[SOLVED] 5700, 5700xt, vega64, redeon vii which one is best

Dec 14, 2019
5700, 5700xt, vega64, redeon vii, rtx 2070 super.
Which card is best for 2k 144hz gaming.
Do these cards have any issue of drivers or failures or any kind of thing which lead to waste of money.

Solution
...there are a lot of complaints...
From where? Reddit? Amazon?
I assure you, those multiple complaints are in the minority...

I read their issues that they are not performing well... early death or crashing.
There can be many causes attributed to those issues, moreso user created, than on the manufacturer's end, with the most common being:
-people pairing the 2070 Super with some crappy, cheap ass Thermaltake, Tacens, Gamemax, EVGA, Corsair - the list goes on - power supply. The card itself isn't even that bad on power use, but for junk psus, it's rough on them.
-the 2070 Super can be run on 1080p just fine, but needs a strong cpu to go with it. Don't expect stellar performance from builds running cpus like an I5-2500...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
5700, 5700xt
Very good value options and direct competitors to the 2060 Super and 2070 Super respectively.

A power sucker. Seriously, you need a darn good power supply to run this thing - it's power consumption rivals that of a 2080Ti while delivering nowhere near the performance of one; it's closer to a 2060 Super.

radeon vii
It baffles me how this one still manages to pop up in at least one thread a month, even though it died off after a mere 6 months.
Hot, power hungry, and driver support is dead too - any bugs you may run into won't get fixed anytime soon...
Hard pass.

rtx 2070 super
Pretty much the next best option after the RX 5700XT, and before the RTX 2080 Super, where the prices start getting stupid...

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
I wouldn't recommend buying one but with a decent undervolt the Vega 64 is a beast, I've seen them as low as £200 on the used market which at that price point is insane. I'd stay away from Radeon VII as well as they are workstation cards which didn't make the cut.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019
I think I will go with rtx 2070 super but as I read their issues that they are not performing well lot of complaint about their early death or crashing. Some said it's early generation of ray tracing so should I wait for upcoming GPUs. In dellima I don't want to buy GPU every year. Looking for a GPU which can kick ass of all games on 2k 144hz for next 5 to 6 years.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
...there are a lot of complaints...
From where? Reddit? Amazon?
I assure you, those multiple complaints are in the minority...

I read their issues that they are not performing well... early death or crashing.
There can be many causes attributed to those issues, moreso user created, than on the manufacturer's end, with the most common being:
-people pairing the 2070 Super with some crappy, cheap ass Thermaltake, Tacens, Gamemax, EVGA, Corsair - the list goes on - power supply. The card itself isn't even that bad on power use, but for junk psus, it's rough on them.
-the 2070 Super can be run on 1080p just fine, but needs a strong cpu to go with it. Don't expect stellar performance from builds running cpus like an I5-2500, any of those FX cpus, I5-6400 and 7600, or Ryzen 1200/2200g.
-running outdated drivers.
-running odd numbered, or mixed memory configs, and the 2070 Super just so happens to make the cpu work hard enough that it triggers a crap ton of errors from the mismatched config.
-Ryzen owners running memory configs below 3000
-running the gpu in a cramped case(blower cards exist for SFF case users), or one whose design chokes off the airflow, thus overheating it.

Some said it's early generation of ray tracing...
The ray tracing feature isn't related to the issue those people are reporting, and they can turn it on or off as they so choose.
In it's current state, RTX On isn't worth running, save for a few trial runs, only to seldom be touched again - the performance impact is immense. Even the 2070 Super can't sustain 60fps @ 1080p in all titles, and that's rather embarrassing, considering the RTX price premium.

In dellima I don't want to buy GPU every year.
Understandable.

Looking for a GPU which can kick ass of all games on 2k 144hz for next 5 to 6 years.
You're asking for the impossible.
Flagship gpus are pushing it at 5 years. A 2070 Super would be good for 3 years - maybe 4, if technology has a stale year...

Solution
Dec 14, 2019
What psu do you have?

Yes they will all work together without issue. However as you were running 144Hz and therefore aiming for higher FPS a 4790 is going to limit performance regardless of gpu choice.
I have vs550psu, I was using 1060 but some how damaged in an experiment.😂 If needed I will buy a 80plus gold psu

Dec 14, 2019
I definitely would not risk a 2070 Super on that psu, it’s a low quality unit. I’d go with a high quality 550 or even 650w. Then you are good to go.
I have another PSU corsair's GS800 this is 80 plus bronze do think it will be fine? If not will buy 80plus gold in 750 or 850 watts for future

Dec 14, 2019
Gold plus or platinum doesnt mean that the psu is good quality psu, i can show you a bronze psu from seasonic 10 times better quality then a platinum from delux or raidmax or any cheap chinesse brand.
I have another PSU corsair's GS800 80PLUS BRONze. Will it be fine. If not name the one you think will best even for future use.