Question 5600x question about temperatures, using Hyper 212 led turbo

gagi4253

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Okay so when i switched to 5600x from 2600 i noticed huge noise and temp difference, 2600 was not running hot, Hyper 212 was silent, with 5600x since day i installed it i noticed random 'boosts' like when opening chrome, youtube, launching games etc, temp goes up for short amount than goes back to normal, and fans start working silently again.
While gaming i never notice that it boosts like crazy, but when i have loading screen in Lost Ark it get really loud, which is weird, why would loading screen make it boost more than actual game with tons of spells and people running around?
I noticed that there is many different version of hyper 212 so i am not sure if mine is kinda outdated model? It have 2 fans btw, 1600 rpm max.

HWINFO64:
So i have most of the time Average temps around 64 - 68c which is totaly fine by me but MAX temp goes up to 80-85c (when it does those random boosts). One day after gaming session i saw 128c MAX but i think it was a bug, friend told me it would shut down after 95c. Idle temps are between 38-46c.

I got b450 tomahawk non max
Cooler Master MB520 pc case

Which air cooler would be upgrade and keep thing silent and not letting it boost above 80s?

Okay so when i switched to 5600x from 2600 i noticed huge noise and temp difference, 2600 was not running hot, Hyper 212 was silent, with 5600x since day i installed it i noticed random 'boosts' like when opening chrome, youtube, launching games etc, temp goes up for short amount than goes back to normal, and fans start working silently again.
While gaming i never notice that it boosts like crazy, but when i have loading screen in Lost Ark it get really loud, which is weird, why would loading screen make it boost more than actual game with tons of spells and people running around?
I noticed that there is many different version of hyper 212 so i am not sure if mine is kinda outdated model? It have 2 fans btw, 1600 rpm max.

HWINFO64:
So i have most of the time Average temps around 64 - 68c which is totaly fine by me but MAX temp goes up to 80-85c (when it does those random boosts). One day after gaming session i saw 128c MAX but i think it was a bug, friend told me it would shut down after 95c. Idle temps are between 38-46c.

I got b450 tomahawk non max
Cooler Master MB520 pc case

Which air cooler would be upgrade and keep thing silent and not letting it boost above 80s?
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-DUO-Configuration/dp/B07MC8CRVZ

One day after gaming session i saw 128c MAX but i think it was a bug, friend told me it would shut down after 95c.
your friend told you wrong....it won't shut down until around 110-115C, the fused thermal trip limit. At 95C it will probably just throttle clock speed heavily so that 128C temp report is still bogus suggesting something's wrong about your temp reporting setup and/or cooler mounting.

First off: did you reset CMOS after changing your CPU? That's very important after an update. Also important to update chipset drivers, AMD has new ones up on their support web site so get them there. If you didn't, you might also update your BIOS to the latest. It fixes several problems with Ryzen 5000 CPU's (USB dropout, fTPM caused audio glitching mainly).

And about temp reporting: HWInfo64 is easily the most reliable for reporting on Ryzen systems. It's also got very complete sensor reporting and is free; be sure you've updated since he also makes very frequent updates. Then look at CPU TDie AVERAGE sensors to get the best idea of the thermal state of the CPU...the AVERAGE column especially.

The CPU is pretty boost happy, hitting max clocks on a single core for almost every light processing load that comes along. It surges, or spikes, temps with every one and even when apparently idle in Windows there are a lot. The processor has lots of hot spot sensors and reports the hottest at each temp spike even though it doesn't contribute a lot of thermal energy. That's why averages is so important: it's averaging all the hotspots together over a time period to determine the true thermal state of the processor.

A good cooling policy for Ryzen 3000 and 5000 CPU's has been to set a high (but not annoyingly loud), fixed fan speed on the CPU cooler so that it ignores all those temp spikes and surges. Only let fans rise up into speeds that are annoying, though, as temp gets above 75-80C or so.

For best boosting and sustained performance you want to keep temperatures in or below the 80-85C range, ideally in the 75-80C range. AMD's said, though, that it's expected and designed to run at temps upwards of 90C so it's still safe even if hitting that high.

Be sure your CPU air cooler isn't using the hot exhaust air of your GPU to try and cool the CPU while gaming. That means making sure your case is well and properly ventilated. That case, with a glass side panel, three front fans and only one rear fan (stock), could easily be doing that since all the hot air from the GPU has to go through and around the CPU tower to get to the top/rear exhaust; remove the side panel run it a while to see how it affects temperature.

I'd put a 240mm AIO in the front for the CPU, fans configured to intake air, then move two of the front fans to exhaust at the top (if it can, not sure). That way the CPU is always using cool outside air for cooling. There's no reason to go overboard on the AIO: a BeQuiet PureLoop 240 will do an equally great job cooling and save you a lot on the bling-rich RGB coolers from Corasir and Nzxt.

Last edited:

gagi4253

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
@drea.drechsler I think i did not reseted cmos but i saw somewhere it is not needed, i just updated bios to latest for my mobo so i can use 5600x with it.
Using hwinfo64. Cpu TDIe average - 55c right now while using chrome and it is 33.2C in a room. I runned pc without side pannel and i think i got 3,4c difference might be placebo as well, since temps are not stable.
Is there any way i can control my cpu cooler fan via some program? Since bios got really complicated since i updated motherboard, would love to play with graph, instead some weird called fan speed values.
I might get 240 aio artic liquid freezer or Fuma 2 air, since both of this fit my budget right now. Still not sure if my hyper 212 turbo led is outdated version compared to evo..

@drea.drechsler I think i did not reseted cmos but i saw somewhere it is not needed, i just updated bios to latest for my mobo so i can use 5600x with it.
Using hwinfo64. Cpu TDIe average - 55c right now while using chrome and it is 33.2C in a room. I runned pc without side pannel and i think i got 3,4c difference might be placebo as well, since temps are not stable.
Is there any way i can control my cpu cooler fan via some program? Since bios got really complicated since i updated motherboard, would love to play with graph, instead some weird called fan speed values.
I might get 240 aio artic liquid freezer or Fuma 2 air, since both of this fit my budget right now. Still not sure if my hyper 212 turbo led is outdated version compared to evo..
Evo is older.
As for fan control SW, try this https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/fancontrol.html
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COhxnhGTVCo

You need to reset CMOS not only because of updating BIOS but mainly because you changed CPU's. Anytime there's a hardware change...CPU or memory...you have to reset CMOS to ensure the CPU trains memory correctly. That you've had luck this far is no guarantee it will continue.

It's not hard to do...if nothing else just take out the battery for a few minutes with system off and unplugged then reassemble.

Temps will never be stable with a 5600X, it's way too dynamic. That's just the way it is.

The arctic Liquid Freezer 240 would be a great choice for your system. Mount radiator in front, if possible with radiator oriented so the hose fittings are on the bottom is best. Arrange fans so they're drawing air in from the front. The two fans you displace from the front get moved to the top to exhaust air and you're set.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike