[SOLVED] 5600x makes my freeze kinda freeze??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2021
Hey i bought a RYZEN 5600x back in january, and since then i have had the problem since. In the start i thought it was because of bad windows install, so i reinstalled, after some time it started again. Then i thought it was because of bad memory, also not the problem. Now i read an article about, some bad 5600xs that will make your pc freeze which mine does. It wont freeze 100%, i can still move mouse arround, rightclick and get the joblist up, but the joblist wont respond, just like all the other programs. It will freeze, randomly, sometimes when i start the pc, sometime after the pc has been working for 5-6 hours. ALSO TRIED UPDATING BIOS. Even thought it was because of my keyboard or mouse..

Specs are:
B550 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 5600x.
1660 Super.
G-skill 16gb cl16 3600mhz.
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Corsair RM650 gold.
A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB - 512GB
Seagate Barracuda Harddisk ST2000DM008 2TB 3.5" SATA-600 7200rpm

VIDEOS OF WHAT HAPPENING: (wetransfer link)
View: https://youtu.be/r_2X06XO7ug

View: https://youtu.be/IEhWn1BGkqw

View: https://youtu.be/yNhxM63vnsg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
Even Ryzen 5000 series is still a bit more sensitive to RAM speeds and a tad more problematic to get working at some of the higher clock speeds than Intel-based rigs, but, certainly having'3600 MHz' listed as a supported XMP option ' is no where near the same thing as it 'working and being rock solid'...(if that were the case, everyone would love to have 3600 MHz or higher, which will not happen successfully with anywhere near all mainboards/CPUs/RAM kit combos)

It almost sounds as though you are refusing to try the very simple step of testing with lower RAM speeds , instead insisting 'it should work as it's listed in the BIOS'? 3600 MHz (actually 1800 MHz) is an overclock. At least test the rig for stability with 2666 MHz..or with just one RAM stick...or both.

Good luck
Just be sure they're in the right two slots if it's a 4 slot board: the 2nd and 4rth from the CPU.

Updating the Chipset drivers didn't do the job either.. PC worked fine, after doing it, but ofc, the freeze happens so randomly, that i wont say that helped.

Oct 22, 2021
Only happends in programs that don't have high load fx. FPS games, or games like Warzone.
I am on the same boat, so do many ppl not in this forum. Brand new components, fresh installs.

I had more than a decade troubleshooting experiences on both hardware and software, and tried almost everything to eliminate software related issues including drivers, OS, apps, services, and pretty sure it has nothing to deal with that.

Anyways, have you got any update before we can go further?

Reactions: SeBa_SCS

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am on the same boat, so do many ppl not in this forum. Brand new components, fresh installs.

I had more than a decade troubleshooting experiences on both hardware and software, and tried almost everything to eliminate software related issues including drivers, OS, apps, services, and pretty sure it has nothing to deal with that.

Anyways, have you got any update before we can go further?
You really should start your own thread. Be sure to list all of your installed components so others know what you are working with.

Jan 21, 2021
Oct 15, 2021
Hey Seba, i saw your feed, and our problems are identical.. I will make an RMA, and hope i can borrow a 3600 in the meanwhile from a friend.
I hope it works for you. I have a question, after you did a fresh windows installation, how many days did you go without any freezing? I did a clean installation on friday (disabling Armoury Crate too) and Saturday/Sunday it's been working fine.

Oct 15, 2021
But could also be less. it's not like im using my pc just for streaming and watching youtube, facebook or other social media, and as you know it only happens doing those things.
Thank you for the answer, I'm asking because I did this clean windows install on friday, I've done some youtube, social media stuff on weekend, I even let a youtube playing for long hours to see if it freezes but it didn't. So I was asking because I'm concerned that the problem might get back in the next days because it is so random.
So just to be sure:
You could do light work on your PC for 2-4 weeks before it happen? or in that timespan you didn't do anything light so the freezes didn't happen because of that?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021
Mine last about 1 day to 3 days max before it freezes up. I suspect a faulty CPU (I have a 5600X on Asus Tuf Gaming plus B550 board) . The freeze came from nowhere, I also tried Windows 11, and same thing. It never froze during stress tests on my CPU, SSD (WD SN750) and Memory (T-force delta). I tried different BIOS settings (Auto/manual/whatever) , disabled OC on CPU and xmp profile as well. The freeze only occurs when the CPU load is getting low. (e.g. when I was browsing , youtube, messaging), but more often when I left the PC untouched for 10-30 minutes. The biggest challenge is that we do not have extra mobo to swap in and out so it is very difficult to narrow down the root cause.

At the moment, I am trying to enable the game mode on my SSD (disable power saving I believe) before I look into CPU and motherboard swap. Since you are going to find a CPU to test, I will try something else first. Good Luck!

Oct 15, 2021
Mine last about 1 day to 3 days max before it freezes up. I suspect a faulty CPU (I have a 5600X on Asus Tuf Gaming plus B550 board) . The freeze came from nowhere, I also tried Windows 11, and same thing. It never froze during stress tests on my CPU, SSD (WD SN750) and Memory (T-force delta). I tried different BIOS settings (Auto/manual/whatever) , disabled OC on CPU and xmp profile as well. The freeze only occurs when the CPU load is getting low. (e.g. when I was browsing , youtube, messaging), but more often when I left the PC untouched for 10-30 minutes. The biggest challenge is that we do not have extra mobo to swap in and out so it is very difficult to narrow down the root cause.

