[SOLVED] 5600x randomly spiking in temp,clock, and fans (at idle)

smacrito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2012
Hi guys, first off thanks in advance for any replies. I’ll try to be as thorough as possible about my issue.

specs:
5600x (stock cooler awaiting AIO)
B550f ROG STRIX mobo
850w psu
3080 ftw3
16gb ram @ 3600 cl16

issue:
If you need any info, logs, or screenshots, please let me know.

After I put my build together, it worked great. The 5600x temps weren’t great, but they certainly were not bad at all. On average, I would get about 40-50 degrees at idle, and 60-70 degrees at heavy load, with blips to 80 degrees.

after some time, I realized I had put my case fans in the wrong orientation, making airflow worse. Last night I went in and flipped the corresponding fans around, and indeed made my temps better on my GPU. However, now randomly, which i do not believe was happening before, my 5600x is spiking in clock speeds and temps, resulting in my CPU_FAN to go full blast. I completely understand that Windows may cause this from random processes in the background, however with no programs open, my CPU is spiking in core clocks (maxing out ALL cores) and in temperature for a few seconds before calming down. The result of this is that my fans go absolutely nuts, then silent, then nuts again all within a matter of 5-10 seconds.

again, I understand high temps are normal here and there, but I know for a fact that my CPU_FAN was not getting to 100% basically ever before switching my fans around, and certainly remained silent when idling at desktop.

I used HWINFO64 to monitor the fans and clocks, and I confirmed that whenever my CPU boosts up every couple seconds, the CPU_FAN goes to 100%. I have to look again, but if I remember correctly from late last night, my CPU was getting very hot randomly, up to 80 degrees at idle, and almost got to 90+ degrees under load. Something certainly changed that’s causing these higher temps, but I’m not sure where to look for a fix.

when I get home today, I will attempt to reseat all the fan headers and check connections. I also think I may try to reinstall Windows and try to reflash my bios, though I recently installed the most recent version. However I did want to ask here to see if anyone had any different steps I should be trying, or any other things I should try to monitor.

thanks again everyone! I hope I can get this fixed.

Last edited:
Solution
I really don’t care about prime, I just wanted to see how it performed temp wise.
I also ran cinebench multi core and it as well instantly caps out at 95 degrees.

mother games / heavy load is around 90 degrees
You can do the usual things: double check cooler mounting and make sure your case is well ventilated.

Cooler could be cocked slightly or mounting screws unevenly tightened. I assume you used the pre-applied paste and removed any plastic sheets protecting faying surfaces in shipment. Case ventilation is critical for any air cooler, even more so for the Wraith coolers. Fans in front bringing cool air in, fans in back and top extracting the hot air.

You can also just wait till you get that AIO as that will force you to...

Furzumz

Reputable
The processor bouncing its temps and clock speed around like a pinball is normal with Ryzen

As far as your fan goes have you tried messing with the fan settings in the bios if you have such settings? You might be able to do a custom fan curve, or at least make it to where its not blasting at full speed on and off

Hi guys, first off thanks in advance for any replies. I’ll try to be as thorough as possible about my issue.

specs:
5600x (stock cooler awaiting AIO)
B550f ROG STRIX mobo
850w psu
3080 ftw3
16gb ram @ 3600 cl16

issue:
If you need any info, logs, or screenshots, please let me know.

After I put my build together, it worked great. The 5600x temps weren’t great, but they certainly were not bad at all. On average, I would get about 40-50 degrees at idle, and 60-70 degrees at heavy load, with blips to 80 degrees.

after some time, I realized I had put my case fans in the wrong orientation, making airflow worse. Last night I went in and flipped the corresponding fans around, and indeed made my temps better on my GPU. However, now randomly, which i do not believe was happening before, my 5600x is spiking in clock speeds and temps, resulting in my CPU_FAN to go full blast. I completely understand that Windows may cause this from random processes in the background, however with no programs open, my CPU is spiking in core clocks (maxing out ALL cores) and in temperature for a few seconds before calming down. The result of this is that my fans go absolutely nuts, then silent, then nuts again all within a matter of 5-10 seconds.

again, I understand high temps are normal here and there, but I know for a fact that my CPU_FAN was not getting to 100% basically ever before switching my fans around, and certainly remained silent when idling at desktop.

