[SOLVED] 5600x on an b450 motherboard?

Itsmegareth

Prominent
Feb 26, 2022
Im pretty sure it'll work, im looking for reassurance. I recently asked about using a 3800x on the same motherboard, but 5600x is currently £210 on amazon. Im only gaming, everything will be run at stock speed.

Motherboard is a MSI B450 A PRO MAX

BIOS VERSION M.E0 according to msinfo32

Ive updated to latest version

Solution
Ive already got the latest bios, im just worried they'll be a incompatibility issue or my motherboard wont handle it, sounds stupid i know but im a worrier. My gpu is RTX 2060 6GB. Im currently using a 2700. Ive also looked at switching platforms completely and going to an intel 11400f but ide rather not replace my motherboard, hardly seems worth it if my b450 will support a 5600x
It truly would be wasted money to swap platform as the 5600X should work just fine with similar performance. Do be aware you won't get PCIe gen 4 for GPU or NVME, although neither have proven especially helpful when gaming.

When you swap out the CPU be sure to reset CMOS. That's to make sure it initializes and trains memory properly with fully...
Update the BIOS ahead of time the version that supports 5600X...and it should work.

The 5600X is indeed a potential ~19% boost...assuming you have a GPU that is not already mostly saturated. (Take my GTX1060 for instance...little to be had in any CPU upgrades)

But , assuming you have a GPU that can still scale upwards with further increases in CPU power, or intend to get one....the 5600X is now priced very nicely! Enjoy!

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Itsmegareth

Prominent
Feb 26, 2022
Ive already got the latest bios, im just worried they'll be a incompatibility issue or my motherboard wont handle it, sounds stupid i know but im a worrier. My gpu is RTX 2060 6GB. Im currently using a 2700. Ive also looked at switching platforms completely and going to an intel 11400f but ide rather not replace my motherboard, hardly seems worth it if my b450 will support a 5600x

It truly would be wasted money to swap platform as the 5600X should work just fine with similar performance. Do be aware you won't get PCIe gen 4 for GPU or NVME, although neither have proven especially helpful when gaming.

When you swap out the CPU be sure to reset CMOS. That's to make sure it initializes and trains memory properly with fully defaulted settings.

Last edited:
Solution

Itsmegareth

Prominent
Feb 26, 2022

When you swap out the CPU be sure to reset CMOS. That's to make sure it initializes and trains memory properly with fully defaulted settings.
Ok, do i install new cpu, boot up the pc so it detects the new hardware, shutdown then reset the cmos? Or do it all when im replacing the cpu?

Do i need to uninstall/reinstall chipset drivers?

Do i need to uninstall/reinstall chipset drivers?
I'm not sure it's really necessary but I would. Be sure to completely uninstall the old drivers first. Ryzen 5000 CPU's don't require the Ryzen power plans so once uninstalled the new install won't re-install them.

When you first install the CPU reset CMOS. Since you're inside the system with power disconnected it's a convenient time. Also a good practice is to remove the battery for a few minutes while shorting the pins. So pull the battery, short the pins then remove the CPU, install new CPU, short pins again (just because), reinstall battery and start up the system. Probably overkill but it can't hurt.

Last edited: