Question 5600x Spiking in Temperature

Jan 5, 2022
My 5600x keeps spiking in temperature, to the highest point of 80 Degrees Celsius, and my computer seems to be shutting off from the overheating thats occuring, what can I do to fix this issue? I only recently installed the 5600x with a new motherboard, new case, new power supply, and new ram but carrying over the ssd. Not sure what could be causing the overheating, anyone have any clue?

EDIT: I've done some research and seen that the spiking could be seen as normal with a 5600x, but what could be warranting the random pc shutdowns then, I just assumed it would be the spiking to a ridiculous degree, but it has shutdown multiple times out of nowhere even when under a small load.... no idea what it could be, anyone have any ideas?

SPECS:
CPU: Intel i5-9600k to Ryzen 5 5600x

MOBO: B365M-DS3H to GigaByte B550 Gaming X

RAM: 16 GB 2666 mhz to 32 GB 3200 mhz

PSU: 450w BT EVGA to 710W EVGA BP

CASE/Chassis: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L to Aerocool Cylon RGB Black

SSD: 1 TB Crucial M.2

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB VRAM

Monitor: Sceptre E255B-1658A

Cooler: Stock AMD Wraith Stealth

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums forums, newcomer!

I only recently installed the 5600x with a new motherboard, new case, new power supply, and new ram but carrying over the ssd. Not sure what could be causing the overheating, anyone have any clue?
This is where you parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If the system is an upgrade with swapped out parts, please mention a before and after. As for the OS, if you're on Windows 10, check to see what version(not edition) of the OS you're on and the BIOS version on your motherboard. Aftermarket cooler on that processor? Ambient room air temps? The airflow inside the chassis?

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jan 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums forums, newcomer!

I only recently installed the 5600x with a new motherboard, new case, new power supply, and new ram but carrying over the ssd. Not sure what could be causing the overheating, anyone have any clue?
This is where you parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If the system is an upgrade with swapped out parts, please mention a before and after. As for the OS, if you're on Windows 10, check to see what version(not edition) of the OS you're on and the BIOS version on your motherboard. Aftermarket cooler on that processor? Ambient room air temps? The airflow inside the chassis?
The Airflow is quite good inside the chassis, and the issue happens with the side panels on and off, and the random powering off seems to happen at least once a day as well.

Try setting the power profile to Power Saver or disable turbo boost by doing:
  1. Open RegEdit
  2. Go to the location Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7
  3. Set "Attributes" to 2
  4. This opens up another option in the Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Processor Power Management
Set the "Processor boost mode" to "Disabled"

This will tame the turbo boosting. We can at least narrow down if the the problem happens when the CPU is trying to boost.

Jan 5, 2022
Try setting the power profile to Power Saver or disable turbo boost by doing:
  1. Open RegEdit
  2. Go to the location Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7
  3. Set "Attributes" to 2
  4. This opens up another option in the Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Processor Power Management
Set the "Processor boost mode" to "Disabled"

This will tame the turbo boosting. We can at least narrow down if the the problem happens when the CPU is trying to boost.
This helps a lot with my temps overall which is very nice, I will keep you updated to see if the unexpected shutdowns still occur, but this lowered the temperature when gaming constantly by a good 10 to 15 degrees, and it no longer runs as hot as it should when gaming which is nice, so thank you for that!

This helps a lot with my temps overall which is very nice, I will keep you updated to see if the unexpected shutdowns still occur, but this lowered the temperature when gaming constantly by a good 10 to 15 degrees, and it no longer runs as hot as it should when gaming which is nice, so thank you for that!
Kill the boosting also kills processor performance.

It's normal for Ryzen 5000 CPU's to hit temperature upwards of 90C in use.

If your system isn't stable there's something else wrong. Did you clean install Windows or just use the drives from the old system?

Have you updated motherboard BIOS to the latest?

Have you reset CMOS?

Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers...from the AMD web site?

I'd say get those things right first before gimping your system.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jan 5, 2022
Kill the boosting also kills processor performance.

It's normal for Ryzen 5000 CPU's to hit temperature upwards of 90C in use.

If your system isn't stable there's something else wrong. Did you clean install Windows or just use the drives from the old system?

Have you updated motherboard BIOS to the latest?

Have you reset CMOS?

Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers...from the AMD web site?

I'd say get those things right first before gimping your system.
I clean installed it because I swapped from Intel to AMD and it made me clean install because of that. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version but I have not reset the CMOS, and I have installed the latest AMD Chipset drivers.

I clean installed it because I swapped from Intel to AMD and it made me clean install because of that. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version but I have not reset the CMOS, and I have installed the latest AMD Chipset drivers.
Definitely reset CMOS. That's essential after updating BIOS and as well after hardware changes like CPU and memory.

Once you've reset CMOS run a memory diagnostic: type memory diagnostic in Cortana and then let it restart to run the test. It might take a while.

If it passes, enable XMP and run it again.

TRENDING THREADS