[SOLVED] 5800X is running super hot ?

Aug 21, 2021
Hi people. I just installed a 5800x into an aorus x470 with new bios and chipset updates. I have a corsair h100i AIO and am seeing really high temps idle is around 60 C and getting to 80-91C in games. On IQUE I see around 40-55 C. I run everything on extreme being the fastest fan and pump setting to try and help. I continue to see 80-91 C on HWmonitor though. Any ideas as to what is causing this. Which do I trust, corsair or HWmonitor ? I used the corsair tmx50 thermal paste and applied a generous amount to it. I don't believe that is the problem but I could check and re-apply.

Any help would be appreciated

-Thanks

Solution
Applying more thermal paste than necessary will degrade the thermal transfer properties. You only need enough to fill the tiniest of voids. If any paste extends beyond the CPUs exterior then it's too much. If you do decide to reapply your TIM then use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

The H100i is the minimum 240mm rad for cooling a 5800x and would just cope without any Overclock.

Another cause of excessive heat is the thru flow inside your case and can make all the differance.

Describe your setup, the number and size of your fans.

Use HWinfo64 as another comparison (Do not use two temperature monitoring apps together) and stress test the system with AIDA64 to check your Thermals and Rail voltages under load.
With AIDA64 run the stress test...
Applying more thermal paste than necessary will degrade the thermal transfer properties. You only need enough to fill the tiniest of voids. If any paste extends beyond the CPUs exterior then it's too much. If you do decide to reapply your TIM then use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

The H100i is the minimum 240mm rad for cooling a 5800x and would just cope without any Overclock.

Another cause of excessive heat is the thru flow inside your case and can make all the differance.

Use HWinfo64 as another comparison (Do not use two temperature monitoring apps together) and stress test the system with AIDA64 to check your Thermals and Rail voltages under load.
With AIDA64 run the stress test for 20mins and take screen shots at the 20min mark if you wish for an analysis. Upload the file to IMGUR and obtain the bburl as a link to here. With HWinfo64 along side AIDA64 on your desktop you can monitor under load the temperature at the die and all RAIL voltages.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Hi people. I just installed a 5800x into an aorus x470 with new bios and chipset updates. I have a corsair h100i AIO and am seeing really high temps idle is around 60 C and getting to 80-91C in games. On IQUE I see around 40-55 C. I run everything on extreme being the fastest fan and pump setting to try and help. I continue to see 80-91 C on HWmonitor though. Any ideas as to what is causing this. Which do I trust, corsair or HWmonitor ? I used the corsair tmx50 thermal paste and applied a generous amount to it. I don't believe that is the problem but I could check and re-apply.

Any help would be appreciated

-Thanks
AMD has told us that temps up to the 90's is normal and expected for Ryzen 5800X CPU's. It's always better to run cooler, of course, but apparently it won't harm the CPU or affect it's life.

I'd trust neither IQue nor HWMonitor. The best utility to use for Ryzen is HWInfo64, especially for temperature readings off the CPU. Look for one called CPU Die (Average), that's the average of the many sensors across the die so it's a truer indication of the CPU's thermal state. Other sensors can be a 'hot spot', which is the one hottest sensor at the moment.

You should always run AIO pumps at or near maximum as that's what they're designed for but running radiator fans at max isn't likely to help much. What might help more is mounting the radiator in the front of the case and the fans so they're pulling or pushing cool outside air across the radiator. If mounted in the top it's using warm GPU air that's heating the liquid being used to try and cool the CPU.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021

With AIDA64 run the stress test for 20mins and take screen shots at the 20min mark if you wish for an analysis. Upload the file to IMGUR and obtain the bburl as a link to here. With HWinfo64 along side AIDA64 on your desktop you can monitor under load the temperature at the die and all RAIL voltages.
I have an NZXT H500 with two case fans one being an intake and the back one being an exhaust. The Room temp is 68 degrees Fahrenheit so it is taking in a decent temp. It is also on my desk. Then just the h100i. I think it's a decent amount. I had no trouble with my old 2700x granted it didn't draw that much power compared to the 5800x so I don't know the issue. I will do the stress test and upload a pic soon.

