Question 5700XT vs 2070Super

Mar 5, 2023
I would like to ask you guys, for an explanation. Even if on paper those two cards are completely the same, like same 8Gb Vram, same speed, same Mem Bus 256bit, same amount of Shader/Cuda Cores 2560, same bandwidth 448GB/s. And even though 5700XT having a bit higher core clock speeds, the 2070S is still a bit better in terms of FPS.. Why is that ?
I mean it's not about all games, cuz there's a games that favourite AMD, and same thing with NVIDIA, but overall at 1440p 2070S performing a bit better.

The Cuda Cores are more efficient ? AMD still keeping back 5700XT's performance with bad drivers ?

D

Deleted member 2947362

It's down to some games run better on different GPU architecture or if the game is optimise better to a given architecture.

Just lately I would say that Nvidia's architecture has some technical advantages over AMD like raytracing, DLS, and I think GPU compute as well.

I just got a second hand RX 5600 XT I haven't had or noticed any driver issues (yet at least) using the latest driver and I imagine AMD will carry on supporting these cards with driver updates for quite a few years to come.

Mar 5, 2023
It's down to some games run better on different GPU architecture or if the game is optimise better to a given architecture.

Just lately I would say that Nvidia's architecture has some technical advantages over AMD like raytracing, DLS, and I think GPU compute as well.

I just got a second hand RX 5600 XT I haven't had or noticed any driver issues (yet at least) using the latest driver and I imagine AMD will carry on supporting these cards with driver updates for quite a few years to come.

Well, i have 5700XT Red Devil, and I can't actually complain about at all, cuz running at 1150V with +50% power limit, and it runs really cool, and over 2050mhz all the time, so performance would be equal or similar to 2070S, but in almost every YouTube channel, with this comparison, 2070S has slightly advantage over the 5700XT.

Also there is another feature like SAM and Resize Bar, and it also adding some preference. But in fact when compare 5700XT at launch to 2070S, now is much better.

But best advantage AMD has over the Nvidia, that their FSR is open source, and also upcoming FSR 3, which on parer seems to be new life for 5700XT, even for 2070s which cannot use DLSS 3 Frame Generation.

So will see in a future, but I guess 5700XT will take advantage over 2070S some day 🙈 (I know, too optimistic but will see)

They are so close. But I'd have to go with a the 2070s, it will work with DLSS and also work with AMD's FSR where AMD is just stuck with FSR only and not every title supports both, and more seem to support DLSS. Yeah it will use the older version of DLSS, but I would think would have a longer usable life span crossed multiple games than what the 5700xt would have. Also the 2070s will have a better encoder if you want the best encoder quality. Unless somehow magically AMD has changed that with that card, its not bad but not the best.

I my old 5700xt was a little monster using More Power tool, I loved that card.

I would like to ask you guys, for an explanation. Even if on paper those two cards are completely the same, like same 8Gb Vram, same speed, same Mem Bus 256bit, same amount of Shader/Cuda Cores 2560, same bandwidth 448GB/s. And even though 5700XT having a bit higher core clock speeds, the 2070S is still a bit better in terms of FPS.. Why is that ?
The RTX 2070 Super is a faster card overall than the RX 5700 XT. If they're the same price, that's what you should go for. I remember that Techspot loved the RX 5700 XT because it was a good deal less expensive than the RTX 2070 but performed similarly.

We're not talking about the RTX 2070 here though, we're talking about the RTX 2070 Super. What matters here is price but you haven't said if there's a price difference.
The Cuda Cores are more efficient ?
Not as a rule, no. It completely depends on the generation.
AMD still keeping back 5700XT's performance with bad drivers ?
What bad drivers? I've been using Radeons since the HD 4870 and I haven't had any driver issues except for a minor scaling bug with my R9 Furies that was easily solved.

Mar 5, 2023
They are so close. But I'd have to go with a the 2070s, it will work with DLSS and also work with AMD's FSR where AMD is just stuck with FSR only and not every title supports both, and more seem to support DLSS. Yeah it will use the older version of DLSS, but I would think would have a longer usable life span crossed multiple games than what the 5700xt would have. Also the 2070s will have a better encoder if you want the best encoder quality. Unless somehow magically AMD has changed that with that card, its not bad but not the best.

I my old 5700xt was a little monster using More Power tool, I loved that card.

Since FSR comes out, 5700XT received new life, regardless of not supporting DLSS, but if FSR 3.0 would works as AMD says, like DLSS Frame Generation, then AMD win as it will be open source, so if you with your 2070S would like to use frame generation, you would have to use FSR anyway.

RT performance isn't that great in 2070s so without DLSS or FRS, is not useable if you want 60+ fps. I know 5700XT don't supporting it at all, but for me personally RT isn't that great tho, to afford using it, and loosing so much performance.

DLSS as a AI deep learning which using dedicated TS cores, looks a bit better, but at higher resolutions, difference become less noticeable.

The best of the best way to use GPUs, would be just a pure power, native res etc, without any upscaling technologys. But it is what is, and thankfully AMD make the FSR open source, so any GPUs can take advantage of it.

Some day I gonna buy RX 7700XT as a next two steps from 5700XT, but we have to wait till it'll release, to see the price and performance 🙈