Sep 16, 2021
Hi, i recently bought an 5600X for another build:
CPU: 5600X with a STOCK COOLER
GPU: 3060 Ti Fe
RAM: 2x8Gb 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO
PSU: EVGA B5 650W
CASE: CORSAIR Airflow 275R 3x120mm (2 in on front panel and 1 on the back) mid tower
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B550M PRO-P (updated to the latest bios)
Windows power plan: high performance

So I mounted all in the case, I updated the bios, and installed the Windows. I did a few windows settings such as deleting unnecessary programs, and I set the power plan in windows settings on high performance. I installed the AIDA 64, HWINFO and I started a stress test on the CPU ONLY. I was a bit shocked about the temps that went from 50 degrees to 80-90 in like few minutes. I tried to launch Apex and Warzone and the temps went to the space like 95 degrees in lobby without even launching in the actual game. Also I saw that the Power Reporting Deviation was marked RED and it was was around 65% and I thought that this motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus B550M PRO-P) is damaged or something.

So I decided to test: is this really the mobo that not working properly or the CPU. I put the 5600x into my assembled PC:
CPU: R5 1600 af with a STOCK COOLER 5600x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 570 8GB
RAM: 2x8 Ballistix Sport LT (OC'd to 3200Mhz 16-19-19-19-38)
PSU: Corsair VS 450 450W
Antec NX300 White 4x 120mm 1x 92mm (2x120mm in front, 1x120mm on the back and 2 on top 1x120mm n 1x92mm) mid tower
MOBO: Gigabyte B450M S2H (updated to the latest bios)
Windows power plan: high performance

So I stared the same test (stress test on the CPU ONLY). The results were pretty good: the max temp was 76 degrees in my closed case (4x120mm n 1x92mm and it's a mid tower), the power plan was the same (high performance), the Power Reporting Deviation was also accurate (around of 100%) so I concluded: the mobo works weird because of this Power Reporting Deviation.

Than I decided to buy a new mobo, an Aorus B550 Pro V2 (updated to the latest bios). I did the test in an OPEN STAND two times: with 5600x & Gigabyte B450M S2H and 5600x & Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro V2. I did this tests twice on the same system: 5600x, RX570, 2x8 Ballistix, 650W PSU and the same drives. The results you can see at those images: and . Every bios config was set by default out of the box and i didn't touched it, no overclocking, all was set to auto (the Core Performance Boost and Precision Boost Overdrive also was at auto).

So my questions are: why am I having this difference in temperatures between this chipsets (b450 and b550) and why is this Power Reporting Deviation so low on the Aorus B550 motherboards? 5600x is really THAT hot? Should I really just buy a new cooler?
Feel free to ask any questions and thank you in advance for any help.
sorry for my poor english guys

Solution
Motherboards often have different power reporting deviations and VCore offsets and other differences in the BIOS presets. It has little to nothing to do with the chipset type per se and more to do with each motherboard manufacturers product placement strategies...if they thought about it at all.

And then you also have to add in that absolutely nothing is calibrated and probably a test environment not very well controlled on your part. A simple thing like ambient temperature can have a significant effect on the performance of the boosting algorithm. You need to make tests with strictly controlled variables and with proper instrumentation to make meaningful conclusions.
Motherboards often have different power reporting deviations and VCore offsets and other differences in the BIOS presets. It has little to nothing to do with the chipset type per se and more to do with each motherboard manufacturers product placement strategies...if they thought about it at all.

And then you also have to add in that absolutely nothing is calibrated and probably a test environment not very well controlled on your part. A simple thing like ambient temperature can have a significant effect on the performance of the boosting algorithm. You need to make tests with strictly controlled variables and with proper instrumentation to make meaningful conclusions.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 16, 2021

the temps in my room were around 25 degrees, also the thermal paste was pre applied one

Last edited:

Latest posts