[SOLVED] 5600x or 5900x for quiet build

Aug 31, 2021
Looking to build a quiet general purpose PC (no gaming).
Ive decided on Fractal Define 7 case , Corsair AX850 PSU, X570s MB, and Noctua U14S.
I cant decide on 5600x vs 5900x .
I'd like to splurge on 5900x but worried it will get too hot/noisy with my case/cooler.
I assume 5600x would have no heat/fan/noise issues with this setup.
Thoughts?

Solution
Yeah, what "general use" entails would be helpful. If there's some high-end data work, sure, but if we're talking using Microsoft Office and surfing the web, this would be a ludicrously over-specced PC. For a basic PC, a 5600G without a GPU would be more than enough and you could likely build the entirely PC (depending on storage, etc) for about the price of the 5900X alone. There's nothing wrong with having an over-powerful PC -- heck, I'm not really taxing my 3080 all that much -- but you want to make sure that the costs and benefits are known going in.
Ive decided on Fractal Define 7 case , Corsair AX850 PSU, X570s MB, and Noctua U14S.
I'd like to splurge on 5900x but worried it will get too hot/noisy with my case/cooler.
Thoughts?
Go with the 5600x.
For gp usage should be fine.

Reactions: RodroX
The u14s is just on the edge of not being quite good enough for a 5900x imo.

However that really depends on what you're doing with it.

When you say 'general purpose' do you really need 12c/24t??

A few years ago that spec would have been considered primarily a workstation cpu and would have cost 4 figures.

For the general user (or even hard-core gamer) it's totally unnecessary really, a 5600x would likely be fine and a 5800x if it really appeals to you make more sense.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, what "general use" entails would be helpful. If there's some high-end data work, sure, but if we're talking using Microsoft Office and surfing the web, this would be a ludicrously over-specced PC. For a basic PC, a 5600G without a GPU would be more than enough and you could likely build the entirely PC (depending on storage, etc) for about the price of the 5900X alone. There's nothing wrong with having an over-powerful PC -- heck, I'm not really taxing my 3080 all that much -- but you want to make sure that the costs and benefits are known going in.

Solution
Aug 31, 2021
General purpose is running accounting software, business apps, office, web, some lightroom photo editing, remote desktop to work. Im a software developer but compiling, SQL server, etc is all within the remote desktop to work so I dont need that grunt.

I was just thinking go powerful and have it last for a long time. Current PC is a Q9450 (dont laugh) that was powerful for the time and has lasted 10 years.

I was thinking 5800x originally but their are lots of reports on that running hotter than 5900x so ruled it out.

My motto has always been to go for the second best tier as that's usually the sweet spot for price/performance/value. The 5600x will likely be more than adequate and be quiet, but the IT nerd in me just wants the 5900x :D

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
General purpose is running accounting software, business apps, office, web, some lightroom photo editing, remote desktop to work. Im a software developer but compiling, SQL server, etc is all within the remote desktop to work so I dont need that grunt.

I was just thinking go powerful and have it last for a long time. Current PC is a Q9450 (dont laugh) that was powerful for the time and has lasted 10 years.

I was thinking 5800x originally but their are lots of reports on that running hotter than 5900x so ruled it out.

My motto has always been to go for the second best tier as that's usually the sweet spot for price/performance/value. The 5600x will likely be more than adequate and be quiet, but the IT nerd in me just wants the 5900x :D
If cost is of no concern, then go ahead and get the 5900X.

It's simple to tune processor performance down and exchange raw performance for power efficiency and quietness, if it comes to that. Modern non-server processors had been quite efficient at idle and low load for a while now.

Another good solution could be 5700G. Its corresponding mobile APUs (5800H and above) are some of the best one could get in a laptop right now, and would save you the exorbitant cost of a new graphic card you don't seem to otherwise need.

Maybe your inner nerd would awaken and find more application for the processing power, once you have the solution.;)

I second the 5600G. Solid cpu that comes with decent graphics. If you feel like you need more cores/threads then the next choice imo would be the 5700G. Also worth having a look at is the i7 11700 paired with either a B560 or H570 board.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G $359.00

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-11700-Desktop-Processor-LGA1200/dp/B08X6QHYDL/
Intel Core i7-11700 $339.99

Thoughts?

If you are already worried about your case/cooler getting too hot and making noise perhaps then you should look for a more optimized airflow case.

You can get the best air tower cooler in the world, but if your PC Case sucks at getting fresh air in and letting hot air out, then your CPU and your whole system will run hot and most likely noisy.

Reactions: Why_Me