Question 5600x or 5800x?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I have the option to either get a 5600x or 5800x right now. From what I've read the 5600x is more than good enough for gaming and the 5800x and 5900x dont offer that much more performance in that department. My main concern is future proofing since I'm building a new system and ive read that the 5600x only being a 6 core cpu, which is perfect for now, may not be as future proof as a 8 or 12 core processor down the line. I also possibly plan on streaming/multitasking from time to time so would that extra 2 cores benefit me in that area?

I guess I could go with the cheaper 5600x and than down the line if gaming starts requiring more cores in the future it would be something id just need to upgrade at that time. Just looking for some insight from people who know more about this than me. Thanks.

...if they kept the same pricing because imagine the 5800x as a 8 core 16 thread beast for 350 dollars.
Those who really need more cores (because they know why), they can still buy either 3700X (about 310$) or 3900X (about 440$) -two excellent CPU's, one could only dream about two years ago (especially at that price).
But too many times, here's more about having "the latest" and less about actual need. Because of silly "future proof" mantra: how much future proof?.. is it really?.. but what about games in three years?.. should I wait for next gen CPU instead?..