[SOLVED] 5600x vs 10700k

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Hello all,

I will be upgrading my PC this weekend and have come to a fork in the road. I've only ever had Intel chips in the past, however I am open to either Intel or AMD.

Both CPU's stated above are the exact same price at the moment, so price is not a bargaining chip for either and I cannot afford a more expensive chip or my wife will erase me from existence.

I mainly play FPS shooters like COD MW and Apex, along with some RDR2 and Cities Skylines. My monitor is 1440p @ 165hz. I use a 1080 GPU and will likely be upgrading that next year. Also I've already got a 32gb 3200mhz set of ram ready to go.
Along with gaming I like to have discord chats on my second monitor along with a few chrome pages with youtube or twitch streaming.

The mobos I'd go with are (I need front usb C, and I prefer Asus, but if someone has a chepaer option with the same features im all ears):

Asus Strix B550-E
Asus Strix Z490-A

My biggest thing is to have everything running smoothly, so while I have all these thigns running in the background I don't want my gaming experience to suffer.

What's my best option for the next 4-5 years?
I don't see PCI-E gen 4.0 to be a bottleneck in that timeframe. I doubt 11th gen Intel chips will be readily availible or priced similar to the 10th gen anyways, which is why I'm considering the 10700k.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Solution
I would go for the 10700K
I will always preffer more cores/threads if the gaming performance of both chips is similar.
What cooler will you buy?
Z490+10700K sounds like really good overclock potential.

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
I would go for the 10700K
I will always preffer more cores/threads if the gaming performance of both chips is similar.
What cooler will you buy?
Z490+10700K sounds like really good overclock potential.

That's what I am sort of leaning towards. I already have an H100i ready to go from my current build. i read that the cooler should fit the new intel boards. Although i dont have any other braces for other the AMD board. So in that case i may need to get a new cooler regardless.

Reactions: Dj0gany
the 5600X outperforms the 10700K at almost very thing, in spite of fewer threads.

5FbeNivpukSnocYfuJKXyM-970-80.png

Hello all,

I will be upgrading my PC this weekend and have come to a fork in the road. I've only ever had Intel chips in the past, however I am open to either Intel or AMD.

Both CPU's stated above are the exact same price at the moment, so price is not a bargaining chip for either and I cannot afford a more expensive chip or my wife will erase me from existence.

I mainly play FPS shooters like COD MW and Apex, along with some RDR2 and Cities Skylines. My monitor is 1440p @ 165hz. I use a 1080 GPU and will likely be upgrading that next year. Also I've already got a 32gb 3200mhz set of ram ready to go.
Along with gaming I like to have discord chats on my second monitor along with a few chrome pages with youtube or twitch streaming.

The mobos I'd go with are (I need front usb C, and I prefer Asus, but if someone has a chepaer option with the same features im all ears):

Asus Strix B550-E
Asus Strix Z490-A

My biggest thing is to have everything running smoothly, so while I have all these thigns running in the background I don't want my gaming experience to suffer.

What's my best option for the next 4-5 years?
I don't see PCI-E gen 4.0 to be a bottleneck in that timeframe. I doubt 11th gen Intel chips will be readily availible or priced similar to the 10th gen anyways, which is why I'm considering the 10700k.

Thank you in advance for your responses!
Some reading.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4070vs4084

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks for all of your replies. At this point, being that the total cost for upgrade is exactly the same I'm leaning towards Intel mainly due to the extra cores and threads. I understand that single core IPC for AMD is better, I dont knock that fact. I've been in all sorts of forums trying to read up on PCI-E 4.0 and whether it will be relevant for my build in the next 4-5 years. From what I've learned is that in terms of gaming the 30 series cards do not use the full capacity of the 3.0 spec, at least until engines are able to create new textures that require the additional bandwidth and VRAM. Am I wrong? Or will I be ok with 3.0 for the next 4-5 years?

Thanks for all of your replies. At this point, being that the total cost for upgrade is exactly the same I'm leaning towards Intel mainly due to the extra cores and threads. I understand that single core IPC for AMD is better, I dont knock that fact. I've been in all sorts of forums trying to read up on PCI-E 4.0 and whether it will be relevant for my build in the next 4-5 years. From what I've learned is that in terms of gaming the 30 series cards do not use the full capacity of the 3.0 spec, at least until engines are able to create new textures that require the additional bandwidth and VRAM. Am I wrong? Or will I be ok with 3.0 for the next 4-5 years?
You will be ok,its the same situation with pcie 2.0 motherboards and pcie 3.0 GPU's.
Little to no difference in gaming performance.

Reactions: dempy19

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
You will be ok,its the same situation with pcie 2.0 motherboards and pcie 3.0 GPU's.
Little to no difference in gaming performance.
Thank you for your input. I've decided to go with the intel setup and have just placed my order for the chip. Now just choosing a motherboard as i'm stuck between the Strix-A and the Prime-A

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
up to $350 CAD including taxes (13% where i live). Our main place to get boards is Canada Computers as they have the most stock.
As for the ram, ive got g-skill ripjaws v 32 gb @ 3200mhz and the cooler is an H100i

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
unfortunately they are displayed on their website, however there's no stock anywhere. And there's no news on when they will be available. technically i could wait but they are also starting at about $400 CAD not including tax.

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
That's odd, i'm sorry it didn't work. Could be a VPN issue.
I prefer Asus so these are the ones that are in my price range:

Strix Z490-A
Strix Z490-H
Prime Z490-A
TUF Gaming Z490-Plus WIFI
TUF Gaming Z490-Plus (no wifi)

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
The Z490-A and H are the same,except the A has a little bit of a cover over the capacitors above 1st pcie stot.
Oh and the color,so choose what you like.
I would go for H since i preffer black-red combo.
when comparing the strix A to the Prime A, is there a benefit to the strix? I mean there's a $70 CAD difference in favour of the Prime. I don't plan on heavily overclocking cpu or ram. and color doesn't really matter to me, my pc is under the desk so im not looking at it all the time. I actually forgot my current board Maximus VI Formula was black and red haha

when comparing the strix A to the Prime A, is there a benefit to the strix? I mean there's a $70 CAD difference in favour of the Prime. I don't plan on heavily overclocking cpu or ram. and color doesn't really matter to me, my pc is under the desk so im not looking at it all the time. I actually forgot my current board Maximus VI Formula was black and red haha
See yourself,if you are not planning on heavily ocing i would go for the Prime then.
https://pangoly.com/en/compare/motherboard/asus-prime-z490-a-vs-asus-rog-strix-z490-a-gaming

Reactions: dempy19