5770 screen flicker and freeze

iball8888

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I just got a 5770 and recently I have been having problems. Periodically my screen will flicker with green pixels and then my computer would freeze (except for mouse) and then the screen will either black out, or show some other random solid color and then it would go back to acting normally.

This is really annoying and happens at the most random times. I just got this GPU too. Also..to be fair i also got a new mobo the Asus M3N72-D, but i doubt it is the board as everything else is fine. Is the card defective or something?

iball8888

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Sorry for the delay, I reinstalled the drivers and I wanted to see if it would stop. But it just happened again.

Ok Spec time:

Windows 7 Ult - Not a reinstall, using the same OS before the upgrades.
AMD Phenom Quad

Driver for the 5770: 8.723.0.0, Catalyst 10.4

I believe its the newest because I just got it last night.

The problem happens all the time. Whether I'm just surfing, watching a movie, or even playing a game.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I also have a Radeon HD5770. I had the same symptoms as you did when just browsing the internet or returning to desktop after monitor power-saving mode. After searching for an answer on this and similar forums, I learned that I had to raise the idle (2D) clocks of my gfx card from 157 / 300 MHz core /memory, which happened to be too low to maintain stability in my system, to 200 / 400 MHz by creating and activating a profile in CCC. This was 5 months ago. Since then, I have never experienced this problem again. The profile is an .xml file which you can edit in Notepad.

Since I am no gamer, I do not know if I have the issue during a game play.

Hope this helps.

iball8888

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

Nvidia 8800GT

-------------------------

Thank you suat. It took a little internet browsing but I found a tutorial on how to do it. So my idle is 200/400 now. I just want to see how it works. I will post again if it doesn't work.

aalkema

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Hi

I recently bought a new desktop, and I have the Sapphire 5770. I run into this exact same problem, except only when gaming. When I'm playing Team Fortress 2 it will freeze for a few seconds, the screen will go all green, beige or black, and then it will return to the game, working.

Any idea why this would happen?

Edit: I've been looking at my PSU, it's a Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W. It has two 12V rails with 18A on each.. is that enough? From what I've been reading elsewhere, that sounds a little low. Could that cause this?

I have the newest drivers, and my temperatures are quite low.

iball8888

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
So yeah, it has been a whole day..and I think the problem is gone. So far Suat's fix is the best.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=117633

You need to change the idle clocks from 157 / 300 MHz, to 200 / 400 MHz

So just make a new profile and follow the steps. One note is that if you are using Windows 7, the AppData folder is not in the My Documents, its under your username (C: /Users/"Username"). Just edit the xml and change the clocks to 200 / 400 MHz.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I am glad to hear that your problem is resolved.

In case, the problem returns, you may have to raise the idle clocks a little bit more. I had started with 400/600 and lowered them gradually until I found the sweet spot, 200/400. Anything less gives me headaches. My system: Intel i7-860 cpu; Sapphire Rad HD5770 gfx card; Kingston RAM DDR3-1333 (4x2GB);Asus P7P55D M/B; Antec NeoPower Blue 650W PSU; WD 500GB Caviar Black HDD; Gigabyte iSolo Case; Win 7 x64.

People having similar issues in games may try: (1) the same fix because, if the game slows at any time, the gfx card may lower the speeds resulting in instant TDR. (2) some people lowered the max speed by 25/50 MHz to lower the temperatures with the same profile method.

Regards

aalkema

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I tried adjusting my idle clock settings as mentioned, but that didn't fix it. My computer never freezes while I'm browsing, or things like that, it only freezes in game. Also, the higher the graphics requirements of the game, the faster it crashes. When I'm playing Civilization IV, it freezes every half hour, but will resume after a few seconds. When I play Just Cause 2, it crashes in 3 minutes.

Could the problem be my PSU? It has two 12V rails with 18A each, and I have a 5770. Does this mean I have 36A effectively, or do I need a better PSU?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
PSU could very well be the reason but did you try method (2) above, lower max clock speeds a little bit 25/50 using the profile method ? This is easier to do than to buy a new PSU. If it does not solve the issue, you can always up the max clock speeds to their previous values again using the same frofile.

You should also check power requirement of your system to see if your PSU meets the demand before you make a decision: http://www.antec.outervision.com/