5770 vertical line problem, has it been fixed yet?

civic

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
So I just put together my new Pc

i5
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156
8gb g.skill ram
xfx 5770
corsair 750tx
creative xfi xtrememusic sound card
windows 7 64 bit

installed a few games, and about 5min into anything I get tan vertical lines across the screen and am forced to reboot. after a bit of googleing I see that this is apparently a widespread issue.

Anyone else getting this? Has a solution popped up?

templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
This is why I've been going back and forth on whether I'm going to be ordering a 5750 or 5770 card. I keep hearing awful things about the drivers for Windows 7 64-bit.

I can't get a definitive answer from anywhere as to whether it's resolved or not. If I knew for sure I'd grab one.

I might just end up going with an NVIDIA card at this point because of it.

civic

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Yeah, every ati card I have ever owned has given me issues. Every nvidia card I have ever owned has never given me a single problem and they are all still working fine and being used today as I've given or sold all of my old cards to friends and family whenever I upgrade.

I don't think I'm going to buy an ati ever again, and I'm about to the point where I see if I can ship this thing back to newegg and get an nvidia. I just wish nvidia would hurry up and release a dx11 card.

avenger386

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009

isn't the 5750 and 5770 the same.....?

how would choosing one over the other make any difference. it's just clock speed and some shader units...

I had this same issue when I first had my 5870 installed, after using ATI Overdrive and changing to anything other than stock clock speeds, the problem stopped. I ended up OCing my core and memory by 50.

It's worked for others too. It the problem relates to how it manages it's relaxed memory settings.

civic

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
I'm using the hotfix.

I now get a brown screen 5 min into any game. It's the same thing as the vertical lines, just looks different now. Also the screen flickers constantly on menu screens.

Open up Catalyst Control Center by right clicking on your desktop and left clicking Catalyst Control Center.

At the top left of the CCC, there is drop down menu labled Graphics. Click on that and choose ATI Overdrive.

Now you have to unlock the ATI Overdrive by clicking on the icon of a lock.

Enable it, and move the slider to the left or right 5 MHz and apply it.

That's it. I personally raised the GPU clock and Memory Clock up by 50, which did give me another 5 FPS in crysis.

civic

Distinguished
May 7, 2007

This didn't work for me. I still ge the same problem after doing this.

I also took the card and tried on another PC

Nforce 680i sli
E6600 Core 2
4gb OCZ ram
corsair 750 tx
x-fi xtrememusic
Windows 7 64 bit

First of all I couldn't get the sound to work through the sound card no matter what I tried. I didn't try onboard as I was tired of messing with it and just wanted to test the 5770. I booted up Team Fortress 2 and as usual about 5 min into the game I got the problem. Except this time instead of vertical tan lines the entire screen just went black.

civic

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
I don't know if I should get a replacement 5770 or just get an nvidia.

Does newegg have a limit on home many times you can send back the card?
For instance could I send back this 5770, get a replacement 5770, then when that one most likely doesn't work aswell, I can send that one back and grab an nvidia?

I really would like this card to work, I NEED a card now, so I can't wait for the next batch of dx11 cards, or for nvidia to get around to releasing one. And if I get an dx10 card now it's going to be like 4 years before it's economically logical to upgrade again, so I'll pretty much spend the whole dx11 gen with a dx10 card.