At the moment, I am trying to enable the game mode on my SSD (disable power saving I believe) before I look into CPU and motherboard swap. Since you are going to find a CPU to test, I will try something else first. Good Luck!
Hey Metaverse, Do you have Armoury Crate installed? I'm trying without that on a fresh windows, I'm on the 3rd day without freezing , today I just played for an hour or so and al the rest of the day just youtube videos. I hope we can solve this issue, it's pretty frustrating not to know what is the main cause, evenmore on a new build.

Jan 21, 2021
Hey Metaverse, Do you have Armoury Crate installed? I'm trying without that on a fresh windows, I'm on the 3rd day without freezing , today I just played for an hour or so and al the rest of the day just youtube videos. I hope we can solve this issue, it's pretty frustrating not to know what is the main cause, evenmore on a new build.
I do not have Armoury Crate installed, still has it.

Oct 22, 2021

I initially suspected something to do with Armoury Crate, so I did try both scenario (with that installed and removed) and it has nothing to do with that.

Interestingly, after I enabled "game mode" on my WD Black SN 750 SSD (sort of disable power saving), it hasn't froze for about 2 days. Nevertheless, this has not confirm it works as I had a 3 days without crash records in the past.

Therefore, I will continue testing it for at least 7 days straight, after that, I will turn the game mode back off to see if it will freeze.

Since this is a simple test you might also want to try if that feature is available to you guys. Let me know how that goes.

FYI, I have this rigs (things had tried):
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (auto/manual/OC)
  • Team T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (auto/manual/OC)
  • Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (testing game mode)
  • Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Window 11)
  • Cooler Master MasterFan MF Halo 47.2 CFM 120 mm Fan (ARGB Gen2)
  • Razer Viper Mini Wired Optical Mouse
  • Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 Webcam
  • Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Basic 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler
  • MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB 2048 Video Card
  • darkFlash V22 ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Philips 34.0" 3440x1440 144Hz Monitor

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
I initially suspected something to do with Armoury Crate, so I did try both scenario (with that installed and removed) and it has nothing to do with that.

Interestingly, after I enabled "game mode" on my WD Black SN 750 SSD (sort of disable power saving), it hasn't froze for about 2 days. Nevertheless, this has not confirm it works as I had a 3 days without crash records in the past.

Therefore, I will continue testing it for at least 7 days straight, after that, I will turn the game mode back off to see if it will freeze.

Since this is a simple test you might also want to try if that feature is available to you guys. Let me know how that goes.

FYI, I have this rigs (things had tried):
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (auto/manual/OC)
  • Team T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (auto/manual/OC)
  • Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (testing game mode)
  • Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Window 11)
  • Cooler Master MasterFan MF Halo 47.2 CFM 120 mm Fan (ARGB Gen2)
  • Razer Viper Mini Wired Optical Mouse
  • Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 Webcam
  • Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Basic 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler
  • MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB 2048 Video Card
  • darkFlash V22 ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Philips 34.0" 3440x1440 144Hz Monitor
Still no freeze?

Oct 15, 2021
Still no freeze?
I have to report that disabling Armoury on the bios, Fresh windows installation, and manually install of chipset drivers and then proceed with video drivers with Geforce Experience, it's been working fine for a week now. I've readed in other threads that a clean installation solved their freezing problems too. It maybe has to be with some bad driver or a bad installation that meesed up something. I hope you can solve the issue my friend.

Jan 21, 2021
I have to report that disabling Armoury on the bios, Fresh windows installation, and manually install of chipset drivers and then proceed with video drivers with Geforce Experience, it's been working fine for a week now. I've readed in other threads that a clean installation solved their freezing problems too. It maybe has to be with some bad driver or a bad installation that meesed up something. I hope you can solve the issue my friend.
Well, i tried this also, and as you said it helped for some time, but the problem came back. I just turned my in today, and will update when i get it back. They told me they would take it in a stress test (3DMark) so im expecting them to say, nothing is wrong. So i told them to send it futher if the stress test says nothing, but as you know, it only happens under almost no load.

Oct 15, 2021
Well, i tried this also, and as you said it helped for some time, but the problem came back. I just turned my in today, and will update when i get it back. They told me they would take it in a stress test (3DMark) so im expecting them to say, nothing is wrong. So i told them to send it futher if the stress test says nothing, but as you know, it only happens under almost no load.
Yes you are correct, I'm reporting it here because all this week I've only been playing light games (genshin impact) for like an hour a day or so and a lot of light work for long hours like web browsing and social media, some streams here and there and it has not happened yet. I will post another comment on here after some more time if the problem comes back.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021

I also tried both Windows 10 and 11 with without Armoury , and they don't seem to be related.

Hello Duus1337. I think it might be your SSD: A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB - 512GB

To investigate, I recommend that you do all of the following:

1. Download / Install / Run - Adata SSD Toolbox and update the firmware.
https://www.adata.com/rs/support/consumer?tab=downloads

2. Submit a technical support request to Adata. See what recommendations they have:

* If #1 doesn't resolve the issue, and #2 doesn't result in any helpful recommendations from Adata then step #3 is to install Windows on a different SSD. Important that you physically disconnect the hard drive, and the current SSD from the system, while cleaning installing Windows on the new (or other) SSD.

FYI: Even after updating the firmware, you might have to reinstall Windows for the fix to take effect. Also, were I in your situation: I would jump straight to step #3 with the same 5600X installed to know for certain if the storage was the culprit.

If it were me: I'd either invest in a new 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD ($100 USD) or purchase a used / US region / Samsung 840 Evo 120GB 2.5" SSD ($15 - $20) on Ebay for testing purposes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.