[SOLVED] 5700XT Junction temp high

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
While under load my 5700XT will be at around 80 C overall temp but my junction temp will shoot up to 110 C and sometimes go as high as 112 C but it does not stay there long. I have read that 110C is normal for the junction temp. I put a ticket in with MSI and they are saying it is not normal but according to the blog by AMD https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/...e-more-control-over-gpu-power-and/ba-p/418629 it is. It is possible that I just need some better airflow in the case to lower the temp such as getting a GPU cooler like the one linked or is MSI correct and the card needs to be RMA'd to be checked for defectiveness? I did swap it out and put in my old RX 580 and loaded up a game and it also ran at 80C but of course there is no junction temp for it to monitor on that card.

Solution
The problem is that i don't think you can rma since those temps are within specs.

Also, is it the founder model (aka https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-5700-XT-8G ) or a custom card like the gaming x or the mech OC? Because if it's the "baseline" 5700xt those temps seems to be actually good, because as you can see from this picture here https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/achE7FNfwC8tJ362yn6g2e.png it can reach temperatures to the mid 80s on the dye and 110 degrees constant on the junction. So IF IT IS, i'd say that that's the best result you can get, low 70 and junction temps withing 100 degrees (yes, some spikes here and there but it's spikes, it's not constant 110 degrees like before). The cooler on the base model...

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
You have to undervolt my dude. Check on youtube "how to undervolt 5700xt". They come out of the box with a crazy 1.2 v on it, which is almost cpu voltages lol. It's a known "issue". AMD says it's fine and it technically is. It's def not optimal and you can achieve better temps and performance by simply undervolting.

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Thanks I will give that a shot. Searching briefly most of the videos I can find deal with overclocking and undervolting in the same video. I have never undervolted or overclocked a card before.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
No worries mate. It's really easy. Just put something like 2000 on the clock and 1.090/1.1 mV and you should be cool. If you crash, rise the voltage a little like by 0.10. But any 5700xt should be able to do a 2000 mhz/1.1 mV undervolt. By doing that you should see junction temp drops drastically around 90 degrees if not even more. Depends on your model cooler.

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Thanks for that I would probably be guessing at what to set it at with trail and error. I know this is probably a dumb question but would adding more fans or even a GPU cooler be beneficial or overkill in this scenario provided the undervolting solves the heating issue? Its dumb because I know more air flow is always a good thing in a PC.

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
I did the tuning and it did bring the temps down. While playing Godfall the overall temp was still 80C and the junction temp did lower to an average 105C but did spike a few times to 109C. I put the frequency at 2000 like you mentioned. The voltage to 1106 and the VRAM to 1800. Not sure if I should lower the voltage any or not? I also tried playing Cyberpunk 2077 as well and neither game had any issues for the time that I was playing them. I played for about 5 to 10 minutes on each. I am going to try forcing more air into the case with a fan to see if it is also an airflow issue.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Mhm yeah. Try to go as low as 1080 mV. That should shave off another 4/5 degrees. My settings ultimately were 1970 mhz on the core (basically -100mhz which are ininfluential on performance, i was losing 3% which is abysmal) at 1053mV. I would keep trying to go as low as you can before you run into crashes to be honest before doing anything else. Also, what is the fan set up? You might have a too low fans set up. I used to set mine to around 70% when the degrees reached 88 degrees. Keep in mind, with radeon cards the sensor is on the junction temperature, not the core. So the fan curve references the junction temperature. True, it would turn a bit noisy under heavy stress but nothing that headphones would fix tbh. But everyone is different in that regard. I can deal with 55db when under load. I know people lose their sh*t when they hear anything above 40 db lol.
That used to let it rest at 90/92 at the junction temp and 68/70 on the core. Which for this card is absolutely normal (i had a thicc 3 ultra by xfx for reference). Also, I had an airflow case (4000d from corsair) with 2 arctic pwm 140mm on the front, 1 on the top and 1 120mm on the rear so it was quite aired... that probably helped also shaving off some degrees.

What case do you have? How many fans? It's proven that adding a bottom 120mm fan on the front helps out with the gpu temps. People think that the air goes into the psu shroud but it actually goes under the gpu, making its fans pull in that fresh air.

Last edited:

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
I have the Fractal Design Meshify C with 2 120MM in the front and 1 120MM in the rear. I can add 2 more 120MM on the top of the case and I plan on adding those soon. I did not touch the fan setup. When under load the fans on the GPU were running at just under 2000 RPM. Honestly I am not worried about the noise at all. I have noise canceling headphones so I don't hear much when I have them on. I will keep adjusting the settings on the GPU and bump up the fan speed when it starts getting hot. Just for reference my card is the MSI RX 5700 XT. I am also thinking that adding the GPU cooler might be worth the money if these changes don't help.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Nah dude that's a great airflow case. I would simply add the last bottom 120 mm and one on top of the case in the back. But that's just over optimizing at this point.

2000 rpm is a little slow at max temp. I would atleast bump them up to 2600/2700 rpm if as you said sound is not a problem. If temps are still in the 100 degrees try what i told ya. Se the fan speed in adrenalin or whatever app you use to go up to 70% when it reaches 88 degrees (or even less, try various degrees, like even 85 should be fine) and keep shaving mVs off until you find the game crashing within 2/3 minutes of gameplay (or even better, download uniengine superposition and run the benchmark with the 4k optimized preset). As a bottom line, the 5700xt will always run hotter than other cards. No sense in putting an aftermarket cooler on it. Until you don't see the junction temps go above 100 degrees and the core above 75 degrees you're very much fine.