I have an NZXT H500 with two case fans one being an intake and the back one being an exhaust. The Room temp is 68 degrees Fahrenheit so it is taking in a decent temp. It is also on my desk. Then just the h100i. I think it's a decent amount. I had no trouble with my old 2700x granted it didn't draw that much power compared to the 5800x so I don't know the issue. I will do the stress test and upload a pic soon.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume 5800X power draw is greater than 2700X, at least in most common useage scenarios to any considerable degree.

The issue isn't power draw or heat output, it's power density. 5800X has all 8 cores on one 7nm die that is very small. Smaller size means less surface area to transfer heat across to the heat spreader. So hot spots will be hotter even at less power draw and, therefore, thermal output.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021
I wouldn't be so quick to assume 5800X power draw is greater than 2700X.

The issue isn't power draw, or heat output, it's power density. 5800X has all 8 cores on one 7nm die that is very small. Smaller size means less surface area to transfer heat across to the heat spreader. So hot spots will be hotter even at less power draw and, therefore, thermal output.
So what’s my problem then. I don’t understand why when I’m just playing games I see 90 C . It shouldn’t be happening in my system at all. I am about to run AIDA and upload the results.

Aug 21, 2021
Are you using HWInfo64 yet? and looking at the CPU Die(Average) sensor reading?
AMD has told us that temps up to the 90's is normal and expected for Ryzen 5800X CPU's. It's always better to run cooler, of course, but apparently it won't harm the CPU or affect it's life.

I'd trust neither IQue nor HWMonitor. The best utility to use for Ryzen is HWInfo64, especially for temperature readings off the CPU. Look for one called CPU Die (Average), that's the average of the many sensors across the die so it's a truer indication of the CPU's thermal state. Other sensors can be a 'hot spot', which is the one hottest sensor at the moment.

You should always run AIO pumps at or near maximum as that's what they're designed for but running radiator fans at max isn't likely to help much. What might help more is mounting the radiator in the front of the case and the fans so they're pulling or pushing cool outside air across the radiator. If mounted in the top it's using warm GPU air that's heating the liquid being used to try and cool the CPU.
Thans for your input. I will uninstall HWMonitor and use HWinfo. Also, my Rad is at the front of my case and fans are facing the inside of my system.

Click on it so its not deep fried. Sorry
Aida's an extreme test where it would be expected to run hotter. The temps are a bit perplexing though as I'd expect to see more variability in the CPU Die(Average) reading, like you do see in the CPU CCD(Die 1) which is the hot-spot readings on the CPU die.

What's it like when during less extreme useage? Like web browsing, gaming, etc?

Aug 21, 2021
Aida's an extreme test where it would be expected to run hotter. What's it like when during less extreme useage? Like web browsing, gaming, etc?
Normally it’s around 50-65 doing basic web browsing. In gaming it gets to 80-90 consistently. I just watched the video that flayed attached and changed settings in ryzen master. AMD has this thing stock more power that it knows what to do with. So I changed a number of things to get better temps. I only just did it so I will have to wait and see what it’s like.

Normally it’s around 50-65 doing basic web browsing. In gaming it gets to 80-90 consistently. I just watched the video that flayed attached and changed settings in ryzen master. AMD has this thing stock more power that it knows what to do with. So I changed a number of things to get better temps. I only just did it so I will have to wait and see what it’s like.

You're making the common mistake of confusing "temp" with "power use-age" or "thermal output". They're related but very much different. It's exactly like a match burning at 800-1000C in a room... it's power and thermal output is miniscule and incapable of heating the room up. In the same way, when you're gaming the radiator water temperature isn't getting warm. Have you any way to know that? does it blow hot air or just tepid warm?

When you run Aida your radiator probably will start blowing warm air because the hot spot temperature becomes the average. Mine does for my 3700X with a tweaked PBO that's probably pulling as much power as your 5800X with far less performance. But gaming I have to imagine it doesn't get any warmer than when browsing around the internet, same as mine.

Aug 21, 2021
You're making the common mistake of confusing "temp" with "power use-age" or "thermal output". They're related but very much different. It's exactly like a match burning at 800-1000C in a room... it's power and thermal output is miniscule and incapable of heating the room up. In the same way, when you're gaming the radiator water temperature isn't getting warm. Have you any way to know that? does it blow hot air or just tepid warm?

