[SOLVED] 5700 XT crashes on idle

Gvidas_3

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
10 minutes ago I was browsing discord, when discord crashed I thought it was just some random program crash since I could still use other programs in the background but then yellow flash and no signal followed. All fans remained spinning but I had to restart since driver didn't reset itself so I assume I might have faulty gpu?

Solution
10 minutes ago I was browsing discord, when discord crashed I thought it was just some random program crash since I could still use other programs in the background but then yellow flash and no signal followed. All fans remained spinning but I had to restart since driver didn't reset itself so I assume I might have faulty gpu?
Managed to fix it by disabling hardware acceleration on discord

Gvidas_3

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
Driver version if it matters is 19.8.2, the latest one.

Please provide complete and FULL PC specs.

1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Gvidas_3

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
CPU: Ryzen 3900X
CPU Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
GPU: AMD RX 5700 XT THICC2
RAM: 2x8 3000Mhz Cl15 Ballistix
PSU: Supremo FM2 750w Gold
SSD: Adata sx6000 pro 512GB
Case: Cooler master h500

Gvidas_3 Before you continue troubleshooting, I recommend that you update to the latest drivers. I don't personally own the RX 5700 XT, but I'm basing my advise directly on the summary that Steve from Gamer's Nexus provided below; I've time stamped the video to jump to his rant about the poor drivers. Try updating to the latest drivers first, and if that doesn't work then download and run DDU (Display Drivers Uninstaller) and then download and install a fresh copy of the same latest AMD drivers. That's my advice.

Gamer's Nexus: Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse Review: Thermals, Noise, & Overclocking
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJCm7bnOfU&t=19m56s

By the way, that is a seriously sexy GPU that you purchased. I was actually looking to get my hands on one of those XFX models for a friend, here in the US.

Last edited:

Gvidas_3

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
Managed to fix it by disabling hardware acceleration on discord

Solution