Question 5700XT Red Devil max vram speed

Mar 5, 2023
I noticed that my 5700XT Red Devil, when watching just basic content, like YouTube, or other Online Movie platforms, the Vram Speed is all the time at Highest MHz... Like yeah, 480p is so much demanding (especially for Vram) that it needs to run at full speed ? Which causing GPU warming up pretty quick, and turning on Fans every 3-4mins, which is quite annoying..

Is there anything I can do with it ?
I have set it to 144hz 1080p, which actually keep vram at lowest speed at idle, but anything higher like 165hz just keeping it at 1750mhz all the time no matter what.

[AFAIK] VRAM is pretty much idle or active, thus VRAM frequency will either be idle or max. Unfortunately the driver/GPU determines what's classified as "idle", not you.

VRAM frequency alone won't heat up your GPU since it's only a small fraction of the total GPU power draw (maybe 20W or something, check GPUz).

You do have the ability to set/use frequency profiles in the driver page for tuning. You could utilize a profile with a lowered max core frequency (you could also cap VRAM frequency if you choose, but core frequency is more effective) for video playback to save a bunch of power and heat for those scenarios.

I want to say that refresh rates may have something to do with this, but this mostly depends if you have a secondary monitor.

And while a higher refresh rate does incur more power draw, that may not be the reason why the card isn't completely downclocking.