[SOLVED] 5600x not detected despite latest BIOS on PRO-VDH mobo

SecretAsian

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I put in a MSI B450M PRO-VDH and paired it with a new 5600x CPU. The systems powers on but the debug LEDs tells me there's a problem with the CPU and the DRAM (probably because of the CPU). I had gotten the board updated to the latest BIOS (would be the either MG3 or MD) installed by a local PC shop. Compatibility says it should support the 5600x (way at the bottom). I checked the CPU and saw no broken/bent pins. The CPU power cable was firmly in place. All fans were spinning.

Solution
They didn't personally test the CPU. I can visit them tomorrow. The CPU is new from Newegg, the mobo is used, though if there were an issue with the mobo I'd doubt they would be able to update my bios to begin with.

I would think that to be a strong possibility. I did not note the motherboard having any manner of BIOS flash(back). I would presume that they put some other CPU in it and utilized that to flash the BIOS. I would further presume that if they have that on hand they may have way(s) to test your CPU further.

I would consider it not common, but not unheard of to get a bad CPU out of box. In the absence of any visible damage to the CPU or pins would be a good position to be in for return. Bent or damaged pins are...

SecretAsian

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Can the local PC shop verify the CPU is working for you? Perhaps install and give back?
Did you purchase new? Return period?
They didn't personally test the CPU. I can visit them tomorrow. The CPU is new from Newegg, the mobo is used, though if there were an issue with the mobo I'd doubt they would be able to update my bios to begin with.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

I would think that to be a strong possibility. I did not note the motherboard having any manner of BIOS flash(back). I would presume that they put some other CPU in it and utilized that to flash the BIOS. I would further presume that if they have that on hand they may have way(s) to test your CPU further.

I would consider it not common, but not unheard of to get a bad CPU out of box. In the absence of any visible damage to the CPU or pins would be a good position to be in for return. Bent or damaged pins are almost always considered a fault of installation and not warrantied.

Solution

SecretAsian

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I checked my RAM's compatibility and it seems it doesn't work with B450 mobos. I'm going to get my hands on another set of RAM (need to upgrade from 2133 anyways) and see if that fixes the issue.
Update: No dice. Still won't boot.

Last edited:

SecretAsian

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I tend to doubt that's your problem but something that's on the compatible list is more comforting.

Did you ever reset CMOS? The shop may not have after the BIOS update and that could be what's preventing it from booting up.
Tried it, no luck. I've almost given up at this point and have started looking at a B550 I could get today; some of it is overprice but at least it'll work.

Tried it, no luck. I've almost given up at this point and have started looking at a B550 I could get today; some of it is overprice but at least it'll work.
I'd take the board and CPU back to the shop that updated your BIOS and ask them to resolve it or return your money for what appears to have been a bad BIOS update. If you at least get that back you have something to go looking for the B550 with.

Reactions: kurdtnz