[SOLVED] 5600X Turbo All Core Speed Question

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Hello I recently got a 5600x and was curious what the turbo all core speed is for yall. In gaming my 5600x never goes above 4199 MHz, and I mean never. I figured something was limiting it but my package temp stays under 70c. I figured it was just the silicon but now noticing just browsing the web it also stays at 4199 literally its min max and value are 4199 under HWmonitor. Doesn't go down or up; I'm using an ASUS B550 -F motherboard is there a BIOS setting I can configure? My settings are stock other than XMP. Any help appreciated thanks.

Solution
The 5000 series is different. It doesn't OC like prior gens nor Intel. Locked core OC is generally an iffy thing. Single thread will boost to 4.7GHz, all core is lower, with PBO tailored. Locked core is a serious drain, so you won't be getting 4.7 across all the cores, probably closer to 4.4/4.5. Now many ppl say that's pretty good, it's a bonus to multiple thread scores, and it is, however even multi core massive games use high amounts of single thread, too many small files. So you are actually loosing out with a locked core OC by chopping single thread power.

All core blender or handbrake is one thing, games are not the same.

For a 5600x I'd use bios to tweak the PBO settings, voltage, phase and current use and especially the ram...

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Out of curiosity, can you pull up Task Manager and see what your CPU usage is at all times? What version of Windows 10 are you currently working with?
I had to BIOS flash back my ASUS board to the latest bios since I don't own a RYZEN 3000 processor. So its the latest
TASK MANAGER: 4.17 - 4.18 Ghz Speed and it shows the base speed as 4.20 Ghz which is weird cause thats not the base speed of the 5600x, usage at idle or web browsing is 3 - 10 % usually at 3; It'll only go to 10 when windows is doing something in the background
I recently updated windows 10 to all the updates it will give me but heres the specific one : 20H2 19042.844

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 5000 series is different. It doesn't OC like prior gens nor Intel. Locked core OC is generally an iffy thing. Single thread will boost to 4.7GHz, all core is lower, with PBO tailored. Locked core is a serious drain, so you won't be getting 4.7 across all the cores, probably closer to 4.4/4.5. Now many ppl say that's pretty good, it's a bonus to multiple thread scores, and it is, however even multi core massive games use high amounts of single thread, too many small files. So you are actually loosing out with a locked core OC by chopping single thread power.

All core blender or handbrake is one thing, games are not the same.

For a 5600x I'd use bios to tweak the PBO settings, voltage, phase and current use and especially the ram timings etc.

My 3700x pulls @ 4895 multi / 784 single in CB R20 at nothing more than tweaked ram and PBO, most things are still on auto. 72°C. Setting a manual OC to 4.4 locked and using same ram timings etc gets me 5101 multi / 768 single at 86°C. Since Default settings also get low 70°s because of higher vcore and a CB of 3854, I'd say I'm happy with a 1000+ gain, even if multi is 200 points behind.

But those are maximums. All cores or just 1 core. The cpu all core runs with a 4.2 multiplier. Running less than all 8 cores I see the boost at 4.3 or 4.4GHz, so I'm not loosing out on anything except a bunch of wasted heat.

My conclusion is Ryzens left alone to act as a Ryzen are just as well off, if not better, than Ryzens messed with to act as Intel Oc'd cpus. Optimizing Ryzen standard behavior will get you more than you think.

Use Dram Calculator and Typhoon Burner to optimize ram, manually setting ram clocks, fclock, uclock appropriately.

Solution