5770 vs. 5850 price/pref ratio

mother242

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
i have bought a system all except the graphics card and have two make a choice between these two 5850 and the 5770. i was wondering about the price/perf ratio for these two cards. yeah just your thoughts on them etc. really just want to know which i should use.
thx

Windows 7 shouldn't be an issue.
If I were you I would get the HD5770. It will be quite good for your resolution for the moment. In a year+ when you feel the need for something better you can add another as your motherboard is a good one for crossfire. 2 HD5770s offer performance close to an HD5870 with a price similar to an HD5850. Probably less actually because a year from now a second HD5770 will probably be around $100.

mother242

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
kk i'll stick with my monitor it very good i like it. right thanks 4 yr elp.
ps this is completely off thread but do the fans take there power direct from the psu or from the motherboard

A video card that uses more than 75w uses an external power connector directly from the PSU as well as receiving power through the PCIe slot. The amount of power used to drive the fan is insignificant compared to the power to run the card itself.
If you mean the CPU fan it is usually plugged into the motherboard. The case fans usually get powered directly by the PSU.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
5770 is a piece of crap dont get it so many problems with it i had to return mine cause it is faulty allot of people have been having that issue

By a lot I assume you mean hardly any. There certainly haven't been a lot of people complaining about that card. You may have gotten a bad one. It happens but one time personal experiences shouldn't be generalized.

I suppose your 1 bad experience is considered "allot"? You are the first person of many, many, many that I have seen that say nothing but good things about the 5770?
I was skeptical because the memory bandwidth is only 128 bit, but I guess the fast GDDR5 makes up for it. Everyone I have ever seen that has one of these basically says the only thing better than 1 of them, is 2 of them in Crossfire.

U just got a bad one, that's not counted...
So, instead of 5770, what card do u recommend?