[SOLVED] 5700XT Nitro+ Liquid Metal

Joseph_87

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
Hi all,

I bought a 5700 XT Nitro+ SE GPU. Well I don't know what else I would have expected. The edge temperatures are fine even on stock, but the hotspot and the fan noise along with it is, well horrible. I have a PC O11 Dynamic PC case. On stock I have 75-80C on edge and 100-105C on HotSpot after just a shy 30 minutes of Monster Hunter: World gameplay on ultra preset. I know there's Byski and Alphacool's water blocks but I don't want to watercool just yet. I don't really care that much with the HS temp, but since the fans are controlled according to HS temp over the Edge temp, this puppy blows with a whopping 41dB to 45cm distance which is louder than our side-by-side fridge. Down to around 40% fan speed, it's pretty damn good, but then I have to undervolt and downclock it to 2035MHz with 1055mV, in doing so I have the feeling that why did I spent this much on this GPU, I could have bought a weaker card and have the same.

I've seen a couple success stories on Reddit where people claimed to hit -20C temps on Hotspot using liquid metal. I never used LM before but not afraid to pop this baby open and give her a nice LM treatment, however I'm a bit hesitant as to what to use on the SMDs next to the GPU die. Some people say clear nail polish, some people use red nail polish, others have shown burnt nail polish, then again quick googling brought up kapton tapes. I'd lean towards Kapton tapes as they're a lot easier to clear if I move to an alphacool gpu block later on, but are those safe? I mean those shouldn't be electrically conductive, but is that the case for all? In my country there's no details regarding electrical conductivity or whatsoever. Given only: Kapton tape. That's it.

Solution
By definition, Kapton tape should be non-conductive.

You don't technically need any protection around the GPU die with a perfect application.... but if the LM was to spread out beyond the die, you'd likely run into problems.

Never tested the nail polish method myself, but I have heard of burning issues. The correct way to protect the SMDs/PCB would be conformal coating.... Although not sure how readily available it is vs nail polish.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
By definition, Kapton tape should be non-conductive.

You don't technically need any protection around the GPU die with a perfect application.... but if the LM was to spread out beyond the die, you'd likely run into problems.

Never tested the nail polish method myself, but I have heard of burning issues. The correct way to protect the SMDs/PCB would be conformal coating.... Although not sure how readily available it is vs nail polish.

Reactions: Joseph_87
Solution