[SOLVED] 5600x. Random Voltage, Utilization, and Core Speed Spikes

Nov 23, 2020
Hello,

New user to the forums here. I just recently purchased a Ryzen 5 5600x (first AMD cpu) and I have paired it with a Asus Tuf Gaming x570-Plus (wifi) and a 3070. Ever since i booted everything and installed windows (fresh) I've been seeing random spikes on the utilization of the CPU and a huge jump in the Speed as well. For example, while idle, I wil go from 2% utilization at 3.95 GHz to randomly about 20% utilization and 4.5 GHz.Also, while that happens the voltage usually changes from ~0.95V to anywhere up to ~1.2 V (somtimes more). I'm curious if there is anything wrong..Could it be a bios settings? I also have the most recent NON-BETA bios version. . Is this normal for AMD chipsets?

Solution
AMD has been getting more and more aggressive with boosting behavior from idle ever since 1st gen...it's easy to believe the trend has only continued with 4rth gen Ryzen.

With Ryzen, they boost from deep sleep state to max clocks at every processing load that comes along (AMD calls it a 'rush to idle'). Since Windows opens a lot of processes there is always one that needs attention so it happens frequently. But it's really only one core, the rest remain in deep sleep. It seems frenetic but it's a secret to it's remarkable energy efficiency.
Hello,

New user to the forums here. I just recently purchased a Ryzen 5 5600x (first AMD cpu) and I have paired it with a Asus Tuf Gaming x570-Plus (wifi) and a 3070. Ever since i booted everything and installed windows (fresh) I've been seeing random spikes on the utilization of the CPU and a huge jump in the Speed as well. For example, while idle, I wil go from 2% utilization at 3.95 GHz to randomly about 20% utilization and 4.5 GHz.Also, while that happens the voltage usually changes from ~0.95V to anywhere up to ~1.2 V (somtimes more). I'm curious if there is anything wrong..Could it be a bios settings? I also have the most recent NON-BETA bios version. . Is this normal for AMD chipsets?
Open up Task Manager and check what is causing the CPU usage spike. If the CPU is suddenly put under load, a clock speed increase is normal, and so is voltage. Just make sure that whatever process is causing the usage spike isn't anything unwanted.

Hello,

This is normal behavior for Ryzen's.

AMD has been getting more and more aggressive with boosting behavior from idle ever since 1st gen...it's easy to believe the trend has only continued with 4rth gen Ryzen.

With Ryzen, they boost from deep sleep state to max clocks at every processing load that comes along (AMD calls it a 'rush to idle'). Since Windows opens a lot of processes there is always one that needs attention so it happens frequently. But it's really only one core, the rest remain in deep sleep. It seems frenetic but it's a secret to it's remarkable energy efficiency.

Solution