which is nice.

BTW,
Do you think the 3600MHz CL16 kit should be able to achieve 3800MHz 1900FLCK with tuned timings?
That's an mATX board, not mini ITX. It's not a problem...in fact I'm running a B450m Mortar (mATX) board with a 3700X processor and 3200 rated memory at 3600, CAS 14, and a B350m Mortar with a 1700X processor and 2666 rated memory at 3000. That's no guarantee of what you'd get on that board but it certainly shows you it's possible on mATX.

Some of the reports I've seen suggest you get...
Really don't need any features on it besides supporting 3600MHz+ and be favorable to OCing the memory.
If you've been reading up on it you'll know that memory overclocking depends more on the CPU silicon quality. 3600 is more likely than ever, of course, but I'd just make sure of getting low latency memory to start with. That will help as you tweak timings down as far as possible.

Not sure what you'd consider 'low budget' either as that could include getting one of the B450's (from Asus and Asrock that I know of) that have BIOS's for Zen3. I'd suggest, though, going with a mid-range B550 at least as they're made for PCIe gen 4 and so are probably of better PCB layup quality which helps with data path signal integrity.

Nov 22, 2020
If you've been reading up on it you'll know that memory overclocking depends more on the CPU silicon quality. 3600 is more likely than ever, of course, but I'd just make sure of getting low latency memory to start with. That will help as you tweak timings down as far as possible.

Not sure what you'd consider 'low budget' either as that could include getting one of the B450's (from Asus and Asrock that I know of) that have BIOS's for Zen3. I'd suggest, though, going with a mid-range B550 at least as they're made for PCIe gen 4 and so are probably of better PCB layup quality which helps with data path signal integrity.
I had my eyes on a https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-PRO-rev-10#kf

BTW,
Do you think the 3600MHz CL16 kit should be able to achieve 3800MHz 1900FLCK with tuned timings?

BTW,
That's an mATX board, not mini ITX. It's not a problem...in fact I'm running a B450m Mortar (mATX) board with a 3700X processor and 3200 rated memory at 3600, CAS 14, and a B350m Mortar with a 1700X processor and 2666 rated memory at 3000. That's no guarantee of what you'd get on that board but it certainly shows you it's possible on mATX.

Some of the reports I've seen suggest you get better memory OC potential with 6 layer PCB's, but I don't know that's as true anymore with the more capable CPU memory controllers since Zen2. You can usually tell it's 6 layers by the lack of visible traces on the surface of the motherboard between the CPU and memory. And by the much, much higher price it can come with. I don't know of any mATX boards in 6 layers.

Getting 3800 without de-syncing the IF is purely based on silicon quality of the CPU. They SAY it's far more likely with Ryzen 5000 than it was with Ryzen 3000 but it doesn't sound like it so far from reports I'm reading. Maybe it will be better with the new AGESA AMD's working on.

Last edited:
Solution