[SOLVED] 5600x vs i5-12600k For upgrading current pc

hadjipetroum007

Honorable
Dec 11, 2017
I have enough money to upgrade my current cpu+mobo+ram from intel 4th gen.
Was ready to buy ryzen 5 5600x but alderlake dropped is it worth waiting a bit more for prices to change and switch to the i5-12600k or stick to the current plan with the 5600x

Solution
One metric is the passmark rating.
the R5-5600X has 12 threads and a rating of 22156 with a single thread rating of 3382. The single thread rating is the more important metric for games.

The i5-12600K has 16(edited) threads and a rating of 24464/4048.
A clear winner for gaming, a wash for batch apps.

Today, I think I would go the DDR4 route vs. DDR5.
Performance differences seem to be minor, and DDR4 is cheaper.

Lutfij

Titan
Alder Lake has been having a couple of issues with gaming titles. The same story about not being an early adopter(for Windows 11) can be said for Alder Lake. If you're in imminent need of an upgrade, you can go with either platforms but if you can hold out, see what 2022 has in store for us.

Could you please list what you're on at the moment? Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

and include the app's and tasks that you're going to tax the new system with. On a side note, do not mention an etc in that sentence, only leaves things to guess work/assumptions.

hadjipetroum007

Honorable
Dec 11, 2017
Alder Lake has been having a couple of issues with gaming titles. The same story about not being an early adopter(for Windows 11) can be said for Alder Lake. If you're in imminent need of an upgrade, you can go with either platforms but if you can hold out, see what 2022 has in store for us.

Could you please list what you're on at the moment? Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU: i7-4790k
Motherboard:GA-H87-HD3 Gigabyte
Ram: 12 GB DDR3 1666mhz
SSD/HDD:500 GB Samsung SSD + 1TB HDD
GPU: 1070Ti
PSU: Be quiet Pure Power 600W
Chassis: Z11 High Performance

and include the app's and tasks that you're going to tax the new system with. On a side note, do not mention an etc in that sentence, only leaves things to guess work/assumptions.

I mostly play games on 1080p ( old monitor) and will be using it next year for university but mostly that's it and some streaming

One metric is the passmark rating.
the R5-5600X has 12 threads and a rating of 22156 with a single thread rating of 3382. The single thread rating is the more important metric for games.

The i5-12600K has 16(edited) threads and a rating of 24464/4048.
A clear winner for gaming, a wash for batch apps.

Today, I think I would go the DDR4 route vs. DDR5.
Performance differences seem to be minor, and DDR4 is cheaper.

Last edited:
Solution
Neither will be considered 'too slow' in a year's time...or for that mater, in three year's time.

Tdhat being said, 12600K looks pretty compelling an convincing, but, if rumors of the 5800X at $299 sale for in-store purchase at a Microcenter are true...I'd go that route! (IF the 5600X were suddenly $239, I'd swing in that direction!)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have enough money to upgrade my current cpu+mobo+ram from intel 4th gen.
Was ready to buy ryzen 5 5600x but alderlake dropped is it worth waiting a bit more for prices to change and switch to the i5-12600k or stick to the current plan with the 5600x
Do you even need to upgrade (your PC is no longer performing like you need it to)

If I was not using a few work programs I would still be using my 4790K it played all the games I play just fine but needed a few more cores for the other programs so I got the 10600K when it was released. Looking back I probably should of got the 10700K.

Reactions: Kona45primo

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
As of right now, 12th gen Intel is not "technically" properly supported on W10. AMD is as of yet not properly supported on W11.

IMO and given the current situation I would forgo having to get 11 to have a 12th gen. Just my take. I don't like the marketing when something is crammed down your throat.

I use W11 on one machine, an 11th gen Intel and it's fine and all for playing around. I would not yet depend on this OS to do actual work or as an only computer.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
If you really need to upgrade I'd wait for prices to drop and get the Ryzen... With new intel out & updated AMD cpus's coming prices should come down significantly.

Might be able to find some good deals on black Friday. That may be the time to do a price/performance graph and if it makes sense pull the trigger on whatever makes the most sense.

With the advent of big/little cores, windows scheduling needed changes to work optimally. Windows 10 recognized the difference in performance between a main thread and a hyperthread.
Windows 11 does that better and gets help form the thread director capabilities of 12th gen. It is more a matter of being able to run at best than not being able to run at all.