[SOLVED] 5800x high temps and poor performance

Sep 28, 2021
Hi all,

I know there's quite a few threads around for similar issues with this or similar CPUs, but couldn't find a solution so far.

Rig is:

5800x
Asus x570-i Strix
MSI AIO Coreliquid 240r cooler
32gb Corsair Vengeance 3600
3070 MSI

Back in the day I used to spend days on overclocking and tweaking settings and building custom loops and all that, I just don't have the time anymore - I just want this PC to work and the little time I have I want to enjoy it playing a game, rather than wasting time in settings, I guess I am getting old.

When I built this pc a bit more than 6 months ago, I remember reading quite a lot of PBO, Curve Optimizer and I had made some decent settings, that would allow for 4.5+ all core overclock without reaching thermal limits, hence it would sustain that. That's as far as I remember, it's been some time since I played around with this. Now recently, I noticed that the fans on the AIO are spinning up with every little load that goes on CPU, like opening a folder for example and it just started pissing me off, this constant fan spooling high/low - all this of course because temps go up very easily.

So I thought maybe it's time for some thermal paste change and a reseat of the block to make sure it does good contact. I did both, the block seems to sit OK on the heatspreader, but I have the same high temps.

Idle is at ~45 and Cinebench will just max out almost immediately to 90 C and all core clocks will go as low as 3.9GHz.

Now I tried setting PBO settings to PPT 105, TDC 70, EDC 95 and also tried curve optimizer with all cores at 10 negative and 20 negative at the best performing core. Cant' say it was a success.

Cinebench R20 scores used to be 6.200+ if I remember correctly, now 5.200/5.300.

TLDR; 5800x high temps, low performance, need advice on PBO settings, is my CPU a huge lemon?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

TLDR; 5800x high temps, low performance, need advice on PBO settings, is my CPU a huge lemon?

Thanks in advance!
How's your AIO mounted? In that MSI unit the pump's in the radiator so if it's on top it might be 'sucking on air', so to speak, and not cooling efficiently. It's best mounted in front so one of the tanks is above the pump...and it's using cooler outside air to cool the radiator too.

And 5800/5900/5950 are expected to run 'hot'....up to 90C. That's normal and by design so don't think it's bad if it does it. It will show frequent brief temp spikes even under light loads as a core boosts, so expect that too. Get HWInfo64, look for the CPU Die (average) temp sensor to get a better idea of the true thermal...

Thanks in advance!
How's your AIO mounted? In that MSI unit the pump's in the radiator so if it's on top it might be 'sucking on air', so to speak, and not cooling efficiently. It's best mounted in front so one of the tanks is above the pump...and it's using cooler outside air to cool the radiator too.

And 5800/5900/5950 are expected to run 'hot'....up to 90C. That's normal and by design so don't think it's bad if it does it. It will show frequent brief temp spikes even under light loads as a core boosts, so expect that too. Get HWInfo64, look for the CPU Die (average) temp sensor to get a better idea of the true thermal state as the other sensors reflect the instantaneous hotspot temp as a core boosts.

Plenty of advice on youtube for tweaking in PBO on 5800X's. The secret seems to be using curve optimizer with a slight negative offset undervolt.

Solution
Sep 28, 2021
I have an NR200p case and it's mounted on the side panel. In the beginning I had it bottom mounted (one of the reasons that I picked the MSI due to having the pump in the radiator).

Yeap already tried the PBO, need to tweak some more though.