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
I read a lot of reviews about cases when I built this computer and the air flow is the main reason I bought that case. A lot of people kept saying the Meshify C is one the top of air flow cases. Thanks for all your help with this. I will keep adjusting.

Reactions: David0ne86

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
I did some more tweaking and testing. Ramped up the Fan speed to 2600 RPM under load, lowered the voltage to 1049. It is running less hot but still spiking to 109C at time in the junction. Most of the time the card is running at 76 to 79C and the junction is about 99C most of the time, but as I said it does continue to spike up even with all that changed. I didn't notice any performance loss really, maybe a few FPS lower but nothing that I could really tell. I am beginning to think I need more air and fans if it is still spiking after all these changes. Odd thing is though I changed the power tuning and it won't let me go over the 30% limit. The video I watched put it at 50% with no issue, not really sure why mine won't go above 30. I'm going to open the case and test my theory with a fan and force more air through the case to see if it brings the temps down.

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
I ran my test and placed a small camp fan in the front of the case. It lowered the overall temp to down in the lower 70C's. The junction temp was an average of 99C with spiking to 107C a few times but mostly it was under 100C the majority of the time. I am beginning to think there are 2 options. 1. It just runs hot and I can do what I can to lower (like put in more fans) but it will just run hot. 2. Something is wrong with it and it needs to be RMA'd. Maybe its both I'm not sure.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
The problem is that i don't think you can rma since those temps are within specs.

Also, is it the founder model (aka https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-5700-XT-8G ) or a custom card like the gaming x or the mech OC? Because if it's the "baseline" 5700xt those temps seems to be actually good, because as you can see from this picture here https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/achE7FNfwC8tJ362yn6g2e.png it can reach temperatures to the mid 80s on the dye and 110 degrees constant on the junction. So IF IT IS, i'd say that that's the best result you can get, low 70 and junction temps withing 100 degrees (yes, some spikes here and there but it's spikes, it's not constant 110 degrees like before). The cooler on the base model is simply not good for the 5700xt, they botched it big time. You acheiving low 70s/100 is actually pretty good for that model. So i would just keep it. As i said, they will never accept an rma since your temps are well within specs.

Last edited:
Solution

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
This is my 5700XT https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-r...ming-x/p/N82E16814137471?Item=N82E16814137471 its a gaming X. It is weird though the ticket i put in with MSI said those temps are not normal but according to AMD they are. No it is definitely not a constant 110 anymore with the changes. I did purchase 3 more 120MM case fans last night so i will get those installed. I also downloaded MSI Dragon Center and adjusted the case fans to run a bit faster RPM to help cool things down more. I don' think I can keep the camp fan clamped to my desk to constantly run it through the case. :)

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yeah a gaming x should never reach those temps especially after such a heavy undervolting. I'd just rma it if you have some other cards laying around you could use in the meantime. Especially when msi themselves recognized those are def not normal temperatures for that card, Gaming x is actually one of the coolest 5700xt out there. So there's definitely something wrong with it.

Last edited:

Alences

Prominent
May 24, 2019
I have an older RX 580 I can put in it until I get the one back. Won't be able to do any intense gaming but maybe its just time for some older games. Maybe Mass Effect until the new legendary edition comes out.

Reactions: David0ne86

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
I have an older RX 580 I can put in it until I get the one back. Won't be able to do any intense gaming but maybe its just time for some older games. Maybe Mass Effect until the new legendary edition comes out.
Yeah, everyone has that back catalog of older unplayed games haha. Welp, glad they accepted your rma. Hopefully they can quickly send you a new one.

The easiest way to lower temps is to cap the framerate, are you buzzing along with 200fps in CSGO on a 60hrz display for example? drop it down to 120fps max and the game will remain butter smooth but you will stop pumpimg fps that to be honset you don't really need. If you suck at a game it makes very little difference if 120fps or 300fps....

Nov 11, 2021
While under load my 5700XT will be at around 80 C overall temp but my junction temp will shoot up to 110 C and sometimes go as high as 112 C but it does not stay there long. I have read that 110C is normal for the junction temp. I put a ticket in with MSI and they are saying it is not normal but according to the blog by AMD https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/...e-more-control-over-gpu-power-and/ba-p/418629 it is. It is possible that I just need some better airflow in the case to lower the temp such as getting a GPU cooler like the one linked or is MSI correct and the card needs to be RMA'd to be checked for defectiveness? I did swap it out and put in my old RX 580 and loaded up a game and it also ran at 80C but of course there is no junction temp for it to monitor on that card.

I'm not sure if this would help, but I've been mining with my radeon rx 5700 xt, but undervolting has been an issue in the past due to their junction temps, here is a screenshot on my settings, I hardly reach conjunction temps at 90'C at the lowest of 45-65'C and on a hot day about 85-90'C, core temps never reach above 75'C and watt usage is sustainable around 100-115w usage, I run my pc on a daily (24/7) basis with consistency on these temps. I have quite the mid level setup, 6 x 120mm fans including the CPU air cooler itself, nothing much OP due to cooling but a sustainable and consist cooling in the pc itself due to the arrangements of the fans itself, I find it very import on how airflow within the case is being handled.

hope this helps.
Note: This works perfectly fine in temps towards games as well, as well as mining and working on applications on the side, while getting GPU load, I get that a few people might be against mining, but the point of this comment is due to undervolting the radeon rx 5700 xt, under the pressure of GPU load on a daily basis.
1_kptrm4.png

2_jzbn42.png
3_r0uwu0.png

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS