Question 5700 or 2060 Super? TDP Differences

handtuch

Commendable
Jan 24, 2018
Morning,

So after 5 years living with my 7850 it finally breathed its last yesterday.. well it was a good run

I've been planning an upgrade since last year, back then i conclude that a 1060 6GB would be enough (160% increase based on UserBenchark). but after seeing nvidia's Turing & hearing AMD's Navi i decided to wait and see how things will go

i've been eyeing the 2060 Super & 5700 for a while now, from benchmarks it seems the 5700 is better in term of raw gaming power & overall value. but i plan to do Machine Learning stuff and i heard Nvidia's tensor cores are good for those. also i'm intrigued (and confused) regarding ray-tracing and its future.

also im on a quite tight power consmpt. budget here, i use a 800VA-ish UPS and cant afford more now. does the difference in TDP (2060S 160w 5700 180w) will be significant?

for now, im leaning into 2060 super, but the benchmarks kinda pull me the otherway. the deciding point is whether RT & Tensor Cores are useful

there's also going full budget into 1660ti..

well any inputs are welcomed! thank you!

For the RTX 2060 SUPER GPU, Nvidia is listing a max 175 Watts TDP as the maximum Graphics Card power. AMD mentions Typical Board Power of 180 W, so I don't think there might be a very huge difference in power consumption between these cards.

You need to decide whether you really want to play Ray TRACING games or not. What are your current PC specs, especially the make/model of your Monitor and PSU ? RTX is currently in it's "infancy" stage, and it would take few more years for this technology to become mainstream.

For Machine Learning/ML and other similar stuff, the TESNOR cores might help. RAY TRACING is still demanding on the PC, even on 1080p,, and in some cases it isn't worth the performance loss.

IMO, apart from all the above factors, it seems we are basically paying an "early adopter" price for this new Turing tech/hardware, hence the premium. I know Nvidia has totally changed the GPU arch as well, with the addition of new RT and Tensor Cores, and other design/pipeline improvements (memory/cache) etc.

But to take proper advantage of this hardware, very few games and software are currently out in the market. So basically the hardware won't get fully utilized (if we think from this perspective). Also, how well some of the upcoming Games will actually perform on a TURING GPU, with Real time ray tracing and DLSS, still remains to be seen. I think it will take at least another 2-3 years for this whole RTX technology to become mainstream.

As of now, few PC titles are going to take full advantage of this new RTX feature, provided Game developers also adopt and implement ray tracing, and DLSS deep learning AA in games as well. Still, it's good to see new Tech being released. With time things might settle down a bit, and the performance gain might be there when DLSS and Ray Tracing features are enabled.

handtuch

Commendable
Jan 24, 2018
For the RTX 2060 SUPER GPU, Nvidia is listing a max 175 Watts TDP as the maximum Graphics Card power. AMD mentions Typical Board Power of 180 W, so I don't think there might be a very huge difference in power consumption between these cards.

You need to decide whether you really want to play Ray TRACING games or not. What are your current PC specs, especially the make/model of your Monitor and PSU ? RTX is currently in it's "infancy" stage, and it would take few more years for this technology to become mainstream.

For Machine Learning/ML and other similar stuff, the TESNOR cores might help. RAY TRACING is still demanding on the PC, even on 1080p,, and in some cases it isn't worth the performance loss.

IMO, apart from all the above factors, it seems we are basically paying an "early adopter" price for this new Turing tech/hardware, hence the premium. I know Nvidia has totally changed the GPU arch as well, with the addition of new RT and Tensor Cores, and other design/pipeline improvements (memory/cache) etc.

But to take proper advantage of this hardware, very few games and software are currently out in the market. So basically the hardware won't get fully utilized (if we think from this perspective). Also, how well some of the upcoming Games will actually perform on a TURING GPU, with Real time ray tracing and DLSS, still remains to be seen. I think it will take at least another 2-3 years for this whole RTX technology to become mainstream.

As of now, few PC titles are going to take full advantage of this new RTX feature, provided Game developers also adopt and implement ray tracing, and DLSS deep learning AA in games as well. Still, it's good to see new Tech being released. With time things might settle down a bit, and the performance gain might be there when DLSS and Ray Tracing features are enabled.

Hmm yeah i do think if i wanna go RTX i should have minimum 2080 to run smoothly...
also after more finding it seems AMD Machine Learning software has gone better

But damn custom 5700 wont release until august, some in september even....
whilst 2060S has tons of custom already

Personally, I would pick the RTX-2060s since the gaming performance is pretty similar TBH, but since RTX has Nvidia CUDA support as well as the new tensor cores. CUDA definitely is already supported by a ton of different software for acceleration and the Tensor cores are in their infancy, but might get support for acceleration of specific workloads.