Question 5700x or 5800x for 15€ more?

cifroes

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I was on the lookout for a good deal on a 5700x to upgrade my build but from some strange reason, the latest prices update on my local stores got the difference from 5700x to 5800x down to 15€.

I know, seems like a no brainer to get the better one but I'm worried about the 65W TDP vs 105W. I'm really interested in having a cool and quiet build (as much as possible) since this pc is used about 80% for light usage and just 20% for gaming so I very much favour having a cool and quiet PC and that's why I was thinking about the 5700x. But now with the tiny price difference I'm confused.

Is the 5800x gonna run as cool as the 5700x in light loads? (in my case what matters is 'quiet', as in the fans don't spin up very much but cool and quiet are related). Can I easily set the TDP for the 5800x to match the 5700x in Ryzen Master?

For future proof it seems like a no brainer to spend the extra 15€ but I'm really, really concerned about noise in light loads. I think most reviews tells to get the 5700x but didn't consider this tiny price difference.

For reference, I'm upgrading from a 2400G that is quiet enough with the stock cooler. The new mobo will be an Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus pairing with a RX 5700. I would probably overspend on a Noctua cooler that fits my case to try to cool it down properly.

Both CPU are the same apart from the Boost Frequency also if you get good enough cooler then it will help the cpu out maybe try saving up for a10 cooler instead off fan one!. Dont think you have to worry about the power along as PSU can handle it. Or you can save up abit more and get next level up cpu and motherboard and get AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X, AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X, AM4, Zen 3, 12 Core, 24 Thread, 3.7GHz, 4.8GHz Turbo, 70MB Cache, PCIe 4.0, 105W, CPU Retail or try find an bundle deal!

SpecificationAMD Ryzen 7 5700XAMD Ryzen 7 5800X
CPU SocketAMD AM4AMD AM4
Cores88
Threads1616
LithographyTSMC 7nm FinFETTSMC 7nm FinFET
Base Frequency3.4GHz3.8GHz
Boost FrequencyUp to 4.6GHzUp to 4.7GHz
Unlocked for overclocking?YesYes
L3 Cache32MB32MB
Default TDP65W105W
Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax)90°C90°C
Memory SupportDDR4-3200 Up to 128GBDDR4 up to 3200MHz Up to 128GB
Integrated GraphicsNANA

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I know, seems like a no brainer to get the better one
Define better? Performance is almost identical. Side by side, there isn't a person on the planet able to tell with even the remotest possibility of being certain just which is which. It takes a benchmark to quantify the difference.
Is the 5800x gonna run as cool as the 5700x
Nope. Power consumption favors the 5700x in any load, as a result, it'll always run cooler.
For future proof it seems like a no brainer to spend the extra 15€
Spending extra for better quality, that's going to last longer and therefore end up as better value is one thing, spending extra for something thats essentially the same as something cheaper, with zero realistic expectations that it's going to be viable, longer, is nuts. 5700x vs 5900x/5950x, that's different, there's physical differences and definable gaming/production value, but 2x 8 core cpus that'll boost the same, have the same internals, get basically the same results?

Gaming averages @ 10fps difference at 1080p, is less for 1440p and within margin of error at 4k. If that's worth the €15, and the extra cooling requirements, potential fan noise (or not, depending on the cooler), go for it, just for most ppl it's €15 extra, plus whatever extra is spent on the bigger cooler.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
If you use Ryzen Master you can put the 5800x in Eco mode for when you want to run cool. Eco mode essentially limits the wattage to around 65W. You can also do this easily manually, I still think the 5700x will run cooler as it has a 400mhz lower min clock speed.

If you like playing around and getting the highest #'s in terms of mhz, go for the 5800x. If you could care less, go for the 5700x.

I have a 5700x and have tweaked the power up a bit, and it's still super cool. Rarely exceeds 60C with a Deepcool AS500 plus.

You really can't go wrong either way, but from a binning standpoint I think the 5800x is technically better... Although that is just an assumption with literally nothing to back it up.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen uses 1x 8core chip for everything. Part of the reason why it is generally so cost effective, they don't have multiple orders for specific core products like Intel.

So let's say you get a 5600x. It's got the exact same 8 core chip as a 5800x. The difference being, AMD has either killed the 2x weakest cores, tested and found 1 or 2 failed cores etc. Result is you get a 6 core cpu that's binned as good. The 5800x is actually the best binned, as all 8 cores on that chip need to be perfect. Makes it more expensive and limited and puts the retail cost higher than was expected.

5900x uses 2x 5600x chips, so you've got a lot of room to move, 4x weaker/failed cores worth. That puts it easier to accomplish, lots more options, good final bin but doesn't need perfect cores. So retail was cheaper, barely over the 5800x price.

5950x was in very short supply initially, very limited because it uses 2x 5800x chips, so was in direct competition with the 5800x for market share, AMD wanting to shelve 5800x's but had to also put out 5950x as well. Hardest to bin and most expensive because every 5950x produced meant 2x 5800x didn't get made.

The 5700x uses the same 8 core chip as the 5800x, but with sales slowing, there's more chips available, and because of power and internal settings differences generally ends up being the best binned of every chip, simply because it has to do what a 5800x does, yet with only 88w or so vs the 5800x 142w.

Base speed is semi meaningless, it's the non-turbo default lowest all core speed. Since most ppl use the cpu boosted to turbo speeds, or at idle, the chances of staying at base speed for any length of time are so close to zero as to not be realistically measurable.

Enable PBO, add 100MHz to the boost, and you get a 65w class 5800x, for all intents and purposes.

Reactions: GarrettL