Question 5700 Xt Fan Speed Randomly Goes Up

thatyugiohguy123

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
When browsing on Chrome, my newly acquired 5700xt will randomly spike up to over 3000 rpm for a couple of seconds then goes down. This happens every couple of minutes, any solutions / fixes?

These are my specs
CPU: RYZEN 1600X
MOBO: MSI 350M PRO VD PLUS
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
GPU: Red Dragon 5700 xt
PSU: 750 W

If you haven't set a custom fan curve, this is normal. By default, the 5700 cards don't run the cooling fans until it reaches 60 C, then will crank the fans until temps fall back down. The AMD Radeon graphics driver is where you will find the fan curve to edit, in the power settings. The default fan curve is, frankly, just awful. The fans are set to the same speed for all temps, and you can easily crash when gaming due to the fan speeds not increasing when needed.

I like to set mine to about 35% speed, and then start going up after 60C. This way, unless I'm gaming, I don't have to worry about frequent fan noise, as they're pretty quiet at lower speeds. Temps average out to about 40-45C on average non-gaming use.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

thatyugiohguy123

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
If you haven't set a custom fan curve, this is normal. By default, the 5700 cards don't run the cooling fans until it reaches 60 C, then will crank the fans until temps fall back down. The AMD Radeon graphics driver is where you will find the fan curve to edit, in the power settings. The default fan curve is, frankly, just awful. The fans are set to the same speed for all temps, and you can easily crash when gaming due to the fan speeds not increasing when needed.

I like to set mine to about 35% speed, and then start going up after 60C. This way, unless I'm gaming, I don't have to worry about frequent fan noise, as they're pretty quiet at lower speeds. Temps average out to about 40-45C on average non-gaming use.
Hi, I have been trying to do that, but my custom fan curves are never save in Radeon, do you know of any solutions to fix this? Also, whenever I do setup a custom fan curve, my rpms automatically shoot up to 3000 rpm, and then they just stay there within the fan curve, when my temps are not even high to begin with. I've tried a lot of stuff and nothing is working. I also have included a screenshot below.
View: https://imgur.com/a/xuiEMGe

Last edited:
Are you saving the settings? There's a button on the upper right to save and apply the curve, I forget to do that sometimes lmao

Also, are you using any other GPU overclocking/fan curve programs, such as MSI Afterburner? I used to have that and they had massive conflicts with each other and wouldn't work until I uninstalled Afterburner entirely

thatyugiohguy123

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
Are you saving the settings? There's a button on the upper right to save and apply the curve, I forget to do that sometimes lmao

Also, are you using any other GPU overclocking/fan curve programs, such as MSI Afterburner? I used to have that and they had massive conflicts with each other and wouldn't work until I uninstalled Afterburner entirely
I am saving these settings lmao. I did have that and MSI Afterburner installed, uninstalled MSI Afterburner, restarted my computer, then tried to do these fan settings as well. After I do apply the fan curve, my GPU shoots up to 3000 rpm and just stays there, and then when I put it back on the default settings, it goes back to being silent. I don't really know what is going on.