[SOLVED] 5600x makes my freeze kinda freeze??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2021
Hey i bought a RYZEN 5600x back in january, and since then i have had the problem since. In the start i thought it was because of bad windows install, so i reinstalled, after some time it started again. Then i thought it was because of bad memory, also not the problem. Now i read an article about, some bad 5600xs that will make your pc freeze which mine does. It wont freeze 100%, i can still move mouse arround, rightclick and get the joblist up, but the joblist wont respond, just like all the other programs. It will freeze, randomly, sometimes when i start the pc, sometime after the pc has been working for 5-6 hours. ALSO TRIED UPDATING BIOS. Even thought it was because of my keyboard or mouse..

Specs are:
B550 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 5600x.
1660 Super.
G-skill 16gb cl16 3600mhz.
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Corsair RM650 gold.
A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB - 512GB
Seagate Barracuda Harddisk ST2000DM008 2TB 3.5" SATA-600 7200rpm

VIDEOS OF WHAT HAPPENING: (wetransfer link)
View: https://youtu.be/r_2X06XO7ug

View: https://youtu.be/IEhWn1BGkqw

View: https://youtu.be/yNhxM63vnsg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
Hello Duus1337. I think it might be your SSD: A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB - 512GB

To investigate, I recommend that you do all of the following:

1. Download / Install / Run - Adata SSD Toolbox and update the firmware.
https://www.adata.com/rs/support/consumer?tab=downloads

2. Submit a technical support request to Adata. See what recommendations they have:

* If #1 doesn't resolve the issue, and #2 doesn't result in any helpful recommendations from Adata then step #3 is to install Windows on a different SSD. Important that you physically disconnect the hard drive, and the current SSD from the system, while cleaning installing Windows on the new (or other) SSD.

FYI: Even after updating the firmware, you might have to reinstall Windows for the fix to take effect. Also, were I in your situation: I would jump straight to step #3 with the same 5600X installed to know for certain if the storage was the culprit.

If it were me: I'd either invest in a new 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD ($100 USD) or purchase a used / US region / Samsung 840 Evo 120GB 2.5" SSD ($15 - $20) on Ebay for testing purposes.
Thanks for your comment! Right now it is at the detailer where they tested it, and has sent it further. If they send it back for me saying nothing is wrong, i will try the a data firmware update. Also thought that the m.2 was a problem, just weird the others also had the problem. All the parts are btw brand new when build.

Reactions: rcald2000
Jan 21, 2021
Hi, Im having a similar issue here, did you found the solution? Or it was a faulty Ryzen?

I would really appreciate an answer for this.

Here is my Post, you can see the videos having the same kind of freezing problems
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...u-usage-spikes-and-the-system-freezes.3730212
I am on the same boat, so do many ppl not in this forum. Brand new components, fresh installs.

I had more than a decade troubleshooting experiences on both hardware and software, and tried almost everything to eliminate software related issues including drivers, OS, apps, services, and pretty sure it has nothing to deal with that.

Anyways, have you got any update before we can go further?
Hello, nothing yet.. Still waiting for it to return. got told It would take between 3-5 weeks, and its has been 3. So still waiting.

UPDATE FROM HERE: I GOT EXCHANGED A NEW.

Just go at message they exchanged my CPU which means there was a failure with it! So I would recommend u guys to also send it ind. I know the fresh windows installation works for sometime, but it will come back, trust me on that.

What I did to get RMA
Told the store what happens.
I wrote: Mine last about 1 day to 3 days max before it freezes up. I suspect a faulty CPU (I have a 5600X) . The freeze came from nowhere, It never froze during stress tests on my CPU, SSD and Memory. I tried different BIOS settings (Auto/manual/whatever) , disabled xmp profile as well. The freeze only occurs when the CPU load is getting low. (e.g. when I was browsing , youtube, messaging), but more often when I left the PC untouched for 10-30 minutes.
Send them the videos aswell. (U can send those I have here.)
Made sure to tell them that stresstesting them for 4 days straight probably wouldn't show any result. Because of the fact that it only does it when on low load.
Be bored for 4-5 weeks, and wait.

Jan 21, 2021
Interesting. When will you receive your computer back? Whenever you do, please let us know the result of your individual testing.
Already picked the new one up yesterday, and i haven't reinstalled windows, so it just works perfectly now. I would also say that my pc starts faster now (idk why), but it feels like a healty cpu, also my NZXT CAM was saying "Communication to the device failed" every 2 minutes before, Now there is nothing.

Reactions: SeBa_SCS
Nov 30, 2021
Got the Latest at the direct link for my b550 tomahawk.
Did it fixed it for you ?? Im having the same problem with a 5900 X , I had the same problem with a 5800x then changed for 5900x thouigh its was the CPU , but not im starting to think that its not the CPU . No idea why is this happening . even changed my rams for 32GB corsaire 3600mhz

Jan 21, 2021
Did it fixed it for you ?? Im having the same problem with a 5900 X , I had the same problem with a 5800x then changed for 5900x thouigh its was the CPU , but not im starting to think that its not the CPU . No idea why is this happening . even changed my rams for 32GB corsaire 3600mhz
I got a new CPU after filling out a RMA.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Maybe silicon quality of your 5600x happened to be on such thin thread of actually losing thread stability from voltage, that it actually only shows on low voltages (i.e. idle mode)...
Because CPU can lose threads without actually crashing PC... i am not sure about main thread, but i guess load manager must restructure tasks every time it happens.
And yeah, that is most likely bad chip, so exchanging it from AMD is a only solid choise. IF it is an actual reason ofc.

Actually i heard about possible, even though rare, idle voltage problems when trying to undervolt 5600x with PBO CO, but as it never happened to me (i may lose stability on high frequency load, but not on idle), hadn't paid much attention to that at one time

Status
Not open for further replies.