[SOLVED] 5600XT or 5700XT or wait

May 27, 2020
Hi all

People here have helped me before, with my indecisive nature, so I apologize if im bringing up cliche questions

I game 99% of the time on my xbox, I use my PC for Total Warhammer 2. Its a i59400F, 16 gb ram, 1440p 144hz monitor. The Nitro n50-600 model, I dont know the mother board but people say upgrading on these models can be an issue.

I want to get a new graphics card to finish it off for Warhammer and the other PC only games, Everything else I will play on this are just strategy games or PC only games.

The 5600XT I am told can do 1440p and high frame rates and the 5700XT is of course more powerful and more expensive. I dont care about 4K or 144 frames a second. 2K and 100 frames would be great.

Is the 5600XT fine? or the extra £100 for the 5700XT worth it? OR do I wait until the end of the year for price drops?

I also will need a new PSU I imagine, which I know nothing about and which one to get and which one fits for my PC but thats another subject

Solution
Take a look at the first link in my sig for recommendations of what to use/what to avoid. The write up there is what I would consider to be a MUST READ when it comes to PSU selection.

You definitely want a quality unit. Also, even if you were to get an Nvidia card, you'd still have to worry about the PSU. But, you're definitely going to get better price/performance from AMD.

When you get the new GPU, follow these steps:
  1. Download the latest WHQL drivers from AMD
  2. Download the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Guru3D
  3. Reboot the computer into Safe Mode
  4. Run DDU, choosing the option that will shutdown the PC after removal of drivers
  5. When the PC shuts down, remove your old GPU (if any) and install...
Not gonna lie, I have no idea. When I bought it, the description said 500W but I been told to look that up as its a Acer pre built one.

You'd be better just pulling the side panel and having a look at the label.

Also check what you have pci express power cable wise.

I think you'll end up with a new psu even if you bought the 5600xt.

I have a sneaky feeling your current psu will only have 1 pci express connector.

Reactions: King_V
Okay. LiteOn is not a great PSU brand, and while that's a 500W PSU, which will run a 5700/XT, it almost certainly has only 1 PCIe 6-pin, and you'll need 2. So you want to get a new PSU.

Also I show your current GPU is an NVidia card. If you swap to a AMD GPU, you will want to do a complete uninstall (including using a registry cleaner) to remove ALL NVidia driver information before installing the drivers for the 5700XT.

Alternately, you could try a 2060 Super or 2070 instead

May 27, 2020
Any PSU brands you would recommend then? And should I just go Nvidia then? Im sorry to ask so much but when I get a new GPU , its hugely unlikely I will upgrade it again as I use it for limited purposes.

Any PSU brands you would recommend then? And should I just go Nvidia then? Im sorry to ask so much but when I get a new GPU , its hugely unlikely I will upgrade it again as I use it for limited purposes.

With you being in the UK the 5700xt is the card to buy, it blitzes the 2060 super, it beats the 2070 handily (a card that's at least £50 more), the majority of the time it'll keep within 10% of a 2070 super (a card that costs £500+)

Go with the powercolor red dragon I suggested, it has excellent reviews, swapping drivers is a non issue, its a 5 minute process.

Thats a really good psu but non modular, I don't know how much room you have in that case to keep cables out of the way??

Struggling to find anything better in the uk at the minute, psu stocks are very low or very overpriced.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Take a look at the first link in my sig for recommendations of what to use/what to avoid. The write up there is what I would consider to be a MUST READ when it comes to PSU selection.

You definitely want a quality unit. Also, even if you were to get an Nvidia card, you'd still have to worry about the PSU. But, you're definitely going to get better price/performance from AMD.

When you get the new GPU, follow these steps:
  1. Download the latest WHQL drivers from AMD
  2. Download the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Guru3D
  3. Reboot the computer into Safe Mode
  4. Run DDU, choosing the option that will shutdown the PC after removal of drivers
  5. When the PC shuts down, remove your old GPU (if any) and install the new GPU
  6. Boot up, and immediately install the drivers you downloaded in step 1
  7. Enjoy

Solution
May 27, 2020
Thank you!

I will wait until the end of the year or Black Friday time to see if cards drop in price and likely buy a PSU at the same time, no point getting one and the other.

So for PSU I need a 650W with modular?

TRENDING THREADS