Dec 23, 2019
I recently purchased a Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT and I'm enjoying the card a lot. I haven't gotten any of the AMD black screen driver issues; however, I am having trouble controlling the fan curve. I've tried using MSI Afterburner and the adrenaline software. I set it to 40% fan speed until it hits 80 degrees and then have it kick up, the issue is it's not even hitting 80 degrees, yet its fans are ramping up anyways. I know it's not an issue of maybe it's misreading the GPU temperature, because I've set the curve to a static speed and it still ramps up under load. Is AMD having trouble with fan curve control?

Solution
My fans are already spinning. Their idle speed it whatever I set in the AMD software fan curve and then when the GPU starts to heat up, probably around 60 degrees the fans blow past my fan curve. There isn't a zero rmp mode that I can find in the newest version of the AMD software sadly
RypMOJa.png

This is what I am talking about.

This is my first time using the new Tuning area, basically the same thing as old Wattman, but I am noticing this is much easier to use than Wattman was. Either way I would make sure you have ZeroRPM mode disabled first. I tried playing some games with everything on default and my fans ramped up exactly like how you were talking about, but once I disabled Zero RPM that didn't...

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Hmm... did you disable zero rpm mode in wattman? By default the 5700xt has semi passive cooling enabled which means even if you have a custom fan curve set, your card is going to ignore it and only try to cool itself down when it hits 60c. I have a gigabyte card but they should operate relatively the same. FYI I don't have any of the Radeon software installed. I did a driver only install. I use Aorus engine to disable semi-passive cooling and control everything with MSI Afterburner.

Dec 23, 2019
Hmm... did you disable zero rpm mode in wattman? By default the 5700xt has semi passive cooling enabled which means even if you have a custom fan curve set, your card is going to ignore it and only try to cool itself down when it hits 60c. I have a gigabyte card but they should operate relatively the same. FYI I don't have any of the Radeon software installed. I did a driver only install. I use Aorus engine to disable semi-passive cooling and control everything with MSI Afterburner.
I don't think Wattman is still a thing in Radeon's software as far as I can tell. In my software there is a fan tuning area under the performance tab under tuning. I can only control fan curve though, nothing else.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Interesting, since I have not bothered with the software since 19 edition I can't say I know much about the new tuning area. I would assume there would still be a "Zero RPM" or "semi-passive function." I am only assuming this is part of the issue because I couldn't fully control mine until I disabled this.

So my question is do your fans ramp up from "zero" or are your fans already spinning and then they ramp up? And do you know a general temp at which they do? Or maybe they ramp up once the GPU is under load? Describe when and under what conditions the fans ramp up.

Dec 23, 2019
Interesting, since I have not bothered with the software since 19 edition I can't say I know much about the new tuning area. I would assume there would still be a "Zero RPM" or "semi-passive function." I am only assuming this is part of the issue because I couldn't fully control mine until I disabled this.

So my question is do your fans ramp up from "zero" or are your fans already spinning and then they ramp up? And do you know a general temp at which they do? Or maybe they ramp up once the GPU is under load? Describe when and under what conditions the fans ramp up.
My fans are already spinning. Their idle speed it whatever I set in the AMD software fan curve and then when the GPU starts to heat up, probably around 60 degrees the fans blow past my fan curve. There isn't a zero rmp mode that I can find in the newest version of the AMD software sadly

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I would have to install the software so I can see exactly what you are talking about. End of month is really busy for me at work. I'll try it out Saturday or Sunday to see if I the same thing happens to my card. If I can duplicate it then its safe to say that Radeon software is still having some issues. If you have time to tinker you can try to DDU the drivers and software and do a driver only install to see if this fixes your issue. None the less I'll get back to you once I give it a try.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
RypMOJa.png

This is what I am talking about.

This is my first time using the new Tuning area, basically the same thing as old Wattman, but I am noticing this is much easier to use than Wattman was. Either way I would make sure you have ZeroRPM mode disabled first. I tried playing some games with everything on default and my fans ramped up exactly like how you were talking about, but once I disabled Zero RPM that didn't happen again.

I have gamed for about an hour now, downloaded a couple of things, and did some normal tasks with my computer, but I have not been able to duplicate the issue while ZeroRPM mode is disabled. Also make sure to Apply the changes once you have made them and restarting the software to make sure the changes have taken effect. Another issue is if you are using Radeon Software and another program like MSIAB settings you set in one could conflict with another, so that may be a cause, but I am only guessing.

uBwtweq.png

This is just a random fan curve I have set up for now. I will continue to test this software out. It is working well so far. Let me know if you are still having issues.

Solution