[SOLVED] 5700XT Warzone usage drop

Hamsiboy

Commendable
Jan 28, 2021
I have nitro+ 5700xt 8gb,r5 2600, 16gb ram. b450 Mboard, game installed on a m2 ssdd . My gpu usage dropping down 80 to 50- while this happening my game(warzone) freezing 1 sec, My vram usage on 90% but my in game Vram around 3129mb. Why dosnt my gpu use 100% or why this drop happening??

Solution
CPU bottleneck.

(Oversimplification)
  • The CPU is in charge of telling the GPU what to "draw" in each frame.
  • Once it receives the draw call from the CPU, the GPU draws/renders the frame and sends it off to the monitor.
  • If the CPU is underpowered, it may not be able to compile the draw call for the next frame to be sent to the GPU before the GPU finishes rendering the previous one. The GPU then needs to wait until the draw call comes so it can begin rendering the next frame. This results in <100% GPU utilization.
    • A lot of people with a CPU-limited scenario act to reduce graphics quality settings in search of higher FPS, only to realize that lowering graphics settings does litte/nothing to FPS.
  • If the...
CPU bottleneck.

(Oversimplification)
  • Once it receives the draw call from the CPU, the GPU draws/renders the frame and sends it off to the monitor.
  • If the CPU is underpowered, it may not be able to compile the draw call for the next frame to be sent to the GPU before the GPU finishes rendering the previous one. The GPU then needs to wait until the draw call comes so it can begin rendering the next frame. This results in <100% GPU utilization.
    • A lot of people with a CPU-limited scenario act to reduce graphics quality settings in search of higher FPS, only to realize that lowering graphics settings does litte/nothing to FPS.
  • If the details of each frame are comparatively difficult to render (aka, lots of details from the game engine and/or high graphics settings) the CPU will be able to "keep up" with sending draw calls to the GPU at/before the GPU finishes the previous frame. This results in at/near 100% GPU utilization. In this situation, a GPU upgrade will be most advantageous.

Last edited:
Solution
Hamsiboy I honestly wasn't certain that tennis2 was correct on this one, so I went to YouTube. I viewed about six YouTube videos with R5 2600/3600's, paired with RX 5700 XT GPUs, playing at 1080p resolution. All the game play went no higher than 70-ish percentile usage on the GPU. But when I watched videos with upgraded Ryzen 7 3700X or 5600X's, then the GPU usage was consistently between 97 - 99% GPU usage. Thank you for your question, as it never occurred to me that Warzone would perform this way.

tennis2 Good call.

Reactions: Hamsiboy

Hamsiboy

Commendable
Jan 28, 2021
CPU bottleneck.

(Oversimplification)
  • If the details of each frame are comparatively difficult to render (aka, lots of details from the game engine and/or high graphics settings) the CPU will be able to "keep up" with sending draw calls to the GPU at/before the GPU finishes the previous frame. This results in at/near 100% GPU utilization. In this situation, a GPU upgrade will be most advantageous.
then i need a new powerfull cpu like 5000series is that what should i understand here? But i ll try to oc my cpu i curious it ll do anything.

Hamsiboy

Commendable
Jan 28, 2021
Hamsiboy I honestly wasn't certain that tennis2 was correct on this one, so I went to YouTube. I viewed about six YouTube videos with R5 2600/3600's, paired with RX 5700 XT GPUs, playing at 1080p resolution. All the game play went no higher than 70-ish percentile usage on the GPU. But when I watched videos with upgraded Ryzen 7 3700X or 5600X's, then the GPU usage was consistently between 97 - 99% GPU usage. Thank you for your question, as it never occurred to me that Warzone would perform this way.

tennis2 Good call.
so 3600 doesnt for 5700xt. I need better than 3600x ?

then i need a new powerfull cpu like 5000series is that what should i understand here? But i ll try to oc my cpu i curious it ll do anything.
Overclocking your CPU will help....to a degree. Take note of what the current operating CPU frequency is and keep tabs on what % increase a respective overclock gets you. It's not like a 5% CPU overclock is going to give you a 50% FPS increase.

CPUs with hyperthreading (Intel) or SMT (AMD) are a strange beast. Once you're over 50% CPU utilization, you're then running into the multithreading, meaning you don't have to be at 100% to be bottlenecking the processor. However, if you were running an Intel core i5 from 9th gen or before, you'd see the utilization get much closer to 100% before you noticed the GPU bottlenecking it. Below are the queries I did and the videos that I watched excerpts from, in order to contribute to your forum post.

YouTube search queries
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rx+5700+xt+ryzen+5+5600+warzone
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=warzone+rx+5700+xt+ryzen+5+2600

YouTube results
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YecgD7QXH_s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlaw4ARfLw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkQsI4ZWrkc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGgT7pfxbzE

Last edited:
one thing i ddnty understand. My cpu about 60% if it would cpu bottleneck, it shouldnt be 100%, am i wrong?

You're looking at overall CPU utilization which doesn't tell you what the individual cores are doing. It only takes one maxed out core to cause the type of CPU bottleneck occuring here. Since the Ryzen 2600 has relatively low boost clocks, low single thread performance, and low IPC compared to newer CPUs, it easily causes this sort of problem in high frame rate gameplay.

so 3600 doesnt for 5700xt. I need better than 3600x ?

The 3600x improves on the Ryzen 2600, but there are still some of the same issues when trying to hit high frame rates. It wasn't until the new Ryzen 5000 series CPUs that AMD reduced internal latency in their CPUs and improved the IPC and overall clock speeds significantly. So if you want to fix your low GPU utilization problem all the way in one go and keep it that way (rather than a band-aid fix that leaves you with similar problems in the not-too-distant future) you should upgrade to a Ryzen 5600x for sure.