560Ti and wait for Kepler, or 580?

desastrux

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
4
0
18,510
So I am wondering what I should do, I am building a rig soon, and I am wondering, should I get a GTX 560 Ti Hawk for right now, and wait for Kepler. Or should I just get a GTX 580 Lightning. i will eventually be getting a 2nd GPU next year.

I will eventually be running 3 24" Dell U2412M Monitors, 5760x1200.
 

jabroni

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
24
0
18,510
Well I have been looking into what monitor to get, im so torn between ips and 120hz.

As for budget on cards, right now the 600 for the msi lightning xe would be my budget.
 

solomonshv

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
153
0
18,710
the wait for kepler is probably not worth it. nvidia promised better "performance per watt" but didn't actually say anything about it's performance relative to Fermi. which is strange since they usually claim 10% to 20% increases before a major refresh.

southern island from AMD probably wont be much better. if you are looking for graphic cards now, especially for 3 monitors, you should go for a 2 card set up.

I would get a pair of GTX 570. they can be had for $260 a piece. here is one example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=gtx%20570&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

HD 6970's in crossfire are nice too, which is what I have at the moment, but those will cost you at least $80 more over the GTX 570 SLI set up.

It depends entirely on your budget.
 

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
449
0
18,860


It will do ok. That is why most people recommend dual 6970's in Xfire because of their 2gb buffer. At higher than 1080p resolution, that extra vram can make a big difference.
 

jabroni

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
24
0
18,510
How do you all think prices will compare on the kepler cards? Say if I get a 560ti for now, and then upgrade when kepler comea out. I know this is speculation, but what do u think prices will be on the 670 and 680 compared to the 570 and 580 now.
 

geebus phishy, ive been giving you alot of +1 today! Dis man speaks the troofffff
 
Actually if you look at reviews comparing the 6950 1gb and 2gb models at 2560x1600, the difference isn't all that much. Usually less than 5fps and sometimes basically even.

That said I do think more VRAM the better for huge resolution, but I wouldn't exactly say 1.25gb is going to suffer in a big way.

Anyway I think that no matter what you do, you'll have some buyers remorse. Buy big now and in 5 months there's something much better, or buy cheap now and probably be unhappy with it, maybe buy a second card, and again in a few months regret buying them due to the better new stuff.

If I were you, I think I might just go with a 120hz display and a 560 Ti and when the next gen come out, think about a couple more monitors and a more powerful card. Either that or just get the 580 because it's a beast of a card and should pump enough juice for 3 monitors - although maybe not at absolute max settings in every single game.
 

esp at that resolution on 3 monitors, it wont run games max.