Question 5600x upgrade won't boot with 2 ram sticks

Dec 21, 2022
Hello, I'm trying to upgrade from ryzen 5 2600 to the newer 5600x. When I install the new cpu it will not boot unless I take out a ram stick. I resorted back to the 2600 for now. Which also had Ram issues at first (would recognize 16 gbs but only read 8 gbs) I finally have it working fine after moving the sticks to A1/B1 (still no luck with the 5600x with ram in those slots either). I don't know too much about PCs other than basic components... is there a way this is something other than a faulty 5600x (all pins look normal) ?

Pc specs
Motherboard: Asrock Ab350m Pro4
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600/5600x
ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB 2666MHZ
GPU: MSI Ventus 2X RTX 3060Ti

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I have good luck with this sequence

1 install 1 stick and enable xmp profile. It should boot

2 disable xmp and install both sticks. It should boot now

3 enable xmp once both sticks work at stock. Hopefully now it works.

This usually gets Ryzen working with both sticks for me

Hello, I'm trying to upgrade from ryzen 5 2600 to the newer 5600x. When I install the new cpu it will not boot unless I take out a ram stick. I resorted back to the 2600 for now. Which also had Ram issues at first (would recognize 16 gbs but only read 8 gbs) I finally have it working fine after moving the sticks to A1/B1 (still no luck with the 5600x with ram in those slots either). I don't know too much about PCs other than basic components... is there a way this is something other than a faulty 5600x (all pins look normal) ?

Pc specs
Motherboard: Asrock Ab350m Pro4
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600/5600x
ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB 2666MHZ
GPU: MSI Ventus 2X RTX 3060Ti

update to latest bios and make sure your bios is set to default values any overclocks on ram or xmp profiles not on. as this can stop the cpu posting

from my experiance with this i found the board was more at fault

ive owned ryzen 1600/ ryzen 2600 and ryzen 3600

my ryzen 1600 wouldnt duel channel on a msi motherboard once

and i used multiple ram to see if it was the ram and found no matter what ram i used same fault

but i placed it into a gigabyte motherboard it works fine.

you can try A2/B2 see if it posts

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022
I have good luck with this sequence

1 install 1 stick and enable xmp profile. It should boot

2 disable xmp and install both sticks. It should boot now

3 enable xmp once both sticks work at stock. Hopefully now it works.

This usually gets Ryzen working with both sticks for me
Just checked my bios and I can only choose auto or select a 2666 profile. Should I boot then click on that profile, then install other stick?

Dec 21, 2022
update to latest bios and make sure your bios is set to default values any overclocks on ram or xmp profiles not on. as this can stop the cpu posting

from my experiance with this i found the board was more at fault

ive owned ryzen 1600/ ryzen 2600 and ryzen 3600

my ryzen 1600 wouldnt duel channel on a msi motherboard once

and i used multiple ram to see if it was the ram and found no matter what ram i used same fault

but i placed it into a gigabyte motherboard it works fine.

you can try A2/B2 see if it posts
were you having the same problem with one cpu posting but not the other in dual channel? I'm really hoping it's not the motherboard although it wouldn't shock me.

were you having the same problem with one cpu posting but not the other in dual channel? I'm really hoping it's not the motherboard although it wouldn't shock me.

i upgraded from the ryzen 1600 to 2600 its when i noticed the odd behavior.
it would read 8gb installed but only address 4gb

personally i think the board had a bad chip that was causing the issue or a bad ram slot.

i really doubt its the 5600x

as for the longest time i thought it was the 1600.

but after buying a new board by a diffrent vendor

i have had more success with gigabyte and asus

i would avoid msi as there boards seem plagued with the same exact problem of not detecting the ram.

did you try the ram in slots a2 and b2 ?

Dec 21, 2022
i upgraded from the ryzen 1600 to 2600 its when i noticed the odd behavior.
it would read 8gb installed but only address 4gb

personally i think the board had a bad chip that was causing the issue or a bad ram slot.

i really doubt its the 5600x

as for the longest time i thought it was the 1600.

but after buying a new board by a diffrent vendor

i have had more success with gigabyte and asus

i would avoid msi as there boards seem plagued with the same exact problem of not detecting the ram.

did you try the ram in slots a2 and b2 ?
yea slot a2 and b2 were giving me the problem you had. a1 and b1 works perfect on the 2600 but not the 5600x might just say screw it and push this 2600 for another year or two and build a whole new pc since they changed the socket already.