When you run Aida your radiator probably will start blowing warm air because the hot spot temperature becomes the average. Mine does for my 3700X with a tweaked PBO that's probably pulling as much power as your 5800X with far less performance. But gaming I have to imagine it doesn't get any warmer than when browsing around the internet, same as mine.
My AIO reads that it is pretty much always around 40-60 C. It doesn’t seem to be getting hot in that sense. It is just the cpu that’s getting extremely hot.

My AIO reads that it is pretty much always around 40-60 C. It doesn’t seem to be getting hot in that sense. It is just the cpu that’s getting extremely hot.
That's exactly what I'm saying. The CPU temps you're seeing are the hot spot temps, the hot spots are just like the match in the room. Individual hot spots flashing up and going back down can't heat up the CPU die any more than a match can a room...not until you light off hundreds of them. That's what happens when Aida kicks up an all-core, AVX workload to stress the CPU.

That's the way the CPU is designed to work. Boost a core, temp spike in one circuit then it moves to another. If you can do it without killing performance go right ahead and do whatever, but I'd trust AMD's engineers to know what they're about. If they screwed up, it will be easy enough for them to fix too as they're almost constantly updating AGESA code to motherboard mfr's to make changes.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's the CPU's hot spot temps, the hot spots are just like the match in the room. Individual hot spots flashing up and going back down can't heat up the CPU die any more than a match can a room...not until you light off hundreds of them. That's what happens when Aida kicks up an all-core, AVX workload to stress the CPU.
I understand that, but AIDA temps and gaming temps were exactly the same. Somehow my CPU is not at 100% stress but acting like it is in esport ready titles like Rainbow Six Siege.

I understand that, but AIDA temps and gaming temps were exactly the same. Somehow my CPU is not at 100% stress but acting like it is in esport ready titles like Rainbow Six Siege.
The average temps? you will DEFINITELY get hot spots spiking to 90C (AMD's said it is designed to do that) but are they AVERAGING that high while gaming? The average column is the most revealing.

Also look at individual core temp averages(expand that sensor).

The only thing to make sure of, even though I have to imagine you've already gone through the routine, is checking your water block mounting. You may even have changed thermal paste. Just make sure all fasteners are evenly tightened. But in the end, if everything is well assembled AMD's got the liability if anything goes wrong while you're getting comfortable with the new hardware...so long as you're running with stock settings.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021
The average temps? you will DEFINITELY get hot spots spiking to 90C (AMD's said it is designed to do that) but are they AVERAGING that high while gaming? The average column is the most revealing.

Also look at individual core temp averages(expand that sensor).

The only thing to make sure of, even though I have to imagine you've already gone through the routine, is checking your water block mounting. You may even have changed thermal paste. Just make sure all fasteners are evenly tightened. But in the end, if everything is well assembled AMD's got the liability if anything goes wrong while you're getting comfortable with the new hardware...so long as you're running with stock settings.
Oh ok thanks for your help man. However I just changed some clocking in ryzen master. I lowered some things and didn’t make them higher. They reduce power and heat on the cpu while still getting same if not a bit better performance. Do you recommend I keep them or revert to stock and if it breaks I just get a new one.

Oh ok thanks for your help man. However I just changed some clocking in ryzen master. I lowered some things and didn’t make them higher. They reduce power and heat on the cpu while still getting same if not a bit better performance. Do you recommend I keep them or revert to stock and if it breaks I just get a new one.
What settings?

I'm not sure how you're assessing performance. Ryzen's way too dynamic with clock changes to look at clocks in utilities and infer performance at all. The only way to do it right is use a decent benchmark; cinebench 20 or 23 are very good. Do both multi-thread and single-thread; single thread is most important for gaming performance.

UserBenchmark might be OK but ignore any comparisons to other systems; take numbers and compare only to your own system.

Many of the internet hacks for lowering temp are effective at that and may not hurt gaming performance if done the way they say but they can limit multi-threaded performance. Some (like the conventional all-core overclocking) might not hurt multi-threaded but can really kill single threaded. So be careful which you're following, and use a benchmark to assess performance.