sheaglass91

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018
So. This has started up again after recently stopping.

So in the past I've had black screens at 144HZ with my 5700XT. That was sort of solved by buying a display port cable over a HDMI. However, at absolute random, League Of Legends (load screen only) would cause the PC to restart. Nothing in the event viewer other than fatal hardware error.

I updated my BIOS today, as that was apparently a fix. Tried with previous drivers and the latest drivers for the GPU and now all of a sudden at least 5-6 times a game, the game will absolutely crash and cause a windows pop up saying my GPU is restarting.

I'm also just sick to death of AMD GPU's and when I can eventually get a 3080 I will, but I need a fix for this asap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Specs:

Ryzen 5800x
Gigabyte 5700xt
64GB Patriot Viper 4600MHZ (running at 3400Mhz)
Corsair 750W power supply
Sabrent 2TB NVME drive
B550F Wifi Motherboard
Steelseries mouse + keyboard
Acer 34 inch 144HZ monitor

Solution
Yeah I've tried already, but not working. I think I've found that if I set the ram to specifically 2733Mhz it seems to work. Having to do that to simply play a game which can be ran by a 10 year old PC with next to no problems is beyond stupid though.
What exact RAM kit did you buy? I was suspecting something going on with the RAM at first but forgot to post about it. If the RAM kit is a 4600mghz kit you need to find the right timings, voltage, and speed if you are not going to be using stock standard 2400mghz speed and loose timings or the 4600mghz xmp / DOCP setting. If I were you I would set the RAM to 1.4v then 18-22-22-44 timings at 3800mghz speed. and set infinity fabric setting to 1900mghz. See if that boots. If you...
I would reinstall GPU drivers with DDU. I do not know if this would help however the shortcut for restarting the graphics driver in win10 is Ctrl + Shift + Windows key + B. This refreshes the loaded gpu driver. It can help if your computer graphics driver hard crashes but the computer is still functioning.

Last edited:

sheaglass91

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018
I would reinstall GPU drivers with DDU. I do not know if this would help however the shortcut for restarting the graphics driver in win10 is Ctrl + Shift + Windows key + B. This refreshes the loaded gpu driver. It can help if your computer graphics driver hard crashes but the computer is still functioning.

Yeah I've tried already, but not working. I think I've found that if I set the ram to specifically 2733Mhz it seems to work. Having to do that to simply play a game which can be ran by a 10 year old PC with next to no problems is beyond stupid though.

What exact RAM kit did you buy? I was suspecting something going on with the RAM at first but forgot to post about it. If the RAM kit is a 4600mghz kit you need to find the right timings, voltage, and speed if you are not going to be using stock standard 2400mghz speed and loose timings or the 4600mghz xmp / DOCP setting. If I were you I would set the RAM to 1.4v then 18-22-22-44 timings at 3800mghz speed. and set infinity fabric setting to 1900mghz. See if that boots. If you meant that it was a 3600mghz 64gb kit disregard my settings suggestion and try the DOCP setting for the RAM at the advertised speed.

Solution

sheaglass91

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018
What exact RAM kit did you buy? I was suspecting something going on with the RAM at first but forgot to post about it. If the RAM kit is a 4600mghz kit you need to find the right timings, voltage, and speed if you are not going to be using stock standard 2400mghz speed and loose timings or the 4600mghz xmp / DOCP setting. If I were you I would set the RAM to 1.4v then 18-22-22-44 timings at 3800mghz speed. and set infinity fabric setting to 1900mghz. See if that boots. If you meant that it was a 3600mghz 64gb kit disregard my settings suggestion and try the DOCP setting for the RAM at the advertised speed.

Just went and checked. Its all good. I had already got my RAM timings all in check. Was just going to make sure there was nothing off, but its all right. I'm so confused by it.

It could be a Windows issue based on the event log. I'll run a few more tests and see if it happens. Trying running the game on different timings here, I'll let you know what I find.