I used HWINFO64 to monitor the fans and clocks, and I confirmed that whenever my CPU boosts up every couple seconds, the CPU_FAN goes to 100%. I have to look again, but if I remember correctly from late last night, my CPU was getting very hot randomly, up to 80 degrees at idle, and almost got to 90+ degrees under load. Something certainly changed that’s causing these higher temps, but I’m not sure where to look for a fix.

when I get home today, I will attempt to reseat all the fan headers and check connections. I also think I may try to reinstall Windows and try to reflash my bios, though I recently installed the most recent version. However I did want to ask here to see if anyone had any different steps I should be trying, or any other things I should try to monitor.

thanks again everyone! I hope I can get this fixed.
The stock cooler isn't so good for 5600's so liquid cooling will be a big improvement.

It's normal for Ryzen's to spike temps as they boost very aggressively from idle since, in Windows, there really is no 'idle'. It tries to keep cores in C6 deep sleep but Windows has dozens of processes constantly running (over 80 active processes on my system, about 300 threads). One will decide it's time to do something so it will boost to maximum clock to get it done fast. That causes the temp spikes.

smacrito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2012
The processor bouncing its temps and clock speed around like a pinball is normal with Ryzen

As far as your fan goes have you tried messing with the fan settings in the bios if you have such settings? You might be able to do a custom fan curve, or at least make it to where its not blasting at full speed on and off
Thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate it. Yes, totally agree the bouncing around is normal, but what would have caused my computer to work for the last few days, now suddenly it’s rapidly going from no fan to 100%?

and no, I have not played with the fan curves but I am familiar with it. I am just concerned because my PC was not doing this at first with no editing of fan curves, so I’d like to fix it without playing with curves since it seems that’s only masking the behavior instead of solving it, if that makes sense?

Last edited:

smacrito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2012
The stock cooler isn't so good for 5600's so liquid cooling will be a big improvement.

It's normal for Ryzen's to spike temps as they boost very aggressively from idle since, in Windows, there really is no 'idle'. It tries to keep cores in C6 deep sleep but Windows has dozens of processes constantly running (over 80 active processes on my system, about 300 threads). One will decide it's time to do something so it will boost to maximum clock to get it done fast. That causes the temp spikes.
Hello, yes I totally agree that temp spikes are normal especially with background processes, but my computer was running fine for the last few days, even with slight temp spikes my fan wasn’t so quick to go full blast. Any ideas what could have caused that?

Hello, yes I totally agree that temp spikes are normal especially with background processes, but my computer was running fine for the last few days, even with slight temp spikes my fan wasn’t so quick to go full blast. Any ideas what could have caused that?
I'm not sure why it only started recently...but the usual fix for fans pulsating and going to full blast is to set a constant, fixed, barely audible speed up to about 60 or 65C or so before starting to ramp up. It will be easier when you get the AIO as it's got a lot more thermal capacity (being liquid) compared to the air cooler.

Also, don't ramp speed aggressively, gradual is better. And use long delay to avoid quick response to short temp spikes. Again, the thermal capacity of a liquid cooler is immense, you actually have several minutes with maximum heat output of the processor before the liquid even begins to get warm and necessitating an increase of fan speed to shed the heat from the radiator. Use that thermal capacity to your advantage.

Last edited:

smacrito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2012
I'm not sure why it only started recently...but the usual fix for fans pulsating and going to full blast is to set a constant, fixed, barely audible speed up to about 60 or 65C or so before starting to ramp up. It will be easier when you get the AIO as it's got a lot more thermal capacity (being liquid) compared to the air cooler.

Also, don't ramp speed aggressively, gradual is better. And use long delay to avoid quick response to short temp spikes. Again, the thermal capacity of a liquid cooler is immense, you actually have several minutes with maximum heat output of the processor before the liquid even begins to get warm and necessitating an increase of fan speed to shed the heat from the radiator. Use that thermal capacity to your advantage.
Hi, so I’ve ran prime 95 and my CPU caps out at 95 degrees instantly... is that normal for a stock cooler?

Hi, so I’ve ran prime 95 and my CPU caps out at 95 degrees instantly... is that normal for a stock cooler?
I know Ryzen 5000 runs a lot hotter than 3000 processors and the stock cooler is considered inadequate for it (they were barely adequate for Zen2) and that Prime95 is a stupid extreme workload. I'd say it's certainly in the realm of the possible and probably something not to do very often. I'd only run it no more than 20 minutes to prove it's stable and then never again.

EDIT add: was curious so checked 5600X spec's: Tjmax for the processor is 95C. But while it's 'safe' I'd never want to operate at that temperature. If your computing life revolves around running Prime95 you definitely need that AIO. I think you might find a platform thermal limit you can set to make the processor limit it's boosting at preset temperature.

Last edited:

smacrito

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2012
I know Ryzen 5000 runs a lot hotter than 3000 processors and the stock cooler is considered inadequate for it (they were barely adequate for Zen2) and that Prime95 is a stupid extreme workload. I'd say it's certainly in the realm of the possible and probably something not to do very often. I'd only run it no more than 20 minutes to prove it's stable and then never again.

EDIT add: was curious so checked 5600X spec's: Tjmax for the processor is 95C. But while it's 'safe' I'd never want to operate at that temperature. If your computing life revolves around running Prime95 you definitely need that AIO. I think you might find a platform thermal limit you can set to make the processor limit it's boosting at preset temperature.
I really don’t care about prime, I just wanted to see how it performed temp wise.
I also ran cinebench multi core and it as well instantly caps out at 95 degrees.

You can do the usual things: double check cooler mounting and make sure your case is well ventilated.

Cooler could be cocked slightly or mounting screws unevenly tightened. I assume you used the pre-applied paste and removed any plastic sheets protecting faying surfaces in shipment. Case ventilation is critical for any air cooler, even more so for the Wraith coolers. Fans in front bringing cool air in, fans in back and top extracting the hot air.

You can also just wait till you get that AIO as that will force you to re-jigger everything anyway. I like front mounting the radiator with it's fans oriented to bring cool air in. That way it's not using the hot air from a GPU to try and cool off the radiator/liquid. What you can do depends on your case, of course.

Solution
Those temps seem in-line with what I would expect from the box cooler. It's adequate, and temps pushing up over 90c under stress testing are normal, even with the fan speed maxed out. For normal gaming, temps in the 70c-80c are normal as well with the box cooler. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I would still get a better CPU cooler, you don't need to spend an arm or a leg. Even the Hyper EVO 212 for $40 does a better job than the stock cooler.

Jan 7, 2021
I stumbled across this thread and didn't read it fully but the behavior you described in the first post is natural to Ryzen. When it's "needed" Ryzen boosts 1 core to a maximum 4.8GHz for a brief moment which results in a temp spike as well.

My solution to that is minimal overclocking. For some reason when using PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) it no longer spikes with one core. So all you have to do is go to BIOS, select PBO and do any, even minimal OC, like 25MHz. Just by doing this, you disable single-core boost but in my experience, there is no difference in usage. CPU still achieves the same multi-core boost as before (even more, by the value you entered in PBO) and fans don't spin up randomly since there is no single core boost in idle or when opening browser, etc

I hope my description is clear but if not feel free to ask any question and I'll answer

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I had the same question when i first got my ryzen 5.I was told it's normal.For me it only happens when i oc my cpu on stock it stays stable.Like was said just ignore it as long as it doesn't reach high temps then it's fine.Just setup a fan curve and your sorted