5770 problems

G

hey guys, i just installed my VTX3d 5770 in2 my system, problem is now the system aint booting, i installed my old graphics card to see if it would boot, and it does. so i installed the new driver, thinking that was the problem, but its still not working. im using a x16 2.0 if that means anything, but surely that shouldn't make the computer un-bootable?

many thanx

G

my old model is a ATi X1300 and my power supply is colors. and ya the card is defenatly getting power

G

the wattage is 450w, and im not sure if this means anything to you sir, but the 12v rating is 20A? or am i looking at the sticker wrong? and ya the plug is in the back of the 5770

G

i do not get any beeps or lights, apart form the power indicator on the case. and i get no video at all. it just sits there with the fans spinning and no indication of hard drive activity, could the interface type have something to do with it? like the one on my board is x16 2.0 and the card is x16 2.1?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
no, maybe you have a DOA card, btw what output are you using on the 5770 vs the old card?

and what brand make model is ur psu? just because the fans are spinning don't mean it's getting enough juice, the delta between the power req of these two are kinda BIG.

lok the model number or some form of ID number on there that can pin it's make down

G

oh right so that rules that one out then. so if its not the interface type, then what could it be? maybe its not receiving enough power? altho my X1300 works fine, and the 5770 is getting power cause i can hear and see the fans spinning. i could test in another system?

G

in response to theunholylancer:
and the brand name is colors. i never heard of it but it came with my case, which only cost me 22.99 lol and i don't know what you mean by output, the wattage or the display type? and ur saying i could have a dead card? :O

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
o lord thats most likely ur issue

that psu is not going to be near supplying the power you need....

22.99 for case AND power ?! how the mother of wow?!

you will be needing a new PSU.

the type and what nots can be found on the sticker, look for a model number but I have never heard of colours.

BTW the 1300 was considered a low end card about 4 years ago, while the 5770 is considered a upper - mainstream card TODAY, they will have massive power requirements....

btw why unholy lol?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
umm if that's so, you have have gotten a knock off of a off brand......

if you wanted CF the 5770s you would most likely needs a 650 or 700 watt item.

and if you are talking pounds, then I would have little clue as to pricing, and if I assume that 70 pound = 120 USD then I can recommand:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&cm_re=corsair-_-17-139-006-_-Product

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&cm_re=corsair-_-17-139-005-_-Product

IF you can get them in UK or where ever you are, if you can provide somewhere to look if you cannot find those models, then I can try to see what is the best available.

Both are CF and SLI ready,and should be more than enough for your future expansion needs.

G

ah thank you, the last one you sent me, the Corsair TX650W, is about £66 in the UK. which is perfect for my budget! i hear corsairs PSUs are pretty good, this true?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
about the corsair or ANY other PSU, you have to research how good they are individually:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article813-page4.html

read that page and you can see that it is indeed able to provide 650 Watts of power, and enough for a 5770 CF, maybe even more.

read the full review carefully to see what makes a good psu if you want, but i personally perfer hardware secrets' reviews and expliniation, as each of their review is detailed and helpful. But hey, they did not look at the 650 TX so I can't comment either way.

G

ah thank you, i shall look at the site and buy the right supply, and i'll keep that in mind, thanks a